Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<2345>
BACK AFTER 8 YEARS RICHARD.L BUILD Options
goddo
#61 Posted : 19 March 2022 10:09:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Beautifully done, Richard. Very envious of your skills.
Chris
Gibbo
#62 Posted : 19 March 2022 23:32:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Richard
Your build is looking great mate, looking forward to seeing more.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
richard.l
#63 Posted : 26 March 2022 20:20:57

Cheers for the nice comments chaps, i have been modifying the look of the quarter deck cannons. i have replaced the blocks with walnut 3mm double with home made rope and rigging hooks. it is a lot of work but the results are amazing
tom.ganc
#64 Posted : 26 March 2022 22:05:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking fab Richard

I know that once you start making your own ropes you will not look back ever again. They are so much more sharp and detailed. Well done with the build and all the hard work definitely pays off when you look at the end result.

All the best
Tom
z8000783
#65 Posted : 27 March 2022 09:56:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Richard. that gun carriage tackle looks fabulous.

richard.l
#66 Posted : 28 January 2023 23:01:47

Hi everyone i am back building after a break, all be it very slowly more going back over some previous work and making improvements.
admin
#67 Posted : 30 January 2023 05:36:07

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Great looking build!

Your rope walk looks interesting. Where did you get it?

Keep the pics coming!

Best,

Mark
richard.l
#68 Posted : 31 January 2023 20:34:48

admin wrote:
Great looking build!

Your rope walk looks interesting. Where did you get it?

Keep the pics coming!

Best,

Mark

Hi Mark its a serving machine i got from amazon, its not the rope walk itself thats another contraption, its just for serving the ropes.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HF82TRF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GilShapley
#69 Posted : 01 February 2023 22:42:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I built my Victory a few years ago. Its was my first attempt at a model of this size. This with he fact that the parts/magazines came over a period of time did help together with help and advice from this forum. I particularly like the changes/mods that other builders make to their builds.

I shall be following your build with interest

You have not got their yet but should you need a copy of the mast plans I have a full set in PDF format. Send me PM with you EMail and I will forward a copy

Gil
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
richard.l
#70 Posted : 06 February 2023 20:52:54

GilShapley wrote:
I built my Victory a few years ago. Its was my first attempt at a model of this size. This with he fact that the parts/magazines came over a period of time did help together with help and advice from this forum. I particularly like the changes/mods that other builders make to their builds.

I shall be following your build with interest

You have not got their yet but should you need a copy of the mast plans I have a full set in PDF format. Send me PM with you EMail and I will forward a copy

Gil

Hi Gil i am ok with the mast plans i have them all, i have built all the masts and yards, although i have lots to do on them yet, i will be making a few modifications thats the fun bit. This is also my first attempt of a model this size and it"s the most challenging and also rewarding thing ive ever done.
richard.l
#71 Posted : 14 February 2023 23:58:25

The hull as she currently looks, i keep tweeking things here and there as you do.
richard.l
#72 Posted : 15 February 2023 00:13:07

So a few pictures of the hull as she currently sits.
richard.l
#73 Posted : 16 April 2023 09:00:39

I have been going over previous work again, i have completely redone the side entry ports, i have still got to paint the new entry ports, i have obtained the missing lower gunport wriggles and after fitting decided to repaint again. But it.s worth the effort i would rather take my time to redo things i am not happy with as i will be the one looking at it.
Odo
#74 Posted : 16 April 2023 09:37:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Richard,

I'm still at a very early stage of my build and am constantly browsing fellow modellers build diaries looking for inspiration, guidance and new techniques to learn from.

It didn't even cross my mind to look deeper into the ropes and thought the materiel for all the rigging work will be fine as provided by the kit... but having now seen your rope work just blew me away. I cannot fathom the amount of time and patience required to make your own ropes, but the results speak volumesDrool

Are you planning to make every single rope required for ship yourself? I bet after achieving ropes of such quality, it might be hard to go back to the stock ones supplied.

Very impressed!

Cheers,
Odo
richard.l
#75 Posted : 16 April 2023 09:52:18

Odo wrote:
Hi Richard,

I'm still at a very early stage of my build and am constantly browsing fellow modellers build diaries looking for inspiration, guidance and new techniques to learn from.

It didn't even cross my mind to look deeper into the ropes and thought the materiel for all the rigging work will be fine as provided by the kit... but having now seen your rope work just blew me away. I cannot fathom the amount of time and patience required to make your own ropes, but the results speak volumesDrool

Are you planning to make every single rope required for ship yourself? I bet after achieving ropes of such quality, it might be hard to go back to the stock ones supplied.

Very impressed!

Cheers,
Odo

Hi Odo Yeah it didn't cross my mind untill i saw the work of others and it was a very quick learning curve but I've seen your work and i know you can easily do the same. I do indeed intend to make every rope myself thats why i have gone back over all my work with a closer eye on the fine detail, inspired by others like yourself even at your early stage made me look more closely and it is defiantly not a race to finnish for me anyway i love the fact i have added maybe years to the build. check out the wonderful workmanship ofthis lady. https://en.shipphotographer.com/victory-proces
goddo
#76 Posted : 16 April 2023 10:17:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

richard.l wrote:
[quote=Odo]Hi Richard,

Very impressed!

Cheers,
Odo

Hi Odo Yeah it didn't cross my mind untill i saw the work of others and it was a very quick learning curve but I've seen your work and i know you can easily do the same. I do indeed intend to make every rope myself thats why i have gone back over all my work with a closer eye on the fine detail, inspired by others like yourself even at your early stage made me look more closely and it is defiantly not a race to finnish for me anyway i love the fact i have added maybe years to the build. check out the wonderful workmanship ofthis lady. https://en.shipphotographer.com/victory-proces[/quote]
Hi Richard,
I too have seen many videos and articles about Olha Batchvarov.
She is a remarkable lady and her workmanship is second to none.
Unfortunately for me, I possess very few of her skills, patience and particularly, nimble little fingers. Sadly, mine resemble large pork sausages and the dexterity just isn't there.
Chris
Odo
#77 Posted : 16 April 2023 22:12:35

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the link!

as you said "it's not a race to the finish line"... a few more laps have just been added to mine!
richard.l
#78 Posted : 09 May 2023 13:27:27

I am trying to do the dreaded hammock cranes and netting, i have followed Bernd and his brilliant method for the netting. The main problem i have is that i am missing some of the cranes. I am missing the 12mm cranes for the forcastle and the cranes for the poop deck which are as follows 2pr x 14mm, 3pr x 12mm, 2pr x 10mm, 1pr x 9mm. I have looked on Cornwall Model boats but they have been out of stock for a year on the Artesania stays which look identical.Any one have any suggestions where i might obtain some?.
richard.l
#79 Posted : 31 May 2023 07:53:30

A few more changes to the ladders get rid of the swimming pool ladders and replace with brass stanchions and rope.
richard.l
#80 Posted : 24 October 2023 22:31:38