Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Kevs' - SK Miniatures 1:9 'Sun Bear Cheyenne' Bust Options
Kev the Modeller
#1 Posted : 20 August 2023 18:56:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all,

I'm going to be building several resin busts/figures in between my other more major kit builds, mainly as a fill-in whilst I wait for paint/glue to dry on those. Something that I can just pick up and do a little detail painting here and there if I only have an hour or two spare, until they're finished?

This first one has already been started whilst I've been on my 'Fishing Sabbatical, so didn't take any photos of the parts as they arrived in the box unfortunately as wasn't intending to show the build. Most of the construction has been done already, but I do still have to glue in and fill the joints on some parts like the ermine tails, etc, as it's easier to paint the areas beneath these before gluing them on?

SK Miniatures 1:9 'Sun Bear Cheyenne':

A couple of photos of what it should look like when completed:

My progress so far. After clean up and priming, I have glued the main support to the underside of the bust and blended it in to the main torso. Everything else, such as the ermine tails and the single Bison horn is just held in place temporarily with 'white tack' to see what it all looks like as one piece. I have given the long fabric support at the rear a base coat of custom mixed red prior to adding some highlights and lowlights:

The white metal feathers have had their tips drilled and then some strands of thin fuse wire added to replicate the thin strands of dyed horse hair that were usually found in the Native American head-dresses? They have had a light airbrush of a mid-tone, which is actually darker than it looks in the photos, after which I will drybrush some paler highlights, and then a darker wash to bring out the fibres along with some brown/black tips to the feathers and then the horse hair strands and their clips will be painted red. The completed feathers will all then be attached to the red fabric piece which hangs down the back of the head:

So, not a lot of progress so far it seems, buts it's still taken quite a lot of work to get this bust to the painting stage!

Thanks for looking, all comments and criticisms welcomed!

More updates to come soon.

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 20 August 2023 21:44:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's looking great Kev!Cool
In that photo of him looking straight ahead, doesn't he look the spitting image of Wes Studi as Magua in the Last of the Mohicans!Blink
Will be watching this one with interest!

Robin

Ah! I should have looked at your other post on the collection first!Blushing
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Kev the Modeller
#3 Posted : 20 August 2023 21:52:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Haha,

Yeah, was going to mention the bust in that other post, but it seems that you've already discovered it! BigGrin LOL

Thanks for looking in Robin and your nice words, much appreciated. ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 22 August 2023 09:32:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice one Kev. It will be nice to see another bust being painted. Looking forward to your progress.BigGrin Cool

Mark
admin
#5 Posted : 27 August 2023 18:26:10

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Kev, Drool Drool Drool

I love these type of busts and I can`t wait to see your artistic work on this one.

Good Luck

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
Kev the Modeller
#6 Posted : 28 August 2023 12:07:14

Thanks for looking in and your comments Mark and Derek, greatly appreciated. I have already spent several hours over this weekend painting the feathers and really enjoying the process! Still got more work to do on them yet but back at it today and hopefully will have an update to post very soon?

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra