Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Revell and Airfix Mayflower Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 25 September 2022 19:10:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all going through my stash I've discovered I have these two kits of the same subject so I thought I would build them both at the same time so we can all see the differences between them.

First thing you can see is the colours are different on both of them.

I have no idea which is right  (if either) but I don't really care I will paint them both as per instructions.

The dark brown is the revell kit

The whiter coloured sails are the revell ones.

At first glance the revell kit is the better detailed of them.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 25 September 2022 20:47:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A great idea to do them both Kev! Will be interesting to see the differences, the scales are not far off each other too. I loved these old Airfix plastic ships, made quite a few of them before I ever touched wood and I can remember how nervous I was trying to cut out those vac formed sails - knife or scissors, that was the question!BigGrin
As far as the colours go, nobody knows what the 'correct' scheme would have been, the Mayflower was basically a worn out cargo/trading ship, the owners were not wealthy and she might not have had any colour at all on her sides! The only reason they left from Plymouth at all was because one of her accompanying ships was leaking so badly that they had to put in to Plymouth for repairs!Blink
Looking forward to watching the pair come together.

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
kpnuts
#3 Posted : 02 October 2022 19:58:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

OK so far the Revell kit is far and away the better fitting kit, the Airfix kit is lucky it's not taken an unscheduled flight across the room.

Airfix kit.

Revell kit.

So far Revell is wining.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.