Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Screws vs Bolts Options
Nytetrain
#1 Posted : 12 September 2023 20:14:32

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I don't know about you guys but when I am doing a large scale build of a car. I hate the screws. Especially, on a part that you can see. They are out of scale and just look horrible in general. I searched the internet for days looking for a replacement and found a site that sells scale bolts for RC cars. These are some photos of my Agora Porsche 917KH with the screws replaced with the bolts.

They make a world of difference as we don't see these ugly, out of place and out of scale screws. They come in a variety of sizes and heads starting at 1.6 x 3mm up to 3x16mm. Unfortunately, they do not have a 1.7 diameter thread, which most big model companies use for screws. I have asked them if they would expand their already big line of bolts.

If you are interested in improving your big scale models tenfold. Here is the link to their website: https://store.rc4wd.com/hardware-tools.html

Thanks for reading
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
admin
#2 Posted : 12 September 2023 22:05:47

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Ron, BigGrin

Well presented sir.

Its a point that has been a gripe for lots of people for some time now, so thanks for the research and the post. Cool Cool

It was this kind of issue that stopped me from building the recent Double Decker Bus. Parts that were normally riveted had grossly outsized Phillips screws in their place and as an ex Bus Driver they stood out even more.

Just hoping the company extend the range to cover the 1.7`s.

Should you hear anything new, please update this thread.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin.
mwb
#3 Posted : 13 September 2023 22:39:25

I could not agree more Ron. Those ugly black roundhead phillips screws (UBRPS) just cheapen the look of these models, in my humble opinion. I replace all visible
UBRPSs with bolts. or flathead screws, whatever is needed. A couple of examples -see pics.

This does require a certain expenditure. You will need a good assortment of drill bits - down to 1mm, taps - to match the bolts you use, countersinks - .25 inch/6.35mm range, and the necessary bolts and screws (see pictures).

I will add the sources I use/have used for the kit I have assembled over the years in another post if there is interest.

I pre-tap all holes as it makes assembly much easier. If you chose to try this be very careful, slow and decide if you can get a replacement part if you break a tap or drill bit off in the part. I've done both.

Happy modeling!

mwb attached the following image(s):
uni joint.jpg
uni joint 2.jpg
IMG_1062.JPG
mwb
#4 Posted : 13 September 2023 22:58:19

Still learning how to post pics properly. Sorry for the poor quality.

mwb attached the following image(s):
stash 1.JPG
stash 2.JPG