Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Old 1:20 F1 Renault to save my sanity Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 11 September 2022 16:08:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All,

Had a mishap very recently and I`m now incapacitated for some while. Crying

I`ve partially torn the Achillies Tendon in my right ankle, Blink Blink heavily bandaged and on crutches.

Now, as I`m not a young Flamingo I can`t stand on one leg for any length of time and I`m not the sort of person who can sit doing nothing. So, I`ve pulled this from the magic box and will attempt a build that will be all brush painted and photographed in less-than-ideal conditions, but it will save my sanity. Also, if my frustration takes over it won`t be a large financial loss. Blink

It`s a 1:20 Tamiya kit of the "Renault RE30B Turbo". Don`t know how old the kit is, but Renault introduced this a year after the standard RE30 in circa 1982.

Pic of the kit box attached.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
IMG20220911133922.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#2 Posted : 11 September 2022 18:42:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Might keep your sanity in place, but will also keep your mind off the pain in the foot. Well until you move that is.Flapper

Mark
Silent_Running
#3 Posted : 11 September 2022 18:53:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Hi Derek,
I’m sorry to hear about your injury. Sounds very painful indeed. I’ll be following your build mate 👍Crying
Kind regards
Glenn
Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 11 September 2022 19:49:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi there Derek!
You have my sincere sympathy for your injury and I know exactly what you're going through! A few months before the pandemic started I did something to my achilles tendon too - haven't got a clue what did it - I put it down to using old and new sandals and boots during the wet weather somehow stretching the tendon. Whatever it was the damned thing swelled up to three times the size of the healthy one on the other foot and it was agony at times!
In the old days there used to be treatments for it but the 'modern' practice is to let it run its course (injecting steroids into the tendon sometimes made it worse in the long run apparently - there were days when I would have happily injected anything in there to make the pain go away!) It took around six months before the thing eventually got better so best of luck and I hope it doesn't take so long for you!Cool

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 12 September 2022 11:29:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That really sounds like 'OUCH'.

Hopefully it wont take too long before you're back on your feet again - no pun internded.
Have fun with the build.

Roy.
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 12 September 2022 20:05:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Many thanks for your sympathies, all of you.

To start this build, I quote "necessity is the mother of invention". Blink

Reason being I needed to prime the frets (those that needed to be) and I use rattle cans normally.

Issue was, whilst standing on one leg, with a crutch for support, holding a fret and then spraying. Confused Blink Confused

Looked at what I had around and found a notice pin board, so using map pins I held the frets against the board, balanced and sprayed. Worked, but obviously only on one side. Having left to dry turned over and repeated and I`m happy with the results. No major paint runs or missed bits, so onto the brush work.

Well, it`s a start.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
2.jpg

delboy271155
#7 Posted : 18 September 2022 13:59:01

Hi All, BigGrin

Been painting bits and pieces of this kit and not in any special order. Just worked on the basis of while a paint was open, what else needs the same colour.

Reached a point today where I could start on the engine construction and instantly remembered why I`ve not built many kits in this scale. Blink Blink It`s very small, even then a total of 23 parts are involved.

Pic 1 shows the base of the engine attached to one end along with the second end and the central "V" block, all around a 1p piece for scale.

Pic 2 I have attached the central "V" to the second end and have placed (not glued yet) them on the engine base shown in pic 1. This is to make sure everything sets square for the next assembly stage. Also included is the first engine block side. Once the block sides are installed along with the rest of the block the heads will be next.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
3.jpg
4.jpg

goddo
#8 Posted : 18 September 2022 16:17:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Derek,
That does look a tad fiddly and I'm not sure my hands would be steady enough to take on a painting task like that.
Well done, sir.
Chris
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 19 September 2022 08:09:14

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Derek.Love Love I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall watching you primer paint those parts. Now you know why Long John Silver didn’t take up modelling.LOL Flapper

Mark
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 19 September 2022 16:07:44

Hi All, BigGrin

Thanks for looking in, this is a fun little build but still trying to make at least a half decent job. Blink

@ Goddo: Thanks for the comments, you are right it`s definitely a tad fiddley, but the good thing is that most of this stage will be under cover of the body panels. Hooray LOL

@ Mark: The impersonation of the Flamingo would have made a good pic Flapper. I once took a pic of a Flamingo and a wildlife park and they had rings on their legs that had three letters on them and for real it wasn`t until I looked closer at the pic that I noticed one had the letters "GBH" on it.

"YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED" LOL Flapper LOL Flapper LOL

So, done some more to the engine as in getting the block together as shown in pics 1 and 2. Then tried the paint job on the heads (not so good) as shown in pic 3.

Micro blue stripes on an aluminium head, is not easy in this scale. I painted them with Ali paint, covered that in blue, then scraped the blue of the high spots. Looks naff close up but will be under cover in the end. Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

roymattblack
#11 Posted : 19 September 2022 19:37:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

PLEASE keep posting.
It's a GREAT update that is keeping the forum going during this QUIET period.Love
delboy271155
#12 Posted : 22 September 2022 12:25:01

roymattblack wrote:
PLEASE keep posting.
It's a GREAT update that is keeping the forum going during this QUIET period.Love

Hi Roy, BigGrin

Posting will continue but may be a couple of days delay as I`ve had to order replacement paints today as some of mine are either empty or past their best.

The other unfortunate issue is that my mobility has further decreased as my Achillies has now been designated as a rupture and I`m now in a plaster cast for a minimum of six weeks The perils of getting old Eh!!!Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

birdaj2
#13 Posted : 22 September 2022 21:59:54

You sound like you are really in ”the wars” Derek.

Hope you get on the mend and recover soon.

I remember my younger brother used to like these bigger Tamiya kits in his youth and fairly sure he built this one.

They are great looking kits.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach