Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

16 Pages «<910111213>»
The DeAgostini 1/8th Scale Ferrari 312 T4 Options
goddo
#201 Posted : 30 September 2022 11:31:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Another fine update, Robin.
Lovely to see the attention to detail.
Keep it coming.
Chris
Plymouth57
#202 Posted : 04 October 2022 20:44:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Many thanks for that Chris! Here it comes!BigGrin

(Just been experimenting with screenshots to see if I can use pics from the official build instructions to show the differences between the stock build and the upgrades, didn't realise the screenshot wiped out my previously selected text from the diary I had all ready to paste!Blushing )
Got it back now!BigGrin
As I said last time, I’ve been looking forward to this part for some time. This is the one section which is, compared to the smaller Tamiya version, almost ridiculously under detailed! As you will see below, the real thing is liberally covered with stickers and labels, most of which are supplied in the Tamiya decal sheet. This kit, much bigger than the 1/12th version comes with – absolutely nothing!
On the good side of course, we have much more opportunity to get scratch building!
Photo 1 shows the contents of Pack 54, from top to bottom, the pair of plastic struts which secure the engine block to the chassis, the one that looks like a golf club also secures the front part of the ECU, the computer brain which controls most of the engine’s performance. Below the struts is the plug, which fits into the ECU and carries (according to the official build) three cables from the instrument cluster up front. (There’s more than three in real life – MUCH more than three!) Finally at the bottom is the ECU itself with a separate coil which is connected to the central lead from the distributor.
Photo 2 shows the nice matt black finish on the kit part from the bottom, the spring tweezers are gripping the two pegs which fit into the bottom bracket on the left hand strut, the third peg on the other end eventually fits into a hole on the gearbox coming later. Photo 3 shows the real thing and as you can make out, the actual finish is a more metallic semi gloss black so the first task was to airbrush the ECU with a thinned down MiG Satin Black acrylic as shown in Photo 4. To make things easier I partly pushed the coil into its two locating holes and airbrushed the lot at the same time. Once the satin black was dry, I then dry brushed the edges and details with Vallejo Sky Grey to accentuate the depth as seen in Photo 5. Next, as shown in Photo 6, the various screws and bolts were picked out in MiG Matt Aluminium followed by a Blue Grey Enamel wash. The yellow arrows indicate the holes drilled into the body of the ECU to take the wires, which would be added in later.
As I mentioned, the Tamiya kit comes with a set of decals for their ECU but with this one you get nothing at all! So the question was, where can I source those decals? I could have purchased a set of the Tamiya ones, there are third party suppliers out there selling a couple of variations on the Tamiya set. They are 1/12 scale of course but I could easily scan them on the computer and enlarge them up to 1/8th scale, what put me off that route however was the cost – most of them are from model supplier websites which means extra postage which in most cases put a single sheet of decals up around £15 - £20!Blink What I decided to try would only cost me a strip of inkjet decal paper! Photo 7 illustrates some of the images I found on the internet, some of them like the HT coil labels were from general searches for Ferrari 312T4 engine with the images page being used and others, like the Magneti Marelli and warning stickers were taken from the photos of the entire engine, cropping out the labels and in some cases rotating them back to ‘right way up’. I did find some Magneti logos which I managed to colour fill back to the correct colours (though with some difficulty as my 25 year old Corel program insisted on providing only the colours of the original image to play around with! Corel Printhouse was replaced by Corel Draw years ago, the Printhouse came free with my old computer back in 2000 – Corel Draw is over £100 on ebay for a second hand disk!)Crying
The cropped images were lined up in the Printhouse design, (using the single sided sign format), I always design the decal sheets with a single or multiple lines starting tight to the top of the page, that way I can run the decal sheet through the printer and simply slice off the required print keeping the rest of the decal paper for the next time! Photo 8 shows the evolution of the set of decals: at the top was the first set printed off on plain paper just to check they would come out ok. At this point they are obviously far too big! The second line was reduced down significantly to what I thought looking by eye might be around the size but was still too big. A couple more trial and errors brought them down to the correct size at which point I began to select and duplicate the individual images ending up with a series of copies, which went right across the width of the paper. The third line is the final ‘proof’ print still on plain paper and finally, the final print on the white decal paper using ‘glossy paper’ and ‘high quality’ print settings on the Epsom EcoTank 2720 printer (the ink levels have hardly moved in six months!) Photo 9 shows a couple of the decals up close, the Magneti Marelli label was the logo at the top right in Photo 7, I couldn’t get the ‘Ignition system for racing car’ to curve like the original but managed to ‘tilt’ the words near enough. I had no idea what was on the red warning stickers but as the ignition coil is part of the system I made up new labels using basic circles and they now say ‘Danger High Voltage Inside’ (this was actually readable enough through a jeweller’s glass to realise I’d put the one on the flat top of the ECU upside down!)
Once the decals were dry they were given a single coat of Humbrol Enamel Matt Varnish ready to be cut out when required. Before that, it was time to add on the wires to the ECU. Photo 10 shows a trio of black painted 0.2mm wires glued to a tiny slice of rubber tube to simulate a rubber grommit. This was inserted into the hole in the side of the ECU body and the trailing wires fed down through the hole in front of the HT coil holes. They can be seen (just) in the centre of the unit in Photo 11. The moulded on rectangle on the right side of the top lid is actually a fuse. I’ve added the two wires in natural copper, the original has black wires but having seen how the three vanished into the background I left them copper to stand out more! The three rectangles up near the coil, I originally took for labels – however, a sharper image later revealed that these are in fact also fuses complete with (black) wires – I’ll probably be leaving them out!Blushing The final two wires were painted grey and run from the aluminium disk to the side of the heat sink thingy alongside. Again, these should be black but this was an honest mistake – I took the edge of the disk, which appeared grey in the photo for the wires! Never mind, at least you can see them now. As shown here, when the wiring was complete the DIY decals were added on, I especially liked the silvery one on the coil, coming as it does with its own built in ‘highlight’ emphasizing the roundness of the coil body.
Photo 12 was taken just before the grey wires were added showing those three wires which are virtually hidden from view, once the coil is pressed down into position as in Photo 13. The two plastic struts are seen after their sanding down and re-painting with Vallejo Air Chrome and Humbrol Blue Grey Enamel Wash on the nut and bolt details in Photo 14. They are shown fitted on to the firewall and engine in Photo 15. This was a very nervous time as both struts have to be quite strongly flexed or bowed to get them to fit into both the firewall and engine holes, the firewall pegs are fitted in first and the strut bent to move the engine peg into position. Once there they are pretty tight and don’t require gluing. The annoying thing is that lovely nut detail on the left hand strut is completely hidden when the ECU is fitted to the little platform!
Lastly, in Photo 16 is the little plug that is supposed to take the three cables from the instrument panel and into the ECU. That one is getting a major upgrade as soon as my 0.3mm drill bits arrive along with an almost complete re-design of the cables and sheath running back from the cockpit.
Until then, Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
ECU pic 1.JPG
ECU pic 2.JPG
ECU pic 3.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
roymattblack
#203 Posted : 05 October 2022 09:24:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

All looking suitably fiddly and grubby.
Excellent work!Love
Plymouth57
#204 Posted : 08 October 2022 21:40:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for that Roy!Blushing
I've been spending quite some time on the old 312 this week - without actually progressing further along in the build! I'm basically filling up the engine bay with as much of the plumbing and electricals that are missing on the kit as possible before continuing on with the gearbox which I also need in place as some of the above comes from there!Blink

As mentioned last time, the entire cable run layout from the cockpit back to the engine bay is getting a complete re-vamp! (Actually it’s the left hand side that’s getting it, the right hand has already been done as I built it). The kit supplies just four ‘cables’ running down the left, three go through a black vinyl sheath and the fourth runs from the instrument panel and eventually (some packs down the line) ends up connecting to the rear brake system. As you will soon see, there are literally dozens of actual wires and cables coming out when the sheath reaches the engine bay (and the brake thingy doesn’t come from the instrument panel either!)Blink I won’t be adding all of them by any means, most of them are still a complete mystery where they go to or where they came from, but we will definitely be upping the amount!Cool
Firstly though, I’ve given my workbench a little upgrade of its own. Photo 17 shows the bench drill I’ve had until now – a full sized beast called Titan. It has come in very handy for many things but is really too big for modelling, especially coming down to micro sized drill bits! You can probably make out the four rubber feet I installed under the base plate, even with those it still sounds like a ruddy steamroller rolling down the hill outside (with about the same degree of vibration across the workroom too – it has been known for small items to fall off the shelves when old Titan is rumbling away!) Titan is now waiting forlornly on the workroom floor waiting for the workbench to be built out in the garage to take all the full sized DIY tools on (and under). Photos 18 and 19 show my present to myself – a brilliant mini bench drill by a company called Katsu. Photo 18 shows the size of it up against Titan. Like his big brother, the black top comes off to reveal a pair of pulley towers with a rubber ‘fan belt’ which can be moved to one of three positions to determine the top speed of the drill. Unlike his big brother, Katsu also has an on/off and speed control switch on that yellow fronted box on the side. The single lever turns through 180 degrees, which lowers the chuck by about one inch. The technical info describes the speed knob as going from zero up to the top speed set by the drive band but in actual fact the drill spins as soon as the switch ‘clicks’ to on – no matter though, I set the drive to the lowest speed and it is great at drilling plastic and (so far) soft metals like brass and aluminium. At about £60 (on ebay), it has been worth every penny and at 100w, uses far less electric than old Titan (that’s becoming more important every day!Crying ) Not shown here was a complimentary item I found in the local Aldi supermarket on sale price – a set of foam floor tiles for putting under exercise equipment to save scratches on hard floors. This is also an acoustic noise reducer and I cut one of them down to just a bit bigger than Katsu’s base plate – the result is a virtually silent highly accurate bench drill and no kamikaze shelf items!BigGrin
So the first real test for little Katsu is shown in Photo 20 – a 1mm thick piece of plasticard measuring 2mm by 3mm, this being the dimensions of the end of the ECU plug and given twelve holes of 0.3mm. On the right is the same piece sliced off the card and up against the kit plug. The plasticard was then painted matt black (which made finding and cleaning out the holes after painting almost impossible, in the end I managed to fill around nine of them with painted wire filaments of 0.2mm as shown in Photo 21. The grouped wires were then fitted and super glued into a length of rubber tubing and then bent into a curve to allow the plug to sit in the ECU slot (Photo 22). The plug is shown fitted in temporarily in Photo 23, I can't fit the ECU in place properly yet as the far end fits on to the afore mentioned gearbox!. The end of the rubber tube will end up incorporated into the new large rubber sheath, which will be replacing the kit vinyl one in the next instalment.

Robin.
ECU pic 4.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Plymouth57
#205 Posted : 12 October 2022 17:45:33

