Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Create and Decorate your Moominhouse Pack 6 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 09 June 2023 13:54:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Issue 17

Contents

Floor panel A & B, Connecting Floor Piece, Dresser Panels, dresser Doors, Plastic panels, Pins x 9 (1 spare), Handles x 4.

Assembling the Basement Floor
Position floor panel H and wood glue the connecting piece as shown. Make sure the piece is aligned, there should be a gap at the top edge. Allow this to dry before gluing panel I in place, the same as before. Store this in a safe place until needed again.

Assembling the Dresser
Separate all the parts as before and sandpaper all the areas that will be visible on final assemble.
Apply glue to the two tabs of the shelf and fix into the two sides as shown. Note: the longer tab on the side should be facing upwards. The small notch on the shelf should be facing the front. Now fix the top panel gluing the tabs on the side panels. Insert the post, aligning it with the notch in the shelf as shown.
Next, we paint the assembly, plus the doors and cornice and the assembly and doors from issue 16.
Note: I used the same colours as the door in previous issues. I used a yellow wood grain colour with a light brown thinned down with water. Once this was dry, I used a watered-down black wash, this gives it that antique pine look.
Fix the handles in the doors from issue 16 and apply a little glue. Put 2 strips of double-sided tape on each of the display doors as shown. Now cut the plastic panel into 2 equal parts and attached them to each of the doors as shown. Next, fix the handles in the same way as before.
Position the door from issue 16 as shown and insert the pin at the top. Now insert the remaining showing pin into the hole in the dresser assembly from issue 16, pushing the door in place. Turn the dresser so it shows the bottom side and insert the pin through the bottom section all the way into the hole in the door, aligning and guiding through. Apply some wood glue so the pin holds on place.
Proceed with the opposite door in the same way.
Next, apply glue to the tabs on the bottom of the assembly you’ve just made in this issue and fix it to the assembly in issue 16.
Insert the pin into the door at the bottom edge as shown. Insert the remaining pin into the hole in the frame and push the door in place. Now push another pin into the hole at the top of the dresser through to the hole in the door.
The final steps are to attach the cornice to the top and glue the back panel in place. Note: I had to sand the back panel slightly to fit.

The final picture shows the dresser complete and in place in the room.

That completes this issue.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
17 (1).jpg
17 (2).jpg
17 (2a).jpg
17 (3).jpg
17 (4).jpg
17 (5).jpg
17 (6).jpg
17 (8).jpg
17 (9).jpg
17 (10).jpg
17 (11).jpg
17 (12).jpg
17 (13).jpg
17 (14).jpg
17 (15).jpg
17 (16).jpg
17 (17).jpg
17 (18).jpg
17 (19).jpg
17 (21).jpg
17 (22).jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 20 June 2023 14:18:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Issue 18

Contents

Basement Wall Parts A & B, Paper Templates for Pillow and Bedspread, Fabric for Pillow and Bedspread.

Assembling the Basement
Take the base from issue 17, apply glue to the tabs on Wall A, and fix into position as shown. Make sure it is firmly in place. I used clamps, as shown, to hold in place and allowed to dry before moving onto the next stage. Next, apply wall B in the same way as shown.

Making the Bedspread and Pillow
Fold the fabric of the pillow in half. Unfold the fabric and draw a pencil line on the back of the fabric. Using the pillow template, hold it in place on one edge to the centre line you’ve just drawn and draw around it making sure you have an equal distance from the edges of the fabric as shown. Now fold the shorter edges and make a clear fold line. Do the same with the longer edges. Fold over the longer edges and apply double sided tape 1cm wide as shown. Trim each of the four corners diagonally to around 4mm. Next, remove the protective film on the tape and fold over the shorter edges. Apply 1cm double sided tape along the shorter edges as shown.
Prepare the pillow filling. I used a thick paper towel, folding it so it was around 2mm thick when pressed and slightly smaller that the pillow template. Remove the backing on the double-sided tape on the fabric and place the napkin with one edge on the centre line you drew earlier. Gently pinch the pillow edges keeping the napkin inside. Push the edges of the fabric together to form the pillow.

