Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages <1234>»
Odo's Build Options
Odo
#21 Posted : 14 March 2021 22:30:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

What I didn't take into account is that the brass shaving during sanding goes into the grain of the woodGlare

I'm not sure how to rectify this just yet, any ideas welcome thoRollEyes

At the end it's not that crazy obvious and a sample piece varnished still looks okay. Maybe it has a slight weathered look to it
Odo attached the following image(s):
IMG_7016.jpg
nightwisher
#22 Posted : 14 March 2021 23:28:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent fairing and a great idea using brass treenails Cool
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Odo
#23 Posted : 29 January 2023 22:53:55

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Ahoy, mateys!

Coming back to this forum, I was convinced it's "only" been a year since my last post... well, I guess I was wrong...

I have to admit, this slightly dampened my enthusiasm about the progress I thought I was making. But then again, as I mentioned earlier (2 years agoBlink) that I'm not planning to have this build finished any time soon.

Time is still sparse and usually I only get to work on this build in the evenings for a couple of hours and also had weeks on end, where I just simply had to take a break from the repetitive tasks at hand, i.e. cutting the gun ports and lining them as well as the hull planking, which I finally finished yesterday LOL

I can't present any more progress than that or any more mini builds, but rather than posting nothing for another prolonged period of time, I wanted to update you guys that I haven't given up BigGrin ...just yet
Odo
#24 Posted : 29 January 2023 22:57:26

after two years I forgot how I prepared my photos for the uploadUnsure

Bare with me...
Odo
#25 Posted : 29 January 2023 23:18:19

Victory1.jpg
Odo
#26 Posted : 29 January 2023 23:46:37

As for the gun ports, I drilled small holes (about 4 or 5 each side) about 1mm from the edge of the port, cut the excess wood with a modelling knife as close to the edge as possible before filing the square to the required 12x12mm.

To achieve the exact measurement across the 86 gun ports, I used a 10x10mm balsa piece on which I glued some 150 grid emery paper on just one side achieving straight edges as well as maintaining the right angles since the plain remaining three surfaces of the balsa wood would not ruin the already filed sides.

Victory2.jpg
Victory3.jpg
Victory8.jpg
Odo
#27 Posted : 29 January 2023 23:48:51

A little preview of how it'll look with the brass guns...
Victory5.jpg
Victory7.jpg
Odo
#28 Posted : 29 January 2023 23:51:52

I did not use the pins to hold the planks in place and used the method with the clamps instead.
Victory4.jpg
Victory9.jpg
Victory10.jpg
Victory11.jpg
Victory12.jpg
Victory13.jpg
Victory14.jpg
Odo
#29 Posted : 29 January 2023 23:55:06

Victory17.jpg
Victory19.jpg
Victory20.jpg
Victory21.jpg
Odo
#30 Posted : 30 January 2023 00:03:52

I planked and varnished the visible rib wall inside the entry ports to see how it looks but I'll probably change it later and make the entry ports look like they do on the real Victory as the rib wall is too recessed.
Victory18.jpg
Victory16.jpg
Odo
#31 Posted : 30 January 2023 00:08:20

Looking back, this was the trickiest plank to get right and took me many attempts, only to find out later, that it'll be covered by one of the wales.
Victory22.jpg
Victory24.jpg
Victory26.jpg
Victory23.jpg
Victory27.jpg
Odo
#32 Posted : 30 January 2023 00:44:27

The bow planking...

It's not textbook and not as it looks in the instructions. Maybe I did not fare the frames enough and/or tapered the planks incorrectly, but this is how the planks wanted to naturally follow the shape of my faring.

Also, I used the hot plank bending tool initially, but quickly stopped using it as I found it too cumbersome to work with and did not manage to get a smooth bend over the whole length of the planks.

What worked for me, was to taper and chamfer the plank first to make them fit perfectly on to the previous plank and then to soak it for 5-10 min (never longer) in water. The water temperature didn't matter (I had a bottle full of water for days on my desk and changed the water infrequently).

