Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Decal printing advice needed Options
f13dfx
#1 Posted : 17 December 2022 12:19:41

Red Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello All! Just finally retired and looking to build my complete subscription of Vale's YZR-M1. I will also be scratchbuilding a 1/4 scale rider figure from parts fodder I picked-up on eBay from a damaged NECA 1/4 scale Spiderman figure. I've already 3D-printed the helmet from an STL file I bought on Etsy and will be reconstructing Vale's rider leathers.

Would like advice and recommendations as to whether it would be better for me to print my own decals OR get them custom-made from people that do this for a living that own ALPS or OKI printers. I can download all the logos but just thinking that I won't be able to duplicate the vivid colors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
f13dfx attached the following image(s):
IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_7751.JPG
IMG_7753.jpg
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 17 December 2022 18:39:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I think you could probably manage the colours with a bit of tweaking around the colour palette, the biggest thing I can see that would be a problem is that a lot of the logo lettering is white! Unless you have a super duper professional printer that prints in white ink (there must be some out there) that could be a problem for sure!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 17 December 2022 19:29:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

The only other way around the white decals is to use a good quality 'plotter'.
That is, a machine that cuts vinyl.

I'm looking at getting one, as very often, I want white decals which is a pain to create.

The current generation of plotters will cut details, images, lettering etc, smaller than you could believe possible.
Also, the newer vinyl sheets are so thin, you would never know they aren't decals.

Keep us posted with what you do.
f13dfx
#4 Posted : 29 March 2023 06:08:32

Just a quick update. Wrote an online service called SpotModel PrintLab in the UK who do online custom printing. This link tells you all about it: https://www.spotmodel.com/printlab_howto.php
f13dfx
#5 Posted : 20 April 2023 01:51:22

Found this on eBay just now for those that want a figure to accompany your YZR-M1:
https://www.ebay.com/itm...36cf53fffebe84%7Ciid%3A1