Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Building without sails Options
Flyteach
#1 Posted : 31 October 2022 04:14:45

Groups: Registered

OK, before someone calls "blasphemy" let me explain. I got to SAIL on the USS Constitution during a turn around cruise on 4 July 2006 with my three nieces and nephews. We had a fantastic 4 hour voyage including gun salutes. As most of the design of this model is as she sits today in Boston harbor, I have been thinking that if I did not add the sails, I would have a model that would be VERY close to the way she was when we sailed.

To do that (not saying I've fully decided yet, but working out the details) would I just complete the masts and standing rigging and skip all of the running rigging and masts? I'm thinking that would be the plan, but looking for any advice that might be out there.

I appreciate any discussion, and yes, now if you want to comment about the sails/no sails, go ahead as long as it's nice.....no flame wars, please.

Thanks!
Flyteach/Jim
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 31 October 2022 14:17:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

For what it's worth, in my opinion, sails can detract from the overall appearance of any build. Too much detail gets covered up with the sails. You might even want to give some thought to going the whole hog and building it 'Navy Board' style, with no mast and rigging whatsoever. Makes for easy of dispaly at any rate BigGrin