After the soaking, I placed and bent the plank on the frame itself fixing it with clamps or with other cut off pieces of plank wood nailed to the frame. I left it like that until the plank had dried the next evening. After removing the clamps, the plank stayed perfectly in shape with the frame and I could glue it in place very easily.

I guess this is why it also took me two years to finish the hull planking, as this is a very slow process and I only did one or two planks very day I worked on the hull.

Victory28.jpg
Victory29.jpg
Victory30.jpg
Victory36.jpg
Victory38.jpg
Victory41.jpg
Victory43.jpg
Victory44.jpg
Odo
#33 Posted : 30 January 2023 00:49:19

Victory51.jpg
Victory52.jpg
Victory54.jpg
Victory55.jpg
Victory56.jpg
Victory57.jpg
Victory59.jpg
Victory70.jpg
Odo
#34 Posted : 30 January 2023 00:51:45

The sharp bent on the stern caused the most casualties. I used plank bending pliers to pinch the planks alternately straight and diagonally.

in case of a straight bend I sometimes sawed the planks about 2/3rds deep. Unfortunately, this left 'stress marks' on a couple of planks, but I hope it'll go under and unnoticed. Too bad I know that they're there and I'll always notice them them...
Victory33.jpg
Victory34.jpg
Victory45.jpg
Odo
#35 Posted : 30 January 2023 21:10:21

Victory37.jpg
Victory40.jpg
Victory46.jpg
Victory47.jpg
Victory48.jpg
Victory49.jpg
Victory50.jpg
Odo
#36 Posted : 30 January 2023 21:13:32

Victory58.jpg
Victory60.jpg
Victory66.jpg
Victory61.jpg
Victory62.jpg
Victory63.jpg
Victory64.jpg
Victory65.jpg
Odo
#37 Posted : 30 January 2023 21:28:52

I just started to prepare the lower hull for sanding for which I use some nifty little scarper tools. I find them very helpful in shaping the hull.

They're also very helpful to target specific areas, especially when levelling thicker planks with surrounding thinner ones.

Victory67.jpg
Victory71.jpg
Victory72.jpg
Victory73.jpg
Victory74.jpg
Victory75.jpg
Victory77.jpg
Victory81.jpg
goddo
#38 Posted : 02 February 2023 13:14:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Odo,
You are creating a beautiful model there and the quality of workmanship deserves a mention.
As you have said earlier, it's taking you quite a while to get this far but that doesn't matter.
The enjoyment and satisfaction you are getting is most important.
Keep the posts coming. I'm enjoying this.
Chris
delboy271155
#39 Posted : 02 February 2023 18:02:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi ODO, BigGrin

This is all looking very good, WTG Cool Cool Cool

I have to agree with Chris and his comments previously, but I would remind you to be careful of shaping down to the lowest point all the time.

Sometimes it pays to use a little filler to bring up the low point and then sand back. Otherwise you may find yourself with a plank so thin that its no good.

Using filler is not anyway saying you have got it wrong, its just a fine balance to get to where you want/need to be so your second planking looks so much better.

Good luck as you move on with your build and I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Odo
#40 Posted : 04 February 2023 18:27:32

goddo wrote:
Hi Odo,
You are creating a beautiful model there and the quality of workmanship deserves a mention.
As you have said earlier, it's taking you quite a while to get this far but that doesn't matter.
The enjoyment and satisfaction you are getting is most important.
Keep the posts coming. I'm enjoying this.
Chris

Thanks Chris!

The satisfaction of success outweighs the frustrations. Especially, if it takes you ages to find 3 in width matching planks, getting them all chamfered and tapered nicely, then break at least one of them during the process of fitting, finding another matching plank, chamfering it...

I'm sure every modeller here has been there too, but as you said, we do it for our own enjoyment and satisfaction as well as for the enjoyment of fellow modellers! Before I even bought this kit, I browsed this forum for hours on end admiring all the other builds and not just the ones of the Victory.

Cheers,
Odo