Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

ET Build - Prep,Tips & Equipment? Options
MJ
#1 Posted : 20 January 2024 19:03:55

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I am new to this forum and model building.

I have signed up for ET - I grew up in the 1980's and have fond memories of the movie. I am currently waiting for my first pack to arrive and look forward to getting started!

Step by step, I will be pleased to follow the experts on here but, in preparation for my first ever build, I would be most grateful for any tips or guidance you may be able to offer? Should I buy any workstation equipment or specific tools? What glue would you recommend? Are there any other basic build resources you would sign post me to?

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your help.
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 20 January 2024 19:49:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

MJ wrote:
Hi,

I am new to this forum and model building.

I have signed up for ET - I grew up in the 1980's and have fond memories of the movie. I am currently waiting for my first pack to arrive and look forward to getting started!

Step by step, I will be pleased to follow the experts on here but, in preparation for my first ever build, I would be most grateful for any tips or guidance you may be able to offer? Should I buy any workstation equipment or specific tools? What glue would you recommend? Are there any other basic build resources you would sign post me to?

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your help.

Hi MJ, BigGrin

My name is Derek aka delboy271155 / Admin.

First, I would like to welcome you to the forum and wish you all the luck with your build of ET.

We would also like to see some updates of your progress as you go along in the members build section of ET. ThumpUp Any assistance to do so is readily available, just ask as we are a friendly bunch always ready to help.

Now as to your questions:

The Official Build should be your first port of call along with the instruction guides. Any tips or issues arising should be covered there and if not you can always raise a question in the ET discussion area. There is no such thing as a stupid question here, only one that has not been answered before.

Now for the tools etc:

All the tools you should require are supplied with the parts and I would recommend something like a soft hand towel on your work base to protect parts from being scratched. At this point I am not aware of the need for any glue, but should the occasion arise then it will be posted in the "Official Build" and any glues used are readily available in local stores.

I think that covers your questions, but should you require assistance at any time all you have to do is ask.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

MJ
#3 Posted : 20 January 2024 21:44:38

Thank you Derek, that is much appreciated and most reassuring.

I look forward to starting my ET build journey!
MJ
#4 Posted : 29 February 2024 19:03:55

Hi All,

I am about to start building ET, and would like to ask what type/brand of glue you would recommend for Part 2 -Stage 2? The instructions suggest using 'Some clear plastic glue around the edge'.

Thank you for your help!

Best wishes,

Mark
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 29 February 2024 20:22:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

MJ wrote:
Hi All,

I am about to start building ET, and would like to ask what type/brand of glue you would recommend for Part 2 -Stage 2? The instructions suggest using 'Some clear plastic glue around the edge'.

Thank you for your help!

Best wishes,

Mark

Hi Mark, BigGrin

Good to see that your ET adventure is about to start.ThumpUp ThumpUp

It`s always best to ask the question before you take the wrong route, well done you.Cool

I used a top brand gel superglue. The one that locks on tight. Clue LOL

Use it very sparingly, I applied it with the very tip of a cocktail stick, as that little is all that is needed. A propriety plastic glue as used on plastic model kits will frost the part if it gets on the wrong place causing serious part damage.

Hope to see some of your progress on the forum and should you need any more advise, just ask away. It`s what we are here for.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

MJ
#6 Posted : 01 March 2024 01:00:15

Many thanks Derek, that is much appreciated - will start work on ET this weekend!