Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

VW Samba T1 Official Build Diary - Pack 8 Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 21 August 2022 20:50:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All,BigGrin

Here we go with the start of Pack 8.

Stage 68

Heating Parts

Parts supplied:
Front heating jacket upper, Front heating jacket lower, Pedal cables, Brake fluid line, Tube, Clutch cable, Screws BD04 and BP09. For BD04 read BP04 Pic 1.

In this stage we will be adding more of the heater system, hydraulic pipes and cables. A schematic for which can be seen in Pic 2.

Ok, here`s something a little different: For the first time in this build, I find myself disputing the pdf instructions. To that end where there is a potential issue the text will be “RED” in colour.

In the pdf`s for this stage, (and I can`t find a newer pdf) there are some errors in my opinion.
First, is that the pdf`s screws supplied, stated for this stage are BD04/BP09 and the screws that I received are BP04/BP09.

The screws supplied (BP04) do actually screw into plastic parts, so I`m assuming it’s a typo error.

From this point forward I will notate, (for this stage only) BD04 as BP04.

Combine the two parts of the front heating jacket Pic 3 and secure them with two BP09 screws as shown in Pic 4.

Turn the chassis over and insert the posts on the heating jacket into its two corresponding holes in the chassis Pic 5, then turn the chassis back over and secure the front heating jacket with two BP04 screws as indicated in Pic 6.

Now turn the chassis over again and fit the brake fluid line alongside the front heating jacket Pic 7 and secure the line from above with two BP09 screws as in Pic 8.

Now fit the clutch cable to its points in the chassis, pressing the ends of the cable into the corresponding holes. Pic 9

Then install the three pedal cables into position. Pic 10

Here is my second issue with these pdf instructions. If we have just fitted the clutch cable (as in the previous instruction), how can we then fit three pedal cables, (unless the T1 had four pedals).

At this point, I have to make an assumption: As I can`t find any info to the difference.

One cable: accelerator, second a brake control to the opposite side of the vehicle where the brake hydraulics are situated and third the handbrake cable.

Finally, “fit the tube into its hole in the chassis”.

Sorry, but this is also looking incorrect as the pdf does not show where the second end of “the tube” goes.

I have indicated in Pic 11, where the other end of the pipe should go in my opinion.

Stage Complete in Pic 12, carefully store any remaining parts in a stage labelled bag.
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
1.JPG
2 Stage 68.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

delboy271155
#2 Posted : 28 August 2022 15:59:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Stage 69

Ok, here we go with the next Samba stage. There is an error in the pdf that I have noted in RED below.

Central Frame and Heating Duct

Parts supplied:
Central frame, Heating duct, Screws BP03 and BD04. For BP03 read BD03 Pic 1.

In the pdf`s for this stage, (and I can`t find a newer pdf) there is an error in my opinion.

The pdf`s screws supplied, stated for this stage are BP03/BD04 and the screws that I received are BD03/BD04.
The screws supplied (BD03) do actually screw into metal parts, so I`m assuming it’s a typo error.
From this point forward I will notate, (for this stage only) BP03 as BD03.

As before I`ve attached a schematic for the work being done in this issue, see Pic 2.

Here is a point to note: the ends of the heating duct are semi-circular in shape as shown in Pic 3.

Turn the chassis upside down and place the heating duct along the centre of the chassis, placing it into the two recesses in the frame, with the flat faces downward toward the chassis. Pic 4

Next identify the end of the central frame that angles out slightly. Then mount the frame over the heating duct, onto the chassis, with the angled section identified previously towards the rear and press the frame into place as indicated in Pic 5.

Now secure the rear of the frame with two BD03 screws Pic 6 and the front of the frame with two BD04 screws as in Pic 7.

Stage Complete Pic 8, carefully store any remaining parts in a stage labelled bag.

1.JPG
2 Stage 69.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

delboy271155
#3 Posted : 31 August 2022 15:59:31

Stage 70

I`m starting to assume that this pdf was a late Friday production, as this stage has notation errors as well.

Anyway on we go.BigGrin

Front Suspension

Parts supplied: Front suspension lower, Front suspension upper, Right suspension stop, left suspension stop, Steering damper body, Screws BD04. For BD04 read BP04 Pic 1.

In the pdf`s for this stage, (and I can`t find a newer pdf) there is an error in my opinion.

The pdf`s screws supplied, stated for this stage are BD04 and the screws that I received are BP04.

The screws supplied (BP04) do actually screw into plastic parts, so I`m assuming it’s a typo error.

From this point forward I will notate, (for this stage only) BD04 as BP04.

As before I`ve attached a schematic for the work being done in this issue, see Pic 2.

Place the steering damper body over the hole in the front suspension lower Pic 3 and secure it with a BP04 screw. Pic 4.

Next identify the sides of the front suspension upper, noting that each side is identified by a letter: L for the left side, R for the right side, Pic 5.

Now check the suspension stops for their left and right designations and then fit the left suspension stop into the slot in the left side of the front suspension upper Pic 6 and the right suspension stop at the other end of the part Pic 7.

At this stage your built items should match those in Pic 8.

Now insert the two posts of the suspension lower into the corresponding holes in the suspension upper Pic 9 . Hold the parts together as shown in Pic 10 and secure the parts with four BP04 screws as indicated in Pic 11.

NB: Please ignore the final picture for this stage in the pdf instructions as it incorrectly indicates where the parts will fit later.

Stage Complete Pic 12, carefully store any remaining parts in a stage labelled bag.

1.JPG
2 Stage 70.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

delboy271155
#4 Posted : 03 September 2022 17:09:37

Stage 71

Hi All,

Here we go with stage 71 and the pdf errors start early. I will highlight them in “RED” as before.

