Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ugears Scrambler Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 30 April 2023 08:44:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

And now time for something different

Saw this when trawling through the web for a new build.

Looks interesting/Challenging/Different

Will add pictures as the build progresses
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
Scram1.jpg
Scram2.jpg
Scram3.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
tf64
#2 Posted : 30 April 2023 08:50:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gil,

Now waiting to see what this.

Regards

trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

tf64
#3 Posted : 30 April 2023 08:54:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now that is a challenge, looking forward to this one.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

goddo
#4 Posted : 30 April 2023 12:45:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Ugears make some fantastic kits.
I recently built the locomotive train version.
The biggest thing I noticed is that there are no adhesives. Everything is an interference fit which is a nice variation.
Good luck and look forward to seeing yours progress.
Chris
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 30 April 2023 17:36:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gil, BigGrin

Hope you really enjoy this build. Cool

Not built one myself, but they look good the way they get the shapes required through cutting and shaping flat wood. I also love the motorised versions that use nothing more than rubber bands.

Blink I`ve just realised its got a sidecar as well. Blink

I will certainly be following this as its an unusual build. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

GilShapley
#6 Posted : 03 May 2023 07:50:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The build begins. The build instructions are a series of pictures showing what components are required for each stage. The three frets supplied are crammed with parts which are not necessarily in number order. Some searching is required. Most parts pop out with a little pressure but care is need to ensure no damage to the parts. The gear wheels and bearings require some lubrication to ensure they will turn easily. I am using some candles which were left over from a Birthday cake to apply wax to the parts. These are small enough to fit into the bearings and the teeth of most of the cogs. Some sanding required to clean the edges of the parts where they were attached to the frets.
Careful attention to the orientation of each part is necessary. It is quite easy to get some parts the wrong way round. (Speaking from experience) Fortunately the joint are all push fit (no glue required) and I was able to carefully correct my error.
So far I have used 44 parts to reach the current stage
Pictures attached
Scram4.jpg
Scram5.jpg
Scram6.jpg
Scram7.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
GilShapley
#7 Posted : 15 May 2023 12:47:53

Well this build has been interesting, challenging and a learning curve. No glue required as all components are push fit (sometimes a very tight fit) Care is required to ensue no breakages.
I used three main tools for this build.
1) A fine blade in my craft knife to facilitate the removal of parts from the frets.
2) A more robust craft knife to trim the cocktail sticks to length.
3) A pair of pliers to attach some of the components, the bend in the jaws allows easier access to parts of the model and one of my small clamps to apply an even pressure on some of the larger components.
4) A fine emery paper to sand off any nibs left when the part was removed from the fret
Not far to go now, there are approx. 360 components to this model!!!!

A number of pictures attached to show the build progress
Scram8.jpg
Scram23.jpg
Scram9.jpg
Scram10.jpg
Scram11.jpg
Scram12.jpg
Scram13.jpg
Scram14.jpg
GilShapley
#8 Posted : 15 May 2023 12:52:30

More Pictures
Scram15.jpg
Scram16.jpg
Scram17.jpg
Scram18.jpg
Scram19.jpg
Scram20.jpg
Scram21.jpg
goddo
#9 Posted : 15 May 2023 15:38:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Coming along nicely, Gil.
They are fun kits to build and as you say a new mindset on how things are constructed.
Keep it coming.
Chris
GilShapley
#10 Posted : 15 May 2023 19:40:38

Ta Dah - Jobs a goodun

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Pictures attached
Scram24.jpg
Scram25.jpg
Scram26.jpg
Scram27.jpg
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 16 May 2023 08:02:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent, what a fun build.Love Love Drool

Mark
delboy271155
#12 Posted : 16 May 2023 13:58:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

WTG, Cool ThumpUp Cool

That is seriously impressive, especially as you don`t have the safety net of glue.

Brill, models where you don`t stick your fingers together.LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#13 Posted : 16 May 2023 18:14:20

Well done Gil,
Which Ugears model will you build next?
Chris
GilShapley
#14 Posted : 16 May 2023 21:41:14

Thanks for the positive feedback lads.
I have been looking at the Model Expo Wright Bros Flyer 1/16 scale for a while.
This is a very detailed kit and I am looking forward to it. Ordered on line from my local corner Amazon store. Will post pictures in due course

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

RM1
#15 Posted : 17 May 2023 06:54:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just spotted this build now. What a great kit. Certainly something different and no glue......
Nice result Gil.BigGrinThumpUp
Malc.