Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

ExDalek builds the Rossi YZR M1 Options
ExDalek
#1 Posted : 26 February 2024 01:16:27

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Hi all,
Hopefully I will try to document this my first partwork build here and detail any interesting finds or problems. I know a lot about motorcycles and I have built, maintained, repaired and ridden many different ones. Hopefully this will help in my build.

I will start with some information I have gathered over the years and also researching others builds of this model.
If you follow motogp you will know they first do a reveal of that years bike. Some elements of that bike may change for the first practice sessions. Also, changes can, and usually are, applied during the race season. Fairings can be modified and re-styled and/or things such as the now standard wings were added and removed at different times. The 2016 bike that this model represents had a few changes during pre and in season. Wings were used at times, but were not favoured by Rossi and do not feature on this model.
One thing that does crop up in my research is the Ohlins sticker on the front forks. These were not on the "reveal" bike and without knowing when or even how Deagostini got the designs for this model, this makes either with or without ok. Also the paint of the front forks seems to be an issue. The real forks are very metallic gold in real life and from what I have seen and read the kit ones aren't right in colour.[edit: new builds on YouTube seem to have the correct gold forks].

So, on to the build. I will try and add photos as I go.
Part 1 : top front fairing.
This part seems of high quality and comes well protected. It appears to have a clear coat, but has a slightly orange peel texture. With a quality car polish that has slight cleaning/cutting compound and an hour of applying and rubbing I got the finish smooth with no adverse affects to the decals or colour. If you try this then be careful and do not use a coarse compound such as t-cut and do it at your own risk. I have a lot of experience in paintwork and it is easy to get it wrong. I have seen in other builds where builders have applied more clear coats.
I am happy with mine - I forgot to take a "before" image though. Oh well.
Part 2 : Front Tyre and Screen.
The front tyre has a moulding line down the middle. Real bike tyres, racing or performance ones have clever multi compounds, where the centre part has a harder compound and the edges are softer to give more grip. On race tyres sometimes the edges are even different compounds to each other for when a circuit has more corners one way than the other. Therefore real MotoGP tyres don't have a centre cast line. Fresh ones do have mould lines across but they disappear very quickly as the bike rides.
I set about removing the rubber across the whole road surface of the tyre. I used sanding sponge sticks of various grades until I achieved a realistic(ish) worn in look. This took a long time. I realise I will have to do the rear tyre when it arrives. Yay.
The screen is very good. It is nice and clear whereas some kits I have had they can be a little inconsistent in thickness. This is where I noticed something not mentioned on the builds I have read. There are "the Doctor" stickers on the sides of the screen but there should be a front screen sticker of a cartoon helmeted Rossi peaking over a bar. This image is fairly easy to find on the internet so I intend to make my own version on either sticker vinyl or waterslide decal, whichever looks and works best.
That's it for now!

Edit : the extra sticker is not on the screen, but on top of the dash and is visible through the screen.
"I remember it like it was yesterday. Of course I don't really remember yesterday."
ExDalek
#2 Posted : 26 February 2024 13:29:31

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

The front screen continued :
The other screen sticker I am doing is not on the reveal bike, but is on all the practice and race photos I can find. Another note is that in practice session 1 at Philip Island Australia 2016 the bike has the fairing wings but also holes are drilled along the screen bottom. I am considering making wings...
"I remember it like it was yesterday. Of course I don't really remember yesterday."