Left Front Wheel Suspension

Parts supplied:
Left upper suspension arm, left lower suspension arm, Shock absorber body, Shock absorber shaft, Shock absorber spring, Washers, Steering rack, Plate, Screws BP10 and BD06. Pic 1

Now here`s the first issue: In Pic 2 you will note that the upper and lower suspension arms have been cross referenced in the pdf parts list. I have amended the part numbers to what they should be in the clipped picture.

The good news is that that the schematic for this stage that I`ve attached as Pic 3 is correct, as is the notation in the instructions of the pdf.

So, let`s get building:

Fit the shock absorber shaft onto the left lower suspension arm as in Pics 4 and 5 and secure the strut to the arm with a BD06 screw as indicated in Pic 6. Now retrieve the front suspension assembly from Stage 70 and fit the lower suspension arm onto the left side of the assembly Pic 7, securing the lower arm with a BP10 screw Pic 8.

Now place the shock spring onto the shock shaft Pic 9. Then take the shock absorber body and fit it over the spring, ensuring that the shock body is orientated with the square face as shown in Pic 10. Now secure the shock body to the suspension with a BP10 screw as shown in Pic 11.

Next fit the upper left suspension arm onto the suspension assembly as in Pic 12 and secure with another BP10 screw as shown in Pic 13.

Retrieve the left front wheel and place the wheel hub next to the suspension arms.

Pic 14 shows the error in the clipped pdf picture and Pic 15 shows the correct orientation as shown in this build.

Using Pic 16 as your guide connect the suspension arms onto the wheel hub. Now insert one of the washers into the recess of the upper arm as in Pic 17 and secure it with a BD06 screw Pic 18, then repeat this process with the lower arm as shown in Pic 19.

Stage Complete Pic 20, carefully store any remaining parts in a stage labelled bag.

1.JPG
2 Stage 71 parts.JPG
3 Stage 71.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
20.JPG

delboy271155
#5 Posted : 05 September 2022 14:50:32

Stage 72

Here we go with stage 72 and the pdf errors start early again. I will highlight them in “RED” as before.

Right Front Wheel Suspension

Parts supplied: Right upper suspension arm, Right lower suspension arm, Shock absorber body , Shock absorber shaft, Shock absorber spring, Washers, Steering damper shaft, Right steering arm (short), Left steering arm (long), Screws BD03 and BP05, Washer screws BD06, BD07 and BP10. Pic 1

Now here`s the first issue: In Pic 2 you will note that the upper and lower suspension arms have been cross referenced in the pdf parts list. I have amended the part numbers to what they should be in the clipped picture.

As in the previous stage the good news is that that the schematic for this stage that I`ve attached as Pic 3 is correct, as is the notation in the instructions of the pdf.

So, let`s get building:

As you will see, this stage is the same as the previous one, only on the opposite side of the vehicle. I have therefore pictured it with less detail by combining some of the stages.

Start by fitting the shock absorber shaft onto the right lower suspension arm and secure the shaft to the arm with a BD06 screw. Pic 4

Now retrieve the front suspension assembly from Stage 71 and fit the lower suspension arm onto the right side of the assembly, securing the lower arm with a BP10 screw as in Pic 5.

Now position the shock spring onto the shock shaft, Pic 6. Then take the shock absorber body and fit it over the spring, securing the shock body to the suspension with a BP10 screw, Pic 7.

Next fit the upper right suspension arm onto the suspension assembly and secure it with a BP10 screw as indicated in Pic 8.

Retrieve the right front wheel and place the wheel hub next to the suspension arms. Pic 9 shows the error in the clipped pdf picture and Pic 10 shows the wheel hub in the correct orientation placed between the suspension arms as they should be.

To finish off this stage, insert one of the washers into the recess of the upper arm and secure the parts with a BD06 screw Pic 11 and repeat this process with the lower arm as shown in Pic 12.

Stage Complete Pic 13, carefully store any remaining parts in a stage labelled bag.

1.JPG
2 Stage 72 parts error.JPG
3 Stage 72.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG

delboy271155
#6 Posted : 07 September 2022 14:53:37

Stage 73

Electrical System

Parts supplied:
Circuit board, Speaker, Speaker support, Battery box, Steering box, Horn, Switch, Circuit protector, Tabs (small, medium and large, Screws BP03, BP04, BD03 and BD04. Pic 1

Retrieve the parts shown from Stages 71 and 72 as shown in Pic 2. I have attached the schematic for this section of the build in Pic 3.

Now place the chassis upside down and retrieve the front suspension assembly, fitting it into the corresponding recess in the chassis Pic 4. Whilst holding the suspension assembly in place, carefully turn the chassis over and secure the front suspension from the other side of the chassis with two BP05 screws. Pic 5

Position the steering rack between the two parts of the front suspension, making sure the rack sits in its guide rails Pic 6 and then mount the plate onto its posts above the rack, fixing it with a BD06 screw at its centre Pic 7.

Now insert the steering damper shaft into the damper installed in Stage 70 as shown in Pic 8 and place the other end of the shaft onto the steering rack extension, securing it with a BD03 screw being careful not to overtighten it. Pic 9

NB: At this point we are about to fit the left and right steering arms. There is very little difference in their lengths, only 1 – 2mm and they can be fitted on the opposite sides to where they should be. As an aid to identification, I have noticed that the left (long) arm also has two small pips on its length that I have highlighted in Pic 10.

Now fit the left steering arm (long) between the left wheel hub and the steering rack, securing it with a BD07 and a BD03 screw as shown in Pic 10. Then mount the right steering arm (short) in the same way as indicated in Pic 11.

Your front suspension and steering should now look like that shown in Pic 12.

We now have a rolling chassis with a full set of wheels.

Stage Complete Pic 13, carefully store any remaining parts in a stage labelled bag.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3 Stage 73.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG