Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Hachette Mk1a Spitfire 1/18 - Weathered Options
S4Simon
#1 Posted : 28 August 2022 10:32:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Another build finished, this time it's Hachette's 1/18 scale Mk1a Spitfire. For me personally this has been a very enjoyable build. The finished model looks great. The panel gap issues mentioned by many other builders are non existent ( I did make a couple of adjustments, which took all of 5 minutes to close any gaps that surfaced during the final stages of the build). I am active on many social media pages and am aware of the many builders that have given up on this build through frustration and the re-works handed out by Hachette. I didn't really come across difficult problems during the 2 year build, and any issues were part of the build process that any seasoned modeler just deals with.

So here's some pics of my finished build. I really wanted to show that this is really a fun build that produces an excellent reproduction of the Mk1a Spitfire.

My Uncle flew Spitfires during the course of the war and was based in Darwin, Australia. I have added a photo of him standing next to 'my' Spitfire, and also some exerts from his memoir where he discusses the time that he had to bail out after confronting Japanese fighters off the coast of Australia. He splashed down 18kms out to sea and some 100kms from the nearest civilization. He was lost for 22 days before being rescued by an Aboriginal tribe.

Build difficulty rating: I give the spitfire a build difficulty rating of 4 (out of 5). There are a few technical issues to resolve with regard to panel gaps, but these are easily overcome. Also there’s some rework to do towards the end of build which requires some disassembly of the model which could be frustrating for some, but really it’s a 30 minute job to complete.

Electronics difficulty rating: I have given a difficulty rating of 4. There is a bunch of fiddly wiring to contend with here. Straight forward if you follow the instructions.

Overall the end product (as a static model) is excellent. The supplied base is overly big, but many including myself have build a reduced size base.

Enjoy the finished pics and the short read. :-)

BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 28 August 2022 12:17:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work, you’ve done a great job on the weathering. Love Love Drool

Mark
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 31 August 2022 20:36:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

excellent, stunning end result. WTG

Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Kev the Modeller
#4 Posted : 31 August 2022 20:43:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

You've done a fabulous job on your Spitfire Simon and you should be rightly proud of the end result. I like your weathering, typically dirty for a well used aircraft in the South West Pacific Theatre during WWII, but not overly stated. Pretty much spot on to be honest?!

Nice also, to read about your Uncle's exploits during the conflict and a fitting tribute to him. Well done! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
DaDokta
#5 Posted : 02 September 2022 07:52:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your Spitfire looks awesome - fantastic job with the weathering!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
admin
#6 Posted : 04 September 2022 06:02:08

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I wonder if Agora will release this build over here? I’ve admired this from afar.

I was just looking at my unstarted DeAgostini Russia IL-2 last night. That’s a nifty build.

Best,

Mark
S4Simon
#7 Posted : 04 September 2022 08:40:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It’s been a troublesome build for many. From the 20 or so finished videos That I’ve viewed I reckon only 5% have behaved ‘normally’.

If you’re a seasoned model builder then the build issues are nothing to worry about, just work the problem and move on. The finished model is a thing of beauty. I’m entering the Spitfire into the state model titles next month so we’ll see what the public think.

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
S4Simon
#8 Posted : 10 September 2022 02:41:43

For anyone interested in building their own base, here’s the wiring diagram I sketched up for mine. Base cost me around $125 to make. $50 lithium battery, $25 switch, $30 in wood, plus grass, glue and screws.