Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ugears Hexapod Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 24 May 2023 19:50:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thought I would have ago at another of these Ugears Kits. Something different, so I
ordered this one. The Ugears Hexapod Explorer. The Ugears Web Site shows this kit scuttling across the floor like a spider.
Hope mine will do the same.
Will post pictures as the build progresses, all 388 parts and NO GLUE ThumpUp ThumpUp
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
H1.jpg
H2.jpg
H3.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
goddo
#2 Posted : 24 May 2023 23:03:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

You've developed a taste for these kits haven't you Gil?
They are great fun to build and as you say, no glue.
Look forward to this one progress. Is it a new kit recently released?
Chris.
GilShapley
#3 Posted : 25 May 2023 07:05:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The reviews go back a couple of years so, No, not a new release. The Company have a wide variety of kits so should keep be busy. Who knows I may decide to do another after this one

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Gil
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
GilShapley
#4 Posted : 28 May 2023 10:30:13

And so it begins :-

As I have already built one of their kits I have know what to expect from their instructions for each stage

Pictures attached, more to follow

Gil
H4.jpg
H5.jpg
GilShapley
#5 Posted : 30 May 2023 09:32:17

Bit more on this model. Always RTQ, Some of the components are marked with a "L" and some with a "R". Self evident once your notice them and to be honest they are highlighted in the pictures. The quality of the parts is excellent just don't force them out of the frets. Clean of the edges and add the wax/lubricant where indicated so the parts will move as required

More pictures attached
H6.jpg
H7.jpg
GilShapley
#6 Posted : 30 May 2023 20:46:17

More Pictures
H8.jpg
H9.jpg
RM1
#7 Posted : 31 May 2023 07:17:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks like a fun kit to build BigGrin and it will move as well ? ThumpUp Can't wait to see that.
Malc.
GilShapley
#8 Posted : 31 May 2023 09:01:03

Yes it "should" move. A bit like a spider scuttling across the floor. We shall see

Unsure Unsure Unsure

To assist me with this build I explored the company web site and found they provide the build instructions in PDF format. Handy if you misplace yours. The PDF is much the same as that provided with the kit, mainly a series of photos with "this bit goes there" Some of the parts are marked with L or R, not always easy to see. The advantage I have found with the PDF format is that once downloaded onto my PC with its 24" screen I can expand the picture for a closer look

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
GilShapley
#9 Posted : 01 June 2023 11:52:15

Another update. Some cogs added, part of the engine to drive the legs (I hope)
Having a look at this stage on the PDF file at 150% size it became more apparent that the 3 cogs on the left are lower than those on the right, nearly missed that.

Picture attached

H11.jpg
H10.jpg
GilShapley
#10 Posted : 02 June 2023 09:55:09

More work done. Added the top which includes the winder key. The next step will be to install the spring coil. Unlike the other Ugear model I made this has a metal spring which I will have to wind into the center of the model, MMMM. Should be interesting.

Picture attached

H12.jpg
GilShapley
#11 Posted : 03 June 2023 18:50:46

Another update :-

Added More to the body, one of the next steps is to install the drive spring which is already attached to the interior of the model. Hope I get this part right.
Thought I was doing OK until I realised I had installed one of the components the wrong side up DOH. In my defence there was one small hole which was on the wrong side. Disassembly was reasonable disaster free, no glue required for this build

Pictures attached

Gil
H13.jpg
H14.jpg
H15.jpg
GilShapley
#12 Posted : 08 June 2023 08:02:56

Another update:-

Nearly there, after a while you get used to the way the instructions are presented.

KIV with this model as you get near the finish line i.e. construction of the legs,
the are three left and three right legs. Took me a while to see why some parts are the reverse of others.

Pictures attached:-
H22.jpg
H23.jpg
H24.jpg
H25.jpg
H26.jpg
GilShapley
#13 Posted : 11 June 2023 11:48:53

Well that was different and yes it does move

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Pictures attached
H27.jpg
H28.jpg
H29.jpg
H30.jpg
RM1
#14 Posted : 13 June 2023 09:50:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A complicated little thing. Looks great.BigGrin
Malc.