Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

1/12 resin BRM F1 Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 27 March 2024 17:15:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

This is a resin kit from a company called Classic Models Museum.
I'm not sure they exist now and I have to say I've been avoiding this one in my stash for several years.
Why? - It's appalling.

Whoever made the pattern masters clearly had a sight problem.
Nothing about the main body is symmetrical.
It really is all over the place.
One close up pic of the nose section just to give you a clue.
HUNDREDS of parts, so we shall see how it goes...LOL LOL LOL
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
CAR.jpg
P1013362.JPG
P1013364.JPG
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 27 March 2024 19:27:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

OMG Roy, Blink

You are going to fry your brain or patience (maybe both) with this one.

The part shown looks like it would like right hand bends only and need some coaxing for a left hander.

Remember to protect yourself from resin dust when you attack it with the angle grinder. LOL

Good luck and take care.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 28 March 2024 12:31:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Thanks Derek.

I do sometimes wonder about the people who make some of these types of kits.

Anyway, after some sheet plastic and filler, it's now a tad straighter here.
Still other wonky bits to attend to but that was probably the most obvious.

P1013365.JPG
P1013367.JPG
P1013368.JPG
P1013370.JPG
goddo
#4 Posted : 28 March 2024 12:54:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Looking better already Roy.
I am sure that your magic touch on the rest of the kit will work wonders.
Chris
Kev the Modeller
#5 Posted : 30 March 2024 16:10:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Jeez, that kit is a bit of a 'pigs ear' by the look of it Roy, but you've already made a good start of knocking it into shape (quite literally!). Strange that it has a solid nose where there should be an opening for the radiator cooling? I love the old 'Yardley' sponsored BRMs and McLarens from the late '60s and early '70s, so I'll be watching this build with interest Roy.

Well done so far! ThumpUp Cool

Per Ardua Ad Astra
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 30 March 2024 17:43:07

Thanks Kev.
Yes, it really is an awful kit.
The shape of the body is miles out all over the place.

I'm just getting some white primer on it and I looked at reference for the Marlboro car.
I couldn't work out why the upper body join seemed out, when masking for the red.

Then I saw it.
The deep cut in the resin body is in completely the wrong place.
The top 'A' arm mounting point should be BELOW the cut, not above it.

I've drawn in on the picture roughly where the cut should be.

Reposition the rear upper arm mounts a bit lower down, out with the filler and some more sanding...
P1013379.JPG
Image13.jpg
Image8a.jpg
Image10.jpg
P1013381.JPG
P1013383.JPG
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 01 April 2024 10:41:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Roy, you almost want to start from scratch. Still I know you enjoy putting these things right.Cool Cool

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#8 Posted : 04 April 2024 22:53:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looks like you've really got your work cut out with this one Roy but I'm sure you'll get there given your vast experience of turning bad kits into something well worth the effort! Looking forward to following your journey.

Will you be building it in the red/white 'Marlboro-BRM' scheme as per your photos Roy? I hope so!!

Good luck with the build going forward Roy. ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra