Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Create and Decorate your Moominhouse Packs 1 and 2 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 05 January 2023 22:51:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Build a charming model of the beloved Moominhouse - tall and round like a lighthouse with a steep roof and lots of rooms to explore! This is the home of the Moomins, some of the best-known storybook characters in the world. Their house is brought to life in this easy-to-build model which will enable you to recreate the magical home of the Moomin family, created by the artist and writer Tove Jansson.

Building the house is a great activity for all the family. Creating and decorating the Moominhouse will stimulate children’s imaginations and encourage them to find out more about the marvellous Moomin books.

Many adorable characters are waiting for you with furniture and accessories and all the parts to build the house. You will get step-by-step instructions plus hints and tips for assembling the Moominhouse, plus stories from the magical world of the Moomins. The delightful figures are based closely on the famous illustrations in the books.

https://www.deagostini.com/uk/sc...DAQehEAAYASAAEgI2FfD_BwE
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
photo 05-01-2023, 9 46 00 pm.jpg
photo 05-01-2023, 9 33 11 pm.jpg
photo 05-01-2023, 9 45 22 pm.jpg
photo 05-01-2023, 9 45 11 pm.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 08 January 2023 15:25:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

In issue 1 we start to build the porch and the bed frame and mattress.

First, take the parts to build the front porch. Take the rear wall and test fit the part to the base, sand if necessary using the sand paper supplied. Using the wood glue supplied, glue the rear wall (Pic3) to the base plate. I used a toothpick to apply the glue and once in place I then used a cotton bud dipped in water to wipe away any excess. Next glue the two side panels (Pic5) in the same way, test fitting first.
The supplied steps are attached to each other, so carefully using a craft knife, split the 3 parts from each other. Attach the riser step as shown using the wood glue as before. This stage is completed for now, carefully stow the two remaining pieces for later.

Now for the bed frame. This was relatively easy to assemble, fixing both ends to the centre frame. I did use a little drop of super glue in the joints, but this is not necessary.
I did push down on the centre frame once the two ends were in place on a flat surface to ensure the frame was square.
The mattress was again easy to assemble. It does say to use a little glue, however, I used double sided tape to stick the folded sheet to the mattress as shown. I then placed some more double-sided tape to the wooden base, placed this into the bed frame and stuck the mattress to it, shown in picture 14 & 15.

That completes issue 1.
1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg
1 (3).jpg
1 (4).jpg
1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (8).jpg
1 (9).jpg
1 (10).jpg
1 (11).jpg
1 (12).jpg
1 (13).jpg
1 (14).jpg
1 (15).jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 08 January 2023 15:30:24

Issue 2

In this stage we get to complete the front porch steps. Test fit one of the step pieces, sanding if necessary, then glue as you did before in issue 1. Next, glue in the riser and continue until all the steps have been assembled. The next parts are the two side walls. With the steps firmly placed on a flat surface, glue the two side pieces, noting which way the two 45-degree angles are in relation to the part as shown in pictures 7 & 8. Once these have been glued, leave to dry fully before assembling the porch platform. Once dry, glue the part in place lining up the four tabs as shown.

Next is the coat stand. Prepare the parts by using a craft knife to cut out the legs and hooks.
Note that the hooks have two with a high tab and two with lower tabs, these with fit on the pole where there are lower and higher holes. Glue these in place and allow to dry. The four legs fit onto the base as shown, again allow these to dry. Once both parts have dried, place lower end of the pole into the base part. This was a tight fit and no glue was needed on mine, however, use glue if needed.

Now onto Snufkin’s tent. Take the tent frame and note that the back has a ridge. Using the double-sided tape supplied, tape the edges as shown in pictures 13, 14 and 15. Now remove the backing to the tape. The easiest way to place the fabric to the frame is to fold up the edges of the tent. Locate the two frame tabs and fit carefully, pulling down the fabric onto the frame sticking in place as you pull down. Cut the excess fabric you have from the front of the tent and cut a small triangle and place it on the front top of the tent with some double-sided tape. Next, fold back one side of the front entrance to put it in the open position. The book says use glue; however, I used a piece of double-sided tape.

That completes issue 2

More Soon
Uncle Moomin
2 (1).jpg
2 (2).jpg
2 (3).jpg
2 (4).jpg
2 (5).jpg
2 (6).jpg
2 (7).jpg
2 (8).jpg
2 (9).jpg
2 (10).jpg
2 (11).jpg
2 (12).jpg
2 (13).jpg
2 (14).jpg
2 (15).jpg
2 (16).jpg
2 (17).jpg
2 (18).jpg
2 (19).jpg
2 (20).jpg
2 (21).jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 18 January 2023 21:31:31

In issue 3 we continue with the porch assembly and start on the tiled stove for the kitchen.

Take the porch base and fit the rear gable, note that the rear gable attaches to the base where there are only 2 holes. Now attach the front gable, this is painted blue. There is no need to glue these will be locked into place once the sloping roof is attached. Now attach the right sloping roof with the curved edge to the rear. Apply some wood glue to the top 45-degree angle and then attach the left roof part. Make sure that it is all square and leave to dry.