Place the bedspread fabric down so the pattern is on the bottom. Place the template over the fabric centrally and fold in all the edges. Unfold the fabric and apply 1cm double sided tape around the edges as shown. Peel the protective backing off the tape and fold in all the edges from the fold lines you created. Next, place the bedspread down so the pattern is on the bottom. From the top, measure 15mm from the edge and draw a line. Next, measure 5mm from the draw line and draw another line, as shown. Fold the 5mm line towards the pattern side, then fold back on the 15mm line until your bedspread looks as shown. Use 5mm double sided tape to hold the folded areas in place. Next, turn over the bedspread and apply 5mm double sided tape along the side edges. Remove the backing and place the bedspread over the bed you assembled in the first issue, applying the tape to the side of the frame of the bed as shown in the final picture.

18 (1).jpg
18 (2).jpg
18 (2a).jpg
18 (2b).jpg
18 (3).jpg
18 (4).jpg
18 (5).jpg
18 (6).jpg
18 (7).jpg
18 (8).jpg
18 (9).jpg
18 (10).jpg
18 (11).jpg
18 (12).jpg
18 (13).jpg
18 (14).jpg
18 (15).jpg
18 (16).jpg
18 (17).jpg
18 (18).jpg
18 (19).jpg
18 (20).jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 21 June 2023 12:56:28

Issue 19

Contents

Basement Wall Parts A & B, Main Clock Case, Upper Clock face Case, Clock Glass.

Assembling the Basement
Take the base from issue 18, apply glue to the tabs on Wall A, and fix into position as shown. Make sure it is firmly in place. I used clamps, as shown, to hold in place and allowed to dry before moving onto the next stage. Next, apply wall B in the same way as shown.

Assembling the Clock
Place the glass on the dial of the clock. Slide the upper clock face case onto the clock and over the glass taking care not to dislodge the glass. Apply some glue not the back of the clock to hold in place as shown.

Painting the Stepladder and Coat Stand.
Paint both the stepladder and coat stand with white paint and allow to dry. For the next step, I used a dart wood grain mahogany paint for the coat stand and a brown paint for the stepladders.

19 (1).jpg
19 (2).jpg
19 (3).jpg
19 (4).jpg
19 (5).jpg
19 (6).jpg
19 (7).jpg
19 (8).jpg
19 (9).jpg
19 (10).jpg
19 (11).jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 21 June 2023 13:22:02

Issue 20

Contents

Basement Wall Parts D1, D2, E & F, reinforcement post, Middle Clock Case, Clock Base.

Assembling the Clock
Retrieve the clock assembly from issue 19 and attach the middle section clicking the pins into the holes. Next, attach the base in the same way as shown. Apply a little glue to the back to hold in place.
Tip: I found the clock to be a little plastic looking compared with the rest of the wooden items in the room. I used a cobalt blue oil paint and painted the whole clock area, being careful not to get any on the clock face. I allowed it to dry for 15 minutes and then rubbed the excess off with cotton wool. This toned down the plastic purple look and added some shadow. See final picture.

Assembling the Basement
Take the wall part D1 and sand down the bottom tab to fit the base as shown. Test fit before applying glue. Do the same with part D2. Now apply glue to both parts and fit as shown, noting which way round they go. I allowed these to dry before I moved on to the next step.
Next, apply glue to the tabs of the part E and fit in place as shown. Note: there will be a height difference between the inner and outer walls as shown. Now do the same on the other side with part F. Allow to dry. Finally, apply wood glue to the post, making sure the longer tab faces upwards.

20 (1).jpg
20 (2).jpg
20 (3).jpg
20 (4).jpg
20 (5).jpg
20 (6).jpg
20 (7).jpg
20 (10).jpg
20 (11).jpg
20 (12).jpg