Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Something Totally Different Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 13 May 2023 15:30:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

This is something totally different. I have a holiday home in Norfolk, have done for 40 years. We have a beautiful beach with lots of colourful beach huts. Whilst there a couple of weeks ago, I was looking at our lounge mirror which has a wooden frame around it which sticks out 10cm all around. It got me thinking about putting some model beach huts on the ledge, just the front part of the huts as the mirror image will make them look like you are seeing the whole thing.
I starting to think about how I would make these. Should I design one and 3D print it. Anyway, after making a sketch on a piece of paper, I decided they were going to be made in wood.
A few months ago, I bought a laser cutter/engraver but until now I’ve only ever engraved a glass with it. So, with my CAD design program, I designed a beach hut which then turns a 3D design into a 2D design for laser cutting. The design will give me around 15 different combinations of the huts so I can make them slightly different from each other as well as painting them different colours.
The hardest part was to use my little grey cells to work out how the software works and what setting I would need. The first attempt was not great. The hut looked like it had been burnt out as the laser was on a much higher setting that it should have been.
Anyway, I decided to make these out of 3mm MDF, the safe laser approved MDF without the nasty chemicals that you normally get with normal MDF.

Here are the results so far. I reckon I will need about 10 to fit along the shelf.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
IMG_6961.jpg
IMG_7207.jpg
IMG_7210.jpg
IMG_7218.jpg
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 13 May 2023 17:44:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Mark, BigGrin

They look amazing, WTG Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#3 Posted : 13 May 2023 20:22:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Hey Mark,
They look amazing. Well done and good luck with the rest of the huts.
My sister in law lives in Devon at a town called Budleigh Salterton and they have beach huts along the beach there too. So colourful and fun.
Chris
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 13 May 2023 23:17:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thank you Derek and Chris for your comments. It has opened up new possibilities with what I can laser cut now.

Mark