Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Graham's 97T build Options
Graham27
#1 Posted : 26 April 2024 13:09:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I thought I'd record my build and mention any tips that may be of interest to others.

Because of the issue with the cigarette logos, I may not post all my stages because I really can't be bothered making sure they aren't shown.

As well as the screwdriver and wide nose tweezers supplied in part one, I've put together some other tools that I think I might need during my build, they are:

A pointy pair of tweezers
A sharp hobby knife
A wax pencil for picking up small bits
A selection of sanding sticks
Some cotton buds (to help flatten down decals)
Micro Sol & Set Decal solutions
A brush for applying Micro Sol & Set

I also thought it was a good idea to have some small pots to keep the various sized screws in. As each part arrives, I'll empty the screws into their own pot which hopefully will make it easier to select the right screw on assembly. Also there is less chance of losing them to the carpet monster or dog!

Graham27 attached the following image(s):
Toolsr.jpg
Screw potsr.jpg
Graham27
#2 Posted : 26 April 2024 13:15:59

Part 1

I haven't applied the decals yet, but everything went together smoothly, just make sure all the pins and holes line up before fitting the screws
Part 1r.jpg
Graham27
#3 Posted : 26 April 2024 15:19:17

Part 2

Again everything went together without any hiccups, although there was one area that was a little tricky.

Step 2-6 has the fitting of the FM screw and nut.

Make sure part 2B and 2D are fitted correctly, Insert the FM screw through the two holes and using either a pair of pointed tweezers or a wax pencil, carefully position the nut and gently turn the screw making sure the nut stays in place. I must admit I had to do this about a dozen times before the nut decided to play game. It's one of those operations that is either completed first time or the nth timeCrying

I'll apply the decals to parts 1 and 2 later using Micro Set & Sol
Part 2r.jpg
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 26 April 2024 15:45:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Graham, BigGrin

Good to see a customer build of this iconic race car. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Nice to see also that you sussed out the pictures, well done.

I am building this kit as a personal build (not enough time to post unfortunately), but I will be adding the decals at the end of the build. Reason being that these builds tend to get a lot of handling during their construction, so thought best to leave until the end.

Enjoy your build and I look forward to seeing more of it.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#5 Posted : 26 April 2024 16:05:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Hello Graham.
Great to see you on board with this brilliant kit.
There are couple of really fiddly steps coming up with the inner front bulkhead and steering rack.
Its pack 2, stage 6.
A little way ahead for you, but I thought I'd give you a heads up...
If you look at the official build you'll see a MUCH easier way to do that part.

Have fun with the build.
Graham27
#6 Posted : 26 April 2024 20:26:04

roymattblack wrote:
Hello Graham.
Great to see you on board with this brilliant kit.
There are couple of really fiddly steps coming up with the inner front bulkhead and steering rack.
Its pack 2, stage 6.
A little way ahead for you, but I thought I'd give you a heads up...
If you look at the official build you'll see a MUCH easier way to do that part.

Have fun with the build.

Thanks for the heads up for pack 2, stage 6. I'll have a look at the official build pages.
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 27 April 2024 10:57:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice to see another one of these builds taking shape on the forum. Good luck Graham.

Mark
admin
#8 Posted : 27 April 2024 13:20:36

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Graham, BigGrin

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting a Build Diary. ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
Graham27
#9 Posted : 27 April 2024 13:24:12

No images today Mad as I'm not allowed to show the cigarette logos.

I applied all the decals supplied in parts 1 & 2 and I must admit, I'm not overly impressed. The 'l' letter in the decal that goes round the helmet is out of registration with all the other letters and the carrier film on all of the decals is very thick.

I kind of understand the decals having a thicker than normal carrier so that those that don't have experience of applying them can apply them fairly easily.

What I might do is have a look at some 3rd party decals and see if the carrier film is any thinner. If so I'll remove the suppled decals, wait till the end of the build and apply the 3rd party ones.

Use at your own risk, but handy tips for those that don't have any or a lot of experience applying decals:
Make sure that the surface that they are being applied to is wet with water
After cutting out and soaking, slide the decal from the paper backing sheet in roughly the right location.
Use the point of a sharp hobby knife blade (NOT in the gold areas) to gently move the decal to the correct position
If needed, using a piece if kitchen towel, gently remove excess water from around the decal
Gently roll a cotton bud over the decal to remove any excess water.
If the decal is difficult to move into position, add some water around and under the decal with a soft brush to ease movement.

Till the next time.....

Graham27
#10 Posted : 27 April 2024 17:00:24

admin wrote:
Hi Graham, BigGrin

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting a Build Diary. ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

Woo Hoo.....BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Steve279021
#11 Posted : 27 April 2024 18:02:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Graham, good to see another build. Looks like we will be building ours in tandem. I'll be following👍
Senna mclaren mp4/4 build complete mp4/4 build http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=12029

Dodge charger build
https://forum.deagostini....1686229545.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=9709046