Now onto the stove. There are 6 parts to the tiled assembly which are numbered 1 to 3 on the inside of each part as shown. You have 1 part of 1, 2 parts of 2 and 3 parts of 3.
Take the fixing plate and using the supplied super glue that came with this issue, fix one of the parts 3 to the fixing plate as shown in picture 9. Note that this is the only part to be glued to the fixing plate. Take a second part 3, and attach it as shown in the next picture, noting that it fits the opposite way round. Fit the next part 3 followed by both the part 2’s as shown and then finally fit the last part 1.
Note that is says to fix the part 1 with a little glue. I did not use glue, as when fitting the base, it will hold it all together and it makes is easier should you with to dismantle it again. This is an ideal time to paint the inside of the stove with black paint, so when opening the stove doors, it makes it more realistic.

The final stage in this issue gets you to attach the doors to the base and connect it to the stove body.
It is easier to attach these parts once you have the parts in issue 4.

Now take the upper attachment plate supplied in issue 4 and fit as shown, again I did not glue this in place as I will explain once issue 4 is complete.
Now take the stove doors and fit both into the holes in the base. Turn the latch so it is in the locked position and connect the main stove part you made earlier and slot it into the base. Make sure the stove doors line up in the opening part of the main stove. As you will see this makes it much easier to fit once the top fixing plate has been installed. Finally attach the top stove crown making sure the flat edge is at the back.

This issue is now complete.
3 (1).jpg
3 (2).jpg
3 (3).jpg
3 (4).jpg
3 (5).jpg
3 (6).jpg
3 (7).jpg
3 (8).jpg
3 (9).jpg
3 (10).jpg
3 (11).jpg
3 (12).jpg
3 (13).jpg
3 (14).jpg
3 (15).jpg
3 (16).jpg
3 (17).jpg
3 (18).jpg
3 (19).jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 18 January 2023 21:36:50

Issue 4, we continue with the porch.

Separate the 8 parts from the long trim with a craft knife and sand smooth any edges. Using the two larger posts, glue the strips you have just cut as shown in picture 3.
Tip. I glued these parts using the super glue supplied, as using the wood glue would take a while to dry and you may dislodge a strip whilst fixing the next strip.
Now do the same with the two smaller posts, note that you only have 6 strips, 3 to be glued on each post.
Now cut the small dowl rod supplied into 6 x 10mm. Glue the dowls into the parts as shown in picture 5. Note: Cut the dowl in the small 2 post to 3mm as it will not fit when assembling this piece.
Separate the plastic decorative pieces from its sprue along with the two wooden angled parts.
Now insert the dowl in the bottom part of the banister into the larger post and repeat with the other banister and post. Next put one of the plastic decorative pieces over the dowl in the top of the banister and fix the smaller post over the top.
Note: that the inner facing side does not have a trim strip. Repeat with the other banister.

Allow these to dry before fixing to the steps.

Once dry glue both banisters to the steps as shown in picture 8, making sure that they are straight and not at an angle. Allow to dry.

Note: that in picture 8 it shows the 2 small posts at the top has the missing trim strip facing inwards.

Next, take the roof assembly from issue 3 and glue the two brackets into the roof as shown in picture 10.

Finally, take the porch assembly and glue the tops of the pillars into the holes in the roof and glue the brackets to the smaller posts. Hold into place whist the glue starts to take a firm fix.

This completes this issue.

4 (1).jpg
4 (2).jpg
4 (3).jpg
4 (4).jpg
4 (5).jpg
4 (6).jpg
4 (7).jpg
4 (8).jpg
4 (9).jpg
4 (10).jpg
4 (11).jpg
4 (12).jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 18 January 2023 21:41:21

In this section, I will be showing what I have done to some of these parts to give it a little more realism.
This is purely my own take on this, and it is not necessary to follow this if you do not want to.

The fist part I wanted to enhance was the stove. This type of stove is more commonly known as a Swedish stove. Predominately tiled with cast iron grate, these would have been quite common in a kitchen in the late 18th century.
My first job was to paint the stove with primer and then white paint. Once dry, I then applied some track wash in between the tiles to give it the appearance of use. Then I gloss varnished it all to give that glossy tiled look.

Then I cut a small branch from one of my trees in the garden and cut to make small logs.
Having not glued the parts to the stove, it enabled me to open it up and add logs inside. The last picture is a flame effect I added.

The porch assembly was sanded in places to take off the sharp edges and smooth those parts out. I then painted all the white parts again to give it a nice finish.
The top steps were lightly sanded to give the appearance of being worn with all the walking on there from the Moomins.

Any question regarding any of this please go to the discussion area and I will be only too pleased to answer any questions.

Discussion Area

More Soon
Uncle Moomin

A (1).jpg
A (2).jpg
A (3).jpg
A (4).jpg
A (5).jpg
A (6).jpg