The first bit of ‘tidying up’ was the oil line running from the oil expansion vessel on the firewall bulkhead around the left hand side of the vehicle to the radiator. This is shown in Photo 1 with the three arrows indicating the positions of three tiny drops of superglue gel securing the tubing to the chassis and firewall.
And then the first actual added cabling went to the battery. After much trawling through the reference photos using different angles of vision I finally figured out where one of the battery terminals led to. As you might remember, the kit provides a nicely detailed battery, which just sits in the engine bay, with nothing connected to it!Blink The positive terminal is still a bit hit and miss as to where that goes, but the negative is connected to a thick rubber sheathed cable which passes up the right hand strut, runs behind the alternator and is then bolted to the firewall through the left hand strut bracket, effectively earthing the entire metal chassis. The first job was to create the earthing connection as shown in Photo 2. This is essentially a large spade connector with a darned great bolt running through it and was created from a scrap of thin tin sheet shaped with scissors including a short ‘tail’ which was glued up inside the rubber tube. A hole was then drilled through the flat blade to take a tiny screw from the spectacle repair set and another hole drilled into the moulded-on bracket on the firewall. The connector was then screwed down onto the bracket as seen in Photo 3.
At the other end of the black tubing we have the rubber covered battery terminal. This was made from two pieces of styrene rod, the larger diameter piece for the terminal and the smaller bit poly glued onto it at right angles to form a peg for the rubber tube to fit over. The underside of the large rod was drilled and countersunk to allow it to be super glued over the moulded battery terminal. Once the liquid poly had set overnight, the connector was painted matt black and glued to the battery, once that was set the end of the rubber tube was cut to length and pushed over the peg as seen in Photo 4. Many of the reference photos showed this cable to be fixed down with white cable ties and I had been pondering the best way to create white ties for some time. Whilst looking on ebay for possible white silicone tubing to copy the method I’d been using for black ties I found a supplier of ‘food grade’ white silicone rubber sheets in 1mm (0.8mm +/- 0.2mm) thickness. I sent off for one, the smallest being five inches square for only £2.20. As shown in Photo 5, I carefully sliced off a 1mm strip using a brand new razor sharp knife blade and this was super glued first onto the strut and then looped around the strut and the cable and pulled tight, super gluing it to itself and trimmed back once dry. It looked really good, but I later removed them when I discovered that the same company made a black sheet of the same rubber in 0.5mm thickness. This produced a perfect looking cable tie and was much easier to produce than cutting down the rubber tubing! They looked so good that I went back to the white rubber sheet and found that I could get a strip cut off at just 0.5mm in width, this produced a tie to the same dimensions as the black ones and looked more ‘in scale’. I’ve since discovered that the white sheeting is also available in 0.5mm thickness – but not in the UK – you have to order it from China (of course!)BigGrin
The next part to be changed was the set of cables running from the instruments back through the black vinyl sheath to the engine. Three of them, inside the sheath were going to the ECU plug and since they are not required any more back at the engine end, I would be cutting them off short and in the process gaining some extra black tubing to be used elsewhere! As you will see a little later, the black sheath turns through a right angle when it reaches the engine bay. A vinyl tube won’t do that without kinking – but rubber will! So the next task was to replace the vinyl tube with a flexible rubber one of the same diameter as shown in Photo 7. At the time this photo was taken I was still intending to run the original cables down the tube, using them as the core for the branches of the wiring loom to be added on, but I came up with a better solution for that later. Some of the reference photos show this sheath to be fixed in place with fairly substantial metal brackets and towards the end of the kit instructions, some self-adhesive aluminium tape is provided to simulate these. I decided to plonk in some real ones as I went to keep the tube out of harm's way from the start. These were made from an off cut of the thin aluminium sheet I bought for the Sopwith Pup project (and talk of the devil, I’ve just found the cardboard envelope they came in – two A3 sheets of the stuff! That should last me!) Photos 8 to 12 illustrate the technique for making the brackets up. Firstly a strip of the required width is scored into the metal (NOT using that new bladeBlink ), then a pair of long flat nosed pliers is used to grip the scored strip and then twisted up and down a few times before the metal fatigue causes the strip to break cleanly off. The strip is then bent around a metal former the same diameter as the tubing to form the ring, I used one of the leather punch handles here though a simple wooden dowel would do it too. Depending on which part of the chassis the bracket was being attached to, various shapes of bracket were made up and holes for the spectacle screws drilled out. The first one was fitted to the side of the cockpit, Photo 13 shows the tiny screw fitted part way into the pre-drilled hole and Photo 14, the final fitting with the screw fully home (the bracket is the bottom right version in Photo 12.
In the following instalment, the rubber tube gets a bend down the far end and the complicated wiring loom starts to take shape.

Robin.
Cable Looms pic 1.JPG
Cable Looms pic 2.JPG
goddo
#206 Posted : 12 October 2022 19:19:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Robin,
Another brilliant update on the Ferrari.
I do hope you are keeping within the agreed budget cap (Unlike Red Bull in F1!!)
bfam4t6
#207 Posted : 12 October 2022 22:37:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Amazing details!
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

Plymouth57
#208 Posted : 16 October 2022 17:22:13

Many thanks again to Chris and Dustin for their kind words! I think the cap blew off the budget a while ago!BigGrin Lets face it, I'm building a £1000 model which I got for free so she deserves the best!!
It seems the Centauria moulds for this kit were later bought by a company called Agora who produced an even smaller limited edition of only 60 models, only available to Agora members - theirs were available in three ways: weekly parts, monthly parts or all in one. According to their website, all three were sold out at a price of just under £1,700!Blink
(I'm not usually that lucky!)CoolBigGrin

Continuing on from last time, having now replaced the kit vinyl tubing with the more flexible (and realistic) silicone rubber version, I cut the three black cables short down at the front as shown in Photo 15. Since they are no longer to be connected to anything at the back, there’s no need to have them inside the rubber anymore. Now the big rubber tube needs to bend through a ninety degree turn when it reaches the engine bay and so it will need a stiff former inside to help it maintain that bend. Photos 16 and 17 illustrate the means and materials to achieve that. Photo 16 shows my set of RS tube bending springs and Photo 17 the resultant bent brass tube which (only) just fits inside the rubber one! You can tell just how long I’ve had those springs – I only recovered them from the old back of the garage former workroom a couple of years ago, they’ve been out there for over thirty years but safely in a glass fronted cupboard. Originally they were in a clear plastic box – that’s what 30+ years of ‘forgotten I had them’ does for you!Blushing As I said, it was a really tight fit so I used a cotton bud with a drop of lubricating oil on the end to rub inside the silicone tube which allowed the brass tube to slide down inside quite easily producing the nice, kink free bend as seen in Photo 18. The brass tube will still allow the various branches of the wiring loom to fit inside as they are added on. With the back end now completed, I could push the three shortened cables up the front into the rubber sheath as shown in Photo 19 (note the brown paint worn off the roll bar release lever – that’s been repaired but I’ll probably have to do it again before the end!)
Photo 20 illustrates what actually happens to the single large rubber sheath on the real car – instead of the three cables going to the ECU plug as in the kit, the darned thing branches off everywhere like a demented octopus! The first of the branches is shown in Photo 21, this one will be going to the fire extinguisher system and the steel wire super glued into the bottom will be stuck down into the end of the big rubber and brass tubing.
As seen in Photo 22, this first branch is attached to the wiring coming off the fire suppression valve in the centre of the firewall. The three thin wires from the valve first go into a thin black sheath, which in turn slips into an intermediate thicker sheath and finally into the thicker rubber tube seen earlier which is then inserted and glued into the big silicone ‘trunk’. The second branch finishes off the wiring coming from the oil valve on the left of the firewall and the leads from the electrical cut off switch in the white cone on the chassis ‘roof’. Photo 23 shows the loom under construction with the top connection of the oil valve, made back when the valve and its bracket were constructed, inserted into the silicone tube with a smaller tube inserted after that. In actual fact, with the electrical wire inside I couldn’t get the other one to fit in over it, so I made a tiny hole below the thicker one and pushed the thin wire in there instead! The thicker shiny lead now had to push into the rubber tube coming from the white cone, so after cutting to length, a short piece of the steel wire was glued into the top and bent to shape once dry as shown in Photo 24. The end result is seen in Photo 25 with the rubber sheath glued into the trunk, the shiny tube and bent wire pushed into the cone rubber tube on the roof and the oil valve bolt connection super glued to the top of the valve. Photo 26 shows the three recovered black cables which I can use elsewhere. I didn’t know it when this was taken but the longer cable still attached to the instruments was also coming off soon! (This was taken before the blue and red wires were tidied up!)
In the continuing instalment(s), the oil valve gets its bottom wired in and the brake cylinder copper pipes finally come out from the firewall.

