Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Goddo's Santi Build Options
goddo
#1 Posted : 09 April 2024 12:11:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

After a good number of years, I am excited to say that I have started my DeAg build of Santisima Trinidad.
The kit has been sitting under my bench for almost five years and the time has arrived when I feel ready to start.
There are a couple of comments at the start of this that I feel are worth a mention. The kit includes a cross section kit as well and the parts issues were all jumbled up so a lot of sorting required at the onset. Secondly, I am not that impressed with the quality of the plywoods that are supplied. They are very fragile and need a lot of attention before using them.The quality and size of the deck planking is so bad (to my picky mind) that I have bought replacement ships . Enough moaning, lets' get on with it.

Contrary to what the DeAg instructions say, I was always taught to get the false keel built flat, horizontal and not twisted. I therefore diverted a bit and built up the keel and ribs from the start, getting everything to my satisfaction.

Starting to separate full build from section build.

The first job was to add temporary "nibs" to the false keel so that I could hold the model in my alignment clamp.

I also used " belt and braces method" of adding small dowel pins through the splice plates to keep everything in place.

\A laser beam along the false keel to check for true.

Tempory placement of floor beams and clamps to help straighten some of the ribs which were moderately distorted. Hot water on the ribs and a gentle blow with a hair dryer soon sorted them out.

Premature deck planking with newly purchased wood strips.

Orlop deck fitted

That's it for now. More very soon.
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 09 April 2024 13:13:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

WTG Goddo, ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Nice to see another ship build on the forum.

Off to a good start. Look forward to the future updates.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#3 Posted : 16 April 2024 17:13:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

This stage of the build is mainly getting decking planked and added to the keel.

Stern keel reinforcements added

Foremost keel reinforcements added.

Forward upper deck planking started.

One of the numerous laser alignment checks.

Upper decks temporary interface with front and rear decks sections

Upper decks finally fitted and aligned.
Now ready for two coiats of stain and finally, a coat of matt varnish.

Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 17 April 2024 13:45:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

[Looking good goddo lovely work ThumpUp
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 17 April 2024 22:57:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Lot of work gone into that, great work.Love Love Drool

Mark
goddo
#6 Posted : 18 April 2024 00:27:11

Thanks for looking in, Martyn and Mark.
Appreciate the kind comments.
Chris
tf64
#7 Posted : 18 April 2024 09:10:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris,

How pleased I am to see a wooden ship on the forum again, this is a wonderful build and I wish you well with it.

Will be following

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

goddo
#8 Posted : 18 April 2024 12:00:12

Thanks Trev,
I have to admit that after the finish of Victory I felt the need to build something different.
I went off and built wooden cars and Occre tram kits for a while.
I mentioned earlier that this kit had been sitting under my bench since early 2020 and
the lure was so strong that I couldn't resist getting started. I'm really enjoying it so far
although there have been some shocks including the quality of wood for planking. I will admit
that I am using my own instead but the other details, particularly the masts, guns, gun ports and
sails are top quality. Looking ahead I can see that some of the deck grilles and stairs may
get replaced. But I love being back ship building. My diaries are not the best I know, normally
just a series of pics in a fairly chronological order. Apologies for my ineptness in this area.
Chris