Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

SD 14 Options
budgie
#1 Posted : 08 October 2022 16:32:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Afternoon Folks

Crying As a few of you's are aware I tend to start off well on a new build then dwindle off after I have completed the "skeleton"Crying

Cool Well I have come across a model of the SD14 which consists mainly off a "skeleton" depicting all the frames bulkheads cabins holds etc

I think it would make an interesting object to look at even if I decide not to add the hull plates

The model was designed as a teaching aid for the port fire brigade to familiarise themselves with the layout of the ship so omitting the hull skin should be acceptable

Kit details. http://www.marcle.co.uk/sd14.htm

The real thing. https://www.yfanefa.com/record/24352

If u watched the short video Flapper Think it will take me longer than 16 weeksFlapper

The kit comes printed on 225gsm A3 size manila card

I will be copying those onto card that is glossy on both sides (1:1 as will be nearly 7 feet)

This will save using the originals and ******** it up and also means I do not need to seal the card if painting

Did consider using styrene but would work out quite expensive plus it will be a lot easier to score and fold card rather than score and snap styrene

Hope to get started soon
Thanks for looking'
budgie
#2 Posted : 10 October 2022 19:58:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Evening Folks

FWD Section

SD14's were normally build on a slipway and when ready to launch the blocks were removed and it would slide into the water after smashing a bottle of champers

The model construction is as a dry dock build
built on a level surface then the dry dock is flooded to float the ship

Bottom Shell Plates

Copied onto 250gsm A3 glossy both sides paper

The 17 templates for the PLATES were cut out and glued using a tacky glue for the K A B C strakes

Will see if I can remember how to upload pics

Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 10 October 2022 20:41:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yea! Another one to drool over!BigGrin
I love watching you put these together, one day I'll start my Monitor (if only all these extra projects didn't keep getting in the way!)Blink
Looking forward to the next part already.Cool

Best of luck.

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
budgie
#4 Posted : 11 October 2022 20:02:05

BigGrin Thanks for commenting Robin. appreciated

Yeh I do like making a startLOL LOL

Fwd strakes joined together

Looks a bit wavy as it is not flat..joins are overlapped giving hull plating effect when turned over

Hope I don't get bubbles in paper when applying glue even tho it has a gloss surface

Sitting on a A3 platen glass from a photocopier to give idea of size so far

tf64
#5 Posted : 11 October 2022 21:21:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Budgie

It looks like an exciting build not many of us older members post now good to hear from you and good luck with your build.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

budgie
#6 Posted : 02 November 2022 21:32:16

BigGrin Evening Folks
Thanks for comment Trev

I have redone the previous bottom shell plate using 300gsm paper

Reason was that I licked the glossy side to get rid off a mark and the gloss disappeared leaving the rough fibres exposed.Crying
Thought best to change the media before I go further

May have to redo them again tho as not too happy with how the lines line up as couple don't seem to line up quite right

I have cut out the DOUBLE BOTTOM LONGITUDALS that runs fwd to aft and most of the port side DOUBLE BOTTOM FLOORS

Have dry fitted them to see how they look away from the bottom shell plates

budgie
#7 Posted : 04 November 2022 21:11:48

BigGrin Evening Folks

I have glued the longitudals down and dry fitted the "frames"

Couple of frames are missing as I heavy handedly cut thru the fold linesFlapper so will need to redo them

Humming and hawing at the moment on whether to continue this way or restart using a slightly thicker card

The folded parts helps keep the frames steady BUT i quite fancy the idea of seeing as much of the frames and all the other parts as possible ...will I need to do away with the folded part and use a slightly thicker card

Supposed to have been a training aid showing all the compartments etc so covering the hull would defeat the purpose

I am also over thinking the instructions saying to keep flat when it cannot be as the hull plates over lap fwd to aft port to stbd

Still have problems lining up the lines on the hull plates
I just can't seem to get them bang on

Thanks for looking
budgie
#8 Posted : 17 December 2022 12:45:42

BigGrin HI Folks
gone with a thicker card
dry fitted only so far
The t0p of the tank top latitudes will be replaced as i will only use the vertical strips for spacing between the frames

birdaj2
#9 Posted : 17 December 2022 21:27:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks rather special.

Really love how all the symmetry of the parts look.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
budgie
#10 Posted : 17 December 2022 22:52:18

BigGrin thanks for taking the time to comment Tony

Failed againCrying tried painting but didn't like the results

Purchased some 0.5mm styrene sheets (not Evergreen)and off I went againLOL

Progress so far

budgie
#11 Posted : 13 March 2023 22:59:59

BigGrin Hi Folks
Progress so far

Starting to glue the longitudes

tf64
#12 Posted : 15 March 2023 09:29:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Budgie,

Good to see you back on this one, keep posting as this is a very special build and very mind absorbing to complete.

Regards Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2