Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Create and Decorate your Moominhouse Pack 13 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 13 March 2024 19:28:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Issue 46

Contents
Veranda Parts and Veranda Chair Parts.

Picture 1
shows the contents of this issue.

Before we start, I will be continuing the assembly of the veranda in the next issue, where the remainder of the pillars are supplied along with the parts in this issue. It just makes sense to complete it together in one go, rather that split it between the two issues as some painting is required.

In this issue I will be assembling the chair only.

Assembling the Veranda Chair.
Separate the chair parts using a sharp craft knife. Take the front legs along with the two leg parts as shown in picture 2. Attach one of the legs to the front leg assembly as shown in picture 3, then attach the remaining leg, picture 4.

Take the seat and lower part of the seat and using wood glue, attach them as shown in picture 5.

Place the legs of the chair with the holes facing upwards. Using wood glue attach the crossbars in the holes as shown in picture 6.

Now take the chair assembly from issue 45 and insert the chair seat in the slots, picture 7. Next, attach the front leg assembly to the seat and back legs as shown in picture 8.

Once the glue has fully dried, sand the assembly smooth and then paint it with white paint. Use several thin coats to give a nice finish.

Picture 9 shows the finished chair.

That completes the assembly for this part of the issue.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
46 (1).jpg
46 (2).jpg
46 (3).jpg
46 (4).jpg
46 (5).jpg
46 (6).jpg
46 (7).jpg
46 (8).jpg
46 (9).jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 14 March 2024 21:51:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Issue 47

Contents
Veranda Parts.

Picture 1

As I said in the previous issue, I will be assembling the veranda parts from issue 46 as well as the parts with this issue in one go.

Assembling the Veranda.
Use a craft knife to separate the decorative panels for the pillars. Smooth any edges down. You have two types of posts, one where you attach 2 of the panels to (Post B) and two posts where you attach 3 panels to (Post A) in each issue.

Fit the panels as shown in picture 2. Note the picture just shows one issue, so you will need to do this with the other same parts in the other issue.

Attach with wood glue all 6 of the supporting posts, picture 3. Next, fit the decorative petals over the posts as shown in picture 4, note the orientation.

Tip: I painted these petals as they are plastic and were a slightly different white to the wooden parts. This was purely my decision as I thought it looked better, once they were in place.

Attach all the posts using wood glue. Picture 5 shows the placement and orientation of each post.

Once the posts have dried, cut the rod from issues 44 and 45 into 10mm pieces and fit in the top of the posts with wood glue, also shown in picture 5.

Turn the assembly over and fit the small dowel rods into the six holes on the ceiling panel and attach the reinforcing brackets, pictures 6, 7 and 8.

Picture 9 shows the complete assembly for issues 46 and 47.
47 (1).jpg
47 (2).jpg
47 (3).jpg
47 (4).jpg
47 (5).jpg
47 (6).jpg
47 (7).jpg
47 (8).jpg
47 (9).jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 17 March 2024 16:58:16

Issue 48 Part 1

Contents
Veranda Roof Parts and Table for the Landing.

Picture 1

The Veranda Roof
Take all the roof parts that came with this issue, picture 2. Take one of the roof parts “A” and the roof part “B” and apply wood glue and assemble as shown in picture 3. Take the second roof part “A” and assemble with wood glue, picture 4, and allow too fully dry.

Take the left, right and front roof slopes and with a pencil and ruler connect the lines drawn on the edges to the left and right on all three parts, pictures 5 and 6.

Take the roof assembly you did previously and attach it to the top of the veranda assembly from issue 47. Push the tabs on the assembled roof into the slots on the ceiling as shown in picture 7.

Attach the roof slopes as shown in picture 8, making sure the bottom of the slopes line up with the top of the veranda ceiling.

Note: The drawn lines DO NOT need to be aligned.

That completes Part 1 of this issue.
48a (1).jpg
48a (2).jpg
48a (3).jpg
48a (4).jpg
48a (5).jpg
48a (6).jpg
48a (7).jpg
48a (8).jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 17 March 2024 17:16:08

Issue 48 Part 2

Contents
Veranda Roof Parts and Table for the Landing.

Assembling the Table for the Landing

Using a craft knife separate the parts from the two panels, picture 1. Once separated, sand the edges of the parts as shown in picture 2. Apply glue to the base, back and side parts and assemble as shown in pictures 3 and 4.

Take the small drawer part and using wood glue attach the front and back as shown in pictures 5 and 6.

The previous assembly needs to be attached to the tabletop, picture 7. Make sure it is aligned with the four squares where the legs will be placed.

Once dry, fit all four legs to the assembly, aligning them with the four squares.

Allow the assemblies to fully dry before painting them with a dark brown paint as you’ve done before. Fit the drawer handle to the drawer using quick drying glue as shown in picture 8.

Picture 9 shows the complete assembly for Part 2 of this issues.

48b (1).jpg
48b (2).jpg
48b (3).jpg
48b (4).jpg
48b (5).jpg
48b (6).jpg
48b (7).jpg
48b (8).jpg
48b (9).jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 18 March 2024 20:27:10

Issue 49

Contents
Veranda Roof Tile Parts and First Floor Staircase.

Picture 1
shows the contents for this issue.

Laying the Tiles on the Veranda Roof
Using a craft knife separate the tiles from the first sheet. Note there is one detail that is a rectangular shape and different from all the other tiles on the sheet.

First, lay the rectangular roof tile using wood glue and fix it to the bottom of the front roof, aligning it with to top edge of the pencil line. The overlap will be removed later.
Next, take one of the other tile details and place it in the centre, aligning it to the next pencil line. Lay another 2 pieces of tile detail either side. There will be quite a lot overlapping, but this is fine.
Continue with this process until the front roof is covered as shown in picture 2. I cut the excess off leaving around 1cm on the edges, also shown in picture 2.

Once the glue has dried, turn the assembly over, laying it on the roof you have just tiled. Using a sharp craft knife, I would recommend using a new blade for this, cut along the edge very carefully, picture 3.
Do this to the other side of the front roof so it looks as shown in picture 4.

Repeat the process for both the side parts, noting that the sides have a rounded edge one side, as shown in picture 5.

Using quick drying glue attach the ridge tiles as shown in picture 6. The side ridge tiles will need to be cut at the ends of the top part at 45 degrees, also shown in picture 6. Glue on the top ridge tile and then the place the small ridge over the point where the three meet.

The staircase parts with this issue will be assembled with the other parts of the staircase that come in issue 50.

Pictures 7 and 8 show the complete assembly for this issue.

49 (1).jpg
49 (2).jpg
49 (3).jpg
49 (4).jpg
49 (5).jpg
49 (6).jpg
49 (7).jpg
49 (8).jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 19 March 2024 21:02:07

Issue 50

Contents
First Floor Staircase Parts and Moominpappa’s Chair.

Picture 1
shows the contents for this issue.

Building the Staircase.
As stated in the last issue, I have decided to combine the parts of the staircase in this issue, 50, along with the parts in issue 49. The reason behind this was to build the staircase as one issue rather than in two parts split between the two issues, allowing me to paint it in one piece.
This process is the same as I did in issues 27 and 28. Gather the staircase parts from both issues. This time the staircase has four parts rather than the three before, picture 2.

Glue the parts together, which is very straight forward and a simple process. The reason for painting this is, in my opinion, I felt it was very plasticky and took away the overall look and feel of the rest of the build. Once I had glued all the parts together, I then filled in the gaps with Bondo filler. This was allowed to dry for an hour before I sanded it smooth. Next, I primed the part with grey primer, allowing this to dry fully before giving it a light sanding. The next stage, I gave the staircase two coats of spray white primer and allowed this to dry thoroughly overnight.
Finally, I painted the whole staircase with white acrylic paint using a washing up sponge to create a stipple effect. I gave this two coats of paint, drying the first coat with a hair dryer to quicken the drying process, whilst I had the paint in the pallet. The white acrylic paint must be of a thick consistency for this effect to work.

Now onto the steps. These are a cream flat plastic and although the instructions tell you to paint these with a brown paint, I felt they needed a little more to give them the wood effect this kit deserves. So, with my little rotary and glass etching tool, I lightly carved a wood grain into each plastic step, picture 3. These were then primed with white paint, using the same mixture of paint, I used on the wooden furniture; I mixed the light brown and wood grain paint together. These were given two coats of paint and allowed to dry before using a diluted black wash over each step. Finally, I gave them a coat of satin varnish to finish.

Once they were dry, I then fitted each step to the staircase as instructed. Each step has a number on the underside showing you where each one is positioned on the staircase. It does suggest using glue to hold them in place, however, these were a tight fit and this was not necessary.

Pictures 4 and 5 show the completed assembly of the staircase for this pack. The remainder parts of the steps and banister will be supplied in the next pack.

Assembling Moominpappa’s Chair
Picture 6 shows the parts in this issue to start Momminpappa’s chair.

Using a craft knife, separate the legs as shown in picture 7 and sand away any excess left behind from the cut. Take the two parts and using wood glue assemble the pieces together, pictures 8 and 9. Fix the round chair base as shown in picture 10.

Now take the seat and the ring, picture 11 and glue the ring to the underside of the chair, picture 12.

Finally, fix the leg assembly to the seat as shown in picture 13.

Picture 14 shows the complete assembly for this issue.

50 (1).jpg
50 (2).jpg
50 (3).JPG
50 (4).jpg
50 (5).jpg
50 (6).jpg
50 (7).jpg
50 (8).jpg
50 (9).jpg
50 (10).jpg
50 (11).jpg