Robin.
Cable Looms pic 3.JPG
Cable Looms pic 4.JPG
Plymouth57
#209 Posted : 20 October 2022 20:44:28

The bottom wire connection for the oil valve is shown in Photo 27. This is a thin, single brown wire, which passes from a bolt connection back into the main rubber trunk. This was made from a single strand of 0.2mm wire primed grey and painted with a suitable Vallejo brown.
Now for those copper pipes! These are the pair which emerge from the rubber grommit hole in the firewall (added previously) and disappear under the ECU via a compression joint on each one. The actual thing is seen in Photo 28 – the two pipes, one brown and one white emerge from the grommit at a) and vanish under the ECU at b). Note also the thinner copper tubing at c), this is another addition coming right after. The two compression joints, one of stainless steel and the other of brass, are constructed from a combination of resin cast acorn nuts, a sanded down nut and bolt and a couple of plasticard discs over the copper plated aluminium wire, illustrated in Photo 29. Photo 30 shows the full procedure for making them up. First of all a 2mm leather punch is tapped into a scrap of thin (about 0.5mm or so) plasticard, leaving a stamped circle impressed into the plastic as at the top. This is then drilled out in the centre with a 1mm drill to allow the wire to pass through before taking the punch again, placing it back into the impression and giving a harder tap with the jeweller's hammer to punch out the disc which is seen up inside the head in the middle picture. Then, using a cocktail stick the disc is pushed further up inside the cutter, as the tube gets wider up the throat of the cutter, eventually the disc is popped out into the hollow from where it can be retrieved, given a light fine sanding to remove any burrs and finally, threaded onto the wire as at the bottom right. As I’m probably going to need a few more of these joints, I thought I’d better get some production going as shown in Photo 31! The connections were threaded on the copper wire and secured in place with thin super glue before the connectors and the short side of the wire were primed with Vallejo Grey Surface Primer as seen in Photo 32. Both pipes were then painted as seen in Photo 33, the top one is Vallejo Saddle Brown with Vallejo Chrome for the end nuts and Mig Satin Black for the central nut and washers. The bottom one is Mig Matt White, Vallejo Brass and the Mig black. Both were given a detail wash with the Humbrol Blue Grey Enamel wash and the bright copper wires dulled down with a thinned down Vallejo Copper. The pink block they are resting on is the silicone rubber mould for the acorn nuts I made up for the brake cylinders down the front earlier. The white and brown ends were then gently pushed into the rubber grommit in the firewall and the copper wires bent round to pass under the ECU before snipping the excess off. They are seen in position in Photo 34, in the process of having the white silicone rubber strips glued on to create their white cable ties.
Now for that thinner copper tube – Photo 35 shows it’s journey through the engine bay. From top to bottom, it first emerges from the very front of the engine block at the bottom of the firewall (one reference photo however shows it exiting the same main rubber trunk along the chassis side – but this way’s easier!BigGrin ) It then passes underneath the twin copper pipes I just added in, in fact it passes underneath all the other cables and tubes before arriving (or exiting) at/from a nut joint on the big blue oil filter which, fortunately, is moulded on the kit one too!Cool Equally fortunately, I hadn’t glued the oil filter down and was able to prise it up off the engine block and drill a little hole into that nut to take a 0.8mm copper plated aluminium wire which I’d already purchased to replace the brake lines at the rear later on. The wire was carefully threaded under all the other pipes and cables from the front of the engine to just past the oil filter. Then it was cut just a little longer than required, bent to reach the hole previously drilled before adding a drop of super glue gel on the end and inserting it into the nut. Because it was slightly overlong, the spring in the wire kept it snugly in the hole until the glue set. The final effect is shown in Photo 36.
In the next instalment, I find out where another of those oil tank expansion vessel output tubes snakes off to and get that one fitted in, only two more to go and I think I know where they end up now!BigGrin

Robin.
Cable Looms pic 5.JPG
Cable Looms pic 6.JPG
Markwarren
#210 Posted : 25 October 2022 10:17:52

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very impressive work Robin, you literally taking this to the nth degree.Love Love Love

Mark
Plymouth57
#211 Posted : 31 October 2022 21:46:29

Many thanks for that Mark, Blushing the more you put in, the more you can find to put in on top of that too!Blink BigGrin

Whilst dredging through the slowly growing collection of reference photos, I suddenly found the destination of one of the oil expansion vessel pipes! As shown in Photos 1 to 4, the nozzle sticking out of the main expansion vessel seen in Photo 1 (and helpfully stained pink on this vehicle) runs down to the top of the engine block where it vanishes under the big oil filter, illustrated by the arrows. In Photo 2 it exits out from under the filter again and then runs under the ECU shelf. Photos 3 and 4 are from a different 312T4 hence the lack of the pink dye but still shows the same tube emerging from under the ECU where it is joined into the copper pipe pair modelled last time (not physically, but in the same cable tie bundle) from where it finally ends in a compression joint connector, set into the radiator pipe joint shown in Photo 4.
The first task therefore was to make up that connector. Photo 5 illustrates the connector and its component parts – pieces of hexagonal and rectangular styrene rod and a tiny length of micro copper tubing. The end of the hexagonal rod was first sanded down to chamfer the end before drilling out the centre to accept the yellow silicone tube already fixed on to the expansion vessel, this was helped by the fact that the styrene rod already has a tiny ‘pilot hole’ running all the way down the centre as part of the moulding process. You can just make out a depression in the side of the rectangular rod, this was the start of the 1mm hole for the copper tube which was drilled out before the end of the rod was sliced off and shaped (much easier than cutting the thing off and drilling it afterwards!) Once the copper tube was super-glued in place, the rectangular and hexagonal parts were poly glued together, welding them in place and left overnight to bond tightly.
In Photo 6 the radiator pipe joint was drilled out for the same 1mm copper tube (fortunately this part is plastic) and the connector test fitted. In the bottom half of the photo the connector has been primed and painted – Vallejo Metal Colour Gold at the end and Vallejo Bright Brass (toned down with the Humbrol Black enamel wash) for the compression joint. The connector was then super glued onto the radiator joint and the oil line from the expansion vessel trimmed to length and glued into the ‘brass’ connector. I would strongly advise however that the oil line should be trimmed to size and glued into the connector BEFORE the connector is glued into the radiator joint! That was so fiddly getting the flaming silicone tube to go into the connector hole – there’s no room to get the tweezers in there!Blushing
Finally in Photo 7, we have the finished article with the tubing securely connected to the joint. Only two more to do on the expansion vessel and I now know where they will be heading (but not for some time yet!)BigGrin
The next item to follow is the rear aerodynamic wing. This was actually completed a couple of weeks ago apart from a little ‘extra’ detailing which may or may not have featured on the original Giles car but can be seen on the same vehicle in its restored ‘classic car’ condition. I was going to add the detail using my sheet of clear decal inkjet paper but for some reason it just wouldn’t work! I could print the design easily enough (well, actually not that easily but you’ll see that later), but once the decal was lacquered or varnished over, it just wouldn’t come off the carrier backing no matter how long I soaked it in Decalfix. Anyway, I sent off for a new sheet of clear decal but the same company had previously sent me an email advertising their new DIY dry rub down transfer paper (inkjet/laser) so I thought I might give that a go. I’ve just done a trial print onto a paint tin lid and it went pretty well indeed so I’m going to try it on the Ferrari by the next posting.

Robin.

(By the way, does anybody know how to copy text in MS Word without the cursor racing to the end of the document as soon as it hits the bottom of the screen? Normally it doesn’t matter as I write up the next diary section after I’ve posted the last one but sometimes I get ahead of the text (as in this case when I’ve begun the next instalment on the rear wing) and the darned highlighting races off far beyond the part I wanted to copy!)Cursing

Oil Line pic 1.JPG
roymattblack
#212 Posted : 01 November 2022 12:10:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Absolutely mind-boggling stuff going on here.
A museum piece in the making.
Plymouth57
#213 Posted : 03 November 2022 20:02:11

Thank you so much for that Roy!Blushing I'm certainly getting deeper into this than I expected!BigGrin

Apologies to all, this is another of the ‘extra long’ write up instalments. It would have been shorter but it ended up with an entirely new DIY decaling procedure which I couldn’t explain with pictures – just a lot more words!Blushing
Before getting stuck into the rear aerodynamic wing, a quick nip back to the cable bundle running down the left hand side of the chassis. As shown in Photo 1, the last of the original black cables eventually joined the other three and was cut short with only about an inch and a half remaining to be tucked down inside the black silicone tube as seen here. This of course then freed up an even longer length of cable to be re-used as and when it was needed.
Things now got a little complicated, unlike most of the construction where I can show one pack’s worth of components and how they go into the model, the rear wing assembly takes up four of them. Fortunately, unlike much of the build the four packs are consecutive (I really dislike the way many partworks provide a piece only to tell you to ‘store it carefully’ and eventually get round to adding it on weeks later!) The Packs concerned here are 55, 56, 57 and 58 as illustrated in Photos 2 to 5. Pack 55 contains the actual wing, together with a tiny bracket. Pack 56 has the top ‘deflector’ bar along with the two side sections, Pack 57 has the four parts of the support and Pack 58, the parts for the high intensity rear warning light (the only light carried on the whole car). The first job was to re-paint the actual wing parts to match the front wing, which was one of the first parts to be made up. Unlike the front wing, the decals are already applied which posed a problem! I tried scanning the deflector bar with the Michelin logos on so that I could print off new decals if things went wrong. I managed to get a fairly good copy, the problem being the bar isn’t completely flat – it’s not only slightly curved in section but the logos are very slightly sloping too – not what you need when trying to scan and then crop the photo down! I later made up a design version on the Corel Print House but again, couldn’t get the exact font that Michelin had used. In the event, I needn’t have worried, I cut strips of green Frog Tape to mask the logos, airbrushed the wing and bar with black Vallejo primer followed with Vallejo Metal Colour Duraluminium. Apart from one tiny blemish the tape peeled off perfectly leaving a good logo in place as seen in Photo 6. The blemish was my own fault! In my haste to get the tape off I committed a silly beginner’s mistake – I carefully raised up one corner of the tape, gripped that with the tweezers and slowly pulled it off to reveal the decal underneath. Because the first one came off perfectly I repeated the technique on the second one – and tore a tiny piece of primer/top coat off beyond the last corner of the tape. What I should have done was to start at one corner, pull off to the middle and then start again at the opposite corner and pull it toward the middle again – thus avoiding the ‘pull’ on the paint at the end! Fifty years of modelling and we (I) can still make a ‘newbie’ mistake!Blushing Blushing Blushing
As far as the vertical supports for the wing were concerned, things were much easier! The reference photos show this structure to be composed of thick sheets of aluminium bolted together and the finish on the kit parts is spot on. No re-painting was needed here and the only embellishment was to use the Humbrol Blue Grey Enamel Wash to bring out the details in the bolts and a little along the thickness of the adjusting slots at the base as shown in Photo 7.
The two gold coloured components making up the base of the wing supports did require the usual conversion to the Vallejo Metal Colour Gold after the Black Primer coat. Photo 8 shows the parts after the gold airbrushing was dried and Humbrol Rust Brown and Black Enamel Wash had been applied but before the excess had been removed with a white spirit moistened cotton bud. While I was waiting for that to dry, I poly glued the central bracket into the top of the wing as shown in Photo 9, the bracket itself was given a Blue Grey wash to highlight the rivets as seen here.
Some of the reference photos show the two stabiliser ‘fins’ just as the kit supplied them, some others showed them with silver rivet heads though, which did add some more interest to the otherwise flat sides so I carefully added dots of Vallejo Air Chrome followed by a very thin Black Enamel Wash around some of them where it was easiest to get it in! If you want a slightly different ‘look’ to the wing, about fifty percent of the photos show the fins with red insides, like the kit, the other half show them red with decals on the outside and polished aluminium on the insides! Although you can’t see it in Photo 10, I left mine red!
Photo 11 shows the two halves of the support ready to fix together with the finished gold base. The blue arrows indicate the little pegs, which are pushed into the corresponding holes in the other side. When I tried to join the two halves I found that despite applying as much force as I could, the two halves just wouldn’t close up tight. In the end I decided to drill out and enlarge the holes very slightly and to use poly glue to secure the parts together. Photo 12 illustrates those enlarged holes and the blue lines indicate where I added some thin super glue for good measure after the parts were joined. The two main components, the wing and the support are shown completed in Photos 13 and 14. At this stage you are supposed to join the wing on to the support but I’ve left that for later as its far easier to store the parts safely in the multi compartment plastic box when they can both lay flat!
The last thing to add onto the support is the rear warning light. This is made up of just two parts – the black and chrome base and a transparent red lens. I decided to add a third part in the shape of a light bulb! Photo 15 shows the basis for the bulb, which is a transparent red styrene rod. I originally bought this to try and heat stretch it to form the red warning light on the instrument panel but it didn’t like being tortured over a candle flame and stretched. I eventually used a red transparent piece of sprue from an old model kit for that one but it has come in handy for this! I sanded down the end of the rod into a rounded cylinder and then used a very fine Tamiya polishing sheet followed by a buffing mop on the rotary tool to create the effect seen here. Photo 16 shows the three parts together, the camera couldn’t quite capture the ‘fibre optic light gathering’ effect on the end of the rod though. Photos 17 to 19 show the light going together. I first inserted the rod ‘head first’ into the base and marked it level with the top of the bowl before sawing it off and fixing it to the bottom with super glue gel. The red lens was then carefully pushed down until it clicked into position and the completed light then push fitted into the hollow in the gold base unit. Its not very evident in the photos, but depending on how the ambient light falls on the red lens, you can just make out that there is actually ‘something’ inside the light!Cool
And finally for the little extra for which I have been waiting for some graphic supplies to arrive. Photo 20 shows the rear of the Giles Villeneuve car ‘Old No.12’ as she is today. The grey bar at the bottom of the photo is the back of the rear wing which, as you can see is clearly marked ‘NO PUSH’. Now I have no idea if this instruction was to be found when Giles was racing, You would think that the Ferrari pit crew would be well trained as to where they could or couldn’t push these cars around by, I suspect it is probably a modern addition for the benefit of less well educated enthusiasts helping out with these now classic cars. Still, it does add a little interest to an otherwise bare part of the vehicle so here goes!BigGrin
Photo 21 illustrates the evolution of the decal design. I hunted through the stock of fonts in the Corel Printhouse graphics program but couldn’t find one close enough to the apparently sprayed on design seen on the wing so it would have to be the hard way! Using the original reference photo as the source, I duplicated the image in Printhouse and then cropped it right down to just the words as seen at top left. Then, double clicking the reduced image sent it into the companion Corel Photohouse which sits in the background of Printhouse waiting for tasks like this. Using the colour select pointer I selected plain white and then switched to the Colour Fill tool, positioned that pointer in the grey looking background around the text and clicked, the grey background was instantly removed and replaced with white as shown at the top right. The next part was more intricate but quite simple – I performed the same colour fill operation on the inside of each letter, removing that grey and turning the interiors white as seen at the bottom. Enlarging the photo up revealed some faint grey pixels that had been missed the first time around which were then whitened one at a time. Once all was looking ok I could simply exit the Photohouse which returned the image back to Printhouse all tidied up ready to be duplicated multiple times and lined up along the top of the page.
As I mentioned, the first attempts at a waterslide decal didn’t go well so when the new materials I was waiting for arrived I decided to try the new dry transfer method first. Photo 22 shows the first result – this is actually looking at the underside of the print, the first job is to create a second master design by taking the decal one and simply reversing it so the words ran backwards. There are two A4 sheets with the dry transfer system, the first is a clear ‘acetate’ with a tiny red arrow on one side to indicate the side to print on. The back to front line of ‘no pushes’ was then ink jet printed on and left to dry completely (you can use a hair drier to speed it up and the same sheet will take both inkjet and laser printing). Once dry, I cut off the thin strip and also cut off an identical strip from the second sheet which is equipped with a yellow backing sheet on one side and a clear acetate on the other. Removing the yellow backing, the now uncovered clear self adhesive strip was positioned over the printed one and smoothed down in place using a wooden coffee stirrer to rub it down fully.
Next I had to carefully cut around the design as close as possible, this is the main difference between commercial rub down transfers and DIY ones – the commercials have the adhesive already applied just to the back of the printed design so a single carrier sheet can have loads of transfers on it, the DIY ones have adhesive all over the carrier sheet so we have to cut round the transfer as close as possible. The final tasks were to carefully peel off the clear film from the sticky underside and position the transfer exactly where you want it (no second chances here) and then burnish down the design through the clear acetate still covering the top. Photo 23 shows the trial effort – the first ‘no push’ applied to the white plastic lid of an aerosol paint tin. This takes a while to get the hang of it, probably leaving it on there for an hour or so for the adhesive to bond would make it easier but eventually I was able to remove the final acetate layer from the top of the design, leaving the words ‘printed’ onto the plastic and then giving it a last burnishing using the yellow backing sheet from the strip to finish it off.
Well that went pretty well so the final step was to try it out on the rear wing itself. Again, removing the final acetate was the most difficult part though it would have been easier if done before the wing bar was glued together! But, as shown in Photo 24, the final effect was well worth all the effort!
At the moment I’m working away on the main gearbox section, more awkward planning as I’m having to change all the build schedule as the entire thing has to be re-painted and can’t go together as the instructions would have it! Fortunately it is all going together really well and I’m pleased with the way the new colour scheme looks. But in the meantime, the following instalment will be (mercifully shorter), and all about fitting a battery terminal for the wiring to arrive shortly from the starting motor (grateful thanks to Ruda and his excellent build diary for the info I needed for this)!Cool

Robin.
Rear Wing pic 1.JPG
Rear Wing pic 2.JPG
Rear Wing pic 3.JPG
Rear Wing pic 4.JPG
Plymouth57
#214 Posted : 09 November 2022 21:24:49

After much gazing at Ruda’s beautiful build of this kit, during which I discovered many of the ‘what goes where’ enigmas were answered, I came to the starting motor section. Ruda had added a pair of wires to his, a blue one that disappears under the battery (good enough for me) and a red one which went straight to the battery positive terminal. I have already fitted up the negative terminal with a rubber ‘boot’ and a thick black rubberised cable leading to the chassis earth so for the positive end I thought I’d get a little more adventurous and make up a traditional bolted on terminal clamp. Photo 1 illustrates the sort of thing I was looking for. There are a couple of slightly different forms or designs with different methods of attaching the incoming wiring but this looks like a fairly standard type which has been around for decades (and so should be contemporary for the vehicle – I hope!Blink ) These came in two materials, a silvery aluminium and a light bronze looking alloy. The terminal is already a matt silver so I decided on the bronze for a different metal look.
The main component is a 5mm diameter aluminium micro tube shown in Photo 2 with a thin section razor sawed off in the mini mitre box. Stage two was to take the ring and place it over a solid brass rod which was around the same diameter as the battery terminal and to gently squeeze the ‘overhanging’ bit in the jaws of a flat nosed pair of pliers, resulting in the shape shown below the rod in Photo 3. The flat portion was then drilled through to take a thin brass rod (about 0.8mm I think) as seen on the right.
The edge of the flat section was then snipped off just past the drilled hole and the cut edge cleaned up with the diamond dust flat file, rounding off the corners as can be seen in Photo 4 which shows the clamp being pushed up the shaft of a metal awl, forcing the jaws open until they were wide enough to fit tightly around the battery terminal. Once they were wide enough, the flat ends were gently bent parallel with each other and a 0.8mm brass rod inserted into the holes and super glued in place as shown in Photo 5. The rest of the brass rod was then snipped off and the stump filed down neatly. The next part was the smaller ring section, which takes the actual electrical connection. This was a much smaller diameter aluminium tube, about 2mm or so. A section was sawn off, the same length as the bigger tube and can be seen in Photo 6 where it is wedged onto the round diamond dust file. It is on there so that a rounded depression could be filed into one side, matching the circumference of the big ring for super gluing the two together, as seen in Photo 7. You have no idea how long I searched for my round file to file that down before finally remembering the darned ring was sitting on it! I used the half round file instead whilst worrying about the onset of dementia!Blushing Also in Photo 7 you can see the two DIY resin cast nuts which are glued over the ends of the brass rod through the middle – one is complete with the moulded in thread sticking out, the other has the thread sanded off to match the originals. At the top is the smallest of the aluminium tubes, this one’s about 1mm diameter and is squeezed in the flat nosed pliers to create the spade connector which, in the original would have a hole in the centre (or be horseshoe shaped) for the nut to secure it to the clamp. Here however it is just flattened and super glued to the small ring with a smaller cast nut glued on top of it. When the red cable goes on, it will be considerably thicker than that single strand demo one! In Photo 8 the completed clamp is shown primed with Vallejo Grey Surface Primer ready to be painted up as shown in Photos 9 and 10. The bronze colour was obtained by a mixture of Vallejo Air Chrome and Game Colour Bright Bronze. Originally it was going to be a touch of bronze but I think it ended up being nearly 50/50.
Finally in Photo 11, the finished clamp is shown mounted onto the battery terminal, waiting for the red cable to run up from the starting motor on the underside of the gearbox.
In the next instalment, guess what – it’s the gearbox (and starting motor)!BigGrin

Robin.
Battery Terminal Clamp pic 1.JPG
Battery Terminal Clamp pic 2.JPG
roymattblack
#215 Posted : 10 November 2022 14:39:57

Suitably superb once again.Love
goddo
#216 Posted : 10 November 2022 17:33:48

Excellent write up.
What a fiddle those battery clamps were! All done and looking great. Congratulations
Chris
Plymouth57
#217 Posted : 15 November 2022 21:26:24

Grateful thanks as ever to Roy and Chris!Blushing
I'm finding more and more on this kit that it really is the little tiny 'extras' that make so much difference to the finished model - there's another one in this instalment, it's only about half an inch long but the extra time spent on it certainly makes all the difference! BigGrin

Apologies for the length of this write up! I thought I'd already posted the first half up to photo 11 but when I put up the remainder the first part wasn't there!Blushing So I quickly edited in the first half before anyone noticed (I hope!)Blink If you're reading this don't worry! I've re-re-edited the instalment and put it back into two parts as it was supposed to be!Blushing

As shown in Photos 1 to 3, the gearbox section (the main part at least) comes in three packs, Pack 59, Pack 60 and somewhat surprisingly, Pack 64!
This is because the packs in between contain some of the smaller details and the rear axle and brake discs. Pack 59 contains the main body of the gearbox as a diecast metal casting, Pack 60 is the starting motor parts in plastic, and Pack 64 is the rear of the gearbox and the first section of the rear suspension which bolts onto it, both in plastic again. Not shown here for some reason is Pack 61, which is the top of the gearbox, and which is another metal casting. Unfortunately, I couldn’t follow the kit schedule for the construction, as the whole lot needed a re-paint. With the kit parts the gearbox itself is a chrome silver finish with only the suspension section finished in gold, as you can see in Photo 4, the whole thing is actually the dull gold finish. This meant I had to build the whole gearbox first, then degrease it, black prime it and finally airbrush the whole thing in Vallejo Metal Colour Gold before adding the shadowing wash and dry-brushed highlights and then dismantling it so that it can be screwed onto the main engine block! The first task is to attach the base plate of the starting motor which first needed a little sanding down to remove the moulding flash lines. Photos 5 and 6 show the main casting before and after fitting the base plate in. The red line indicates the bottom of the ‘trench’ which the plate slides down into, and the red arrows show how the plate was slid down into position. Whereas the plate itself is the same gold as the gearbox body, the raised curved section is the same aluminium as the starting motor itself. Photo 7 shows the end of the two pegs which stick through into the metal body – I added a couple of drops of super glue to these (just to make sure) even though it was a pretty tight fit to begin with. Photos 8 and 9 illustrate the two screws which hold the metal top section of the gearbox in place on the main body. The bit I’m most interested in is that little angled tab sticking out of the top right in Photo 8 – once that’s in place I can finally fit in the ECU and complete the wiring loom from the front of the engine bay! The screw at the rear in Photo 9 is covered up by the suspension section but the front one in Photo 8 is visible and so is hidden by a sticky silver decal (actually more of a sticker) which had to go on before the re-painting. Finally, before the airbrushing could start, the plastic lower rear section was screwed in place as seen in Photo 10. That semi-circular depression is where the rear axle fits in with the two rear-brake discs sitting on the outside.
The final Photo 11 shows the gearbox with its new gold finish just resting in place against the rear of the engine block awaiting the enamel wash treatment and dry-brushing highlights – and that’s where the real fun starts!

Next instalment follows...

Robin.
Gearbox pic 1.JPG
Gearbox pic 2.JPG
Plymouth57
#218 Posted : 17 November 2022 21:25:49

Carrying on from the last instalment, Photos 12 to 14 show the finished gold effect on the gearbox from three angles – right way up from the front, the same from the rear and upside down. The upside down shot still needs the starting motor base to be hand painted in matt aluminium. Photo 15 (although not very clearly) shows the parts of the starting motor finished in three different metallic shades, the base with the two pegs is hand painted in Mig Matt Aluminium, the small cylinder and the ring around the large one is left in the kit ‘chrome’ finish whilst the larger cylinder is airbrushed in Vallejo Metal Colour Semi Matt Aluminium over the matt black primer, the large cylinder having been already push fitted onto the base.
In Photo 16, the Humbrol Blue Grey Enamel Wash has been applied to the ‘rims’ around the cylinders together with the recessed details around the top, and the nut and bolt detail at the base. Not visible here, underneath the two contact bolts on the black plastic head are two tiny holes drilled to take the pair of electrical wires which will go to the battery later on.
The starting motor is test fitting onto the underside of the gearbox in Photo 17.
The next part to go on is another piece that I have been really looking forward to upgrading! According to the instructions, the pieces, as shown in Photo 18 come in Pack 62 and are all part of the rear brake system. As far as I can see, only one of them actually is – that’s the ‘T’ shaped part on the left which has the two brake lines running from it to the rear callipers – fair enough, but it doesn’t actually have anything running to it to activate those callipers with! As you’ll see later, it will be attached (figuratively) to one of those two copper pipes, which run from the firewall to under the ECU. The other parts in Pack 62, according to the Haynes Manual on the 312 which has a good photo of them, describes them as being the clutch return, not the brakes! The actual thing is shown in Photo 19 and as you can see, there is a spring running from the front side of the aluminium cylinder to the metal arm at the back, which is also connected by a threaded adjustable rod. At the very front is a compression joint with a copper pipe running off – this is the second of the pipes coming under the ECU! The first task as shown in Photo 20 was to sand off the flash lines running along the top of the cylinder and to carefully drill out the triangular tab on the side, the black plastic arm was also drilled out with the same sized drill bit. Then came the interesting bits! The left-over brass threaded rod from the battery cradle was used to replace the moulded smooth shaft at the rear together with one of the smaller resin cast nuts, and the adjustment thingey sticking out of the top was itself cut off and a tiny length of copper micro tubing and another resin nut used to replace it. In actual fact this should have been a little higher but I think the tube sank down in the drilled hole before the super glue took hold! Ah well, never mind! The alterations are shown in Photo 21. Photo 22 illustrates the clutch return painted up with Mig Matt Aluminium for the main body with the base of the arm in Rough Iron and the arm itself and the threaded rod in Mig Polished Metal. The rear of the cylinder is matt black enamel and the nut on the front in Vallejo Brass. The usual Blue Grey Enamel Wash picked out the details and the base was hand painted in the Vallejo Metal Colour Gold.
Then it was time to make up the spring. The spring is tiny, much smaller than the cores on the craft spring maker gizmo, about 0.5mm or even smaller. The first trial was based on a fine sewing needle as seen in Photo 23 using electrical 0.2mm wire strand. This worked fine except for the fact that the needle wasn’t long enough to make the entire length of the spring! The solution was found in Photo 24 – an extremely long sewing needle of the same diameter, held rigid between two mini vices (I can’t remember what the heck I bought that needle for mind - ah, yes I do, it was for the barbed wire on the Sword Beach diorama). The resulting spring is shown in Photo 25, with a brass 0.5mm rod inside of it. This was measured out and snipped off just short of the distance from the cylinder arm to the rear separate arm and placed inside the spring to prevent it sagging once fitted on. The fitting was fiddly to say the least. The excess wire at the front end was snipped off leaving a ‘hook’, which was bent at right angles to the coil. This was then hooked into the hole in the cylinder arm and the spring, with the brass rod inside was placed against the rear arm previously fitted to the gearbox top along with the cylinder, and the coil snipped off just short of the arm. The cut end then formed another hook, which was bent and fitted into the hole drilled into the rear arm and gently squeezed tight with tweezers. Sounds relatively simple but I nearly went boss eyed trying to get first one end and then the other to stay in the holes! It was definitely worth the effort though as you can see in Photos 26 and 27, comparing the improved version over the stock kit part. (I’ve learnt how to use the Printscreen at last – at least on the Windows 10, it still doesn’t do it on the good old XP!)Blink
In the next instalment, getting the rear brake discs up and running!

Robin.

The only problem now is that my donkey's years old small strip light over the computer keyboard has come to the end of its long life - I'm typing this in semi darkness!BigGrin
Gearbox pic 3.JPG
Gearbox pic 4.JPG
Gearbox pic 5.JPG
Markwarren
#219 Posted : 20 November 2022 12:11:45

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That is just mind boggling work you are doing Robin. Excellent.Love Love Drool

Mark
roymattblack
#220 Posted : 20 November 2022 12:26:04

Absolutely superb work there Robin as always.Love