Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages «<8910
Odo's Build Options
Odo
#181 Posted : 17 May 2024 11:45:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Thanks guysSmile

Just a quick one as I got my lighting sorted for the cut-away section.

Leaving the lighting installation as an afterthought - or more like "shouldn't be too much of an issue to fit it later" - turned out to be very silly mistake...

Glueing the LEDs in place not so much, but concealing the excess wiring and preventing it from dangling down was more than a frustrating challenge.

My thought was to hide it all between the upper deck planking and a second ceiling but as it turned out, some of the supplied figures already touch the upper deck planking and lowering the ceiling would prevent me from showing the crew at allHuh

Now I'm left with the exposed wiring. I think the only option i'm left with will be to paint the wires in a light wood colour in order for them to be less obvious...

Odo attached the following image(s):
IMG_6059.jpg
IMG_6063.jpg
Odo
#182 Posted : 17 May 2024 11:48:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

I'd like to disguise the LEDs with some sort of cover to make them look more like lanterns. Anyone any ideas where to find some which I might be able to use?
IMG_6066.jpg
Odo
#183 Posted : 17 May 2024 11:50:17

Turns out a was quite careless with the deck plankingLaugh Glare
IMG_6068.jpg
Martyn Ingram
#184 Posted : 17 May 2024 13:04:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Odo wrote:
I'd like to disguise the LEDs with some sort of cover to make them look more like lanterns. Anyone any ideas where to find some which I might be able to use?

Hi odo I made some lanterns out of plastic tubes from small paint brush covers for my cross section .
Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Odo
#185 Posted : 17 May 2024 19:03:59

Martyn Ingram wrote:
Odo wrote:

Hi odo I made some lanterns out of plastic tubes from small paint brush covers for my cross section .
Rgd Martyn

Of course! That's such simple jet effective solution!!!

I initially thought of cutting slots into some brass tubes but your suggestion Martyn is so much better and easier to do. I've got a few brush covers and they are slightly opaque, just needs the lantern frame painted on LOL

Woot Woot Woot that just made my day Martyn, thanksThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

PS.: ...and that's why I love this forum!BigGrin
Martyn Ingram
#186 Posted : 17 May 2024 19:16:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin no problem m8 always willing to help
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Odo
#187 Posted : 06 July 2024 00:15:21

Hi folks,

gone down another rabbit hole here...

The visual enhancement that self made ropes give to ship models has caught my interest long ago and I couldn't get my mind off it.

With the help of this forum, inspiration from other ship builders and hours of YouTube videos, I managed to build my own little rope walk machine. Luckily, materials are easy to source these day and the hole build didn't quite break the bank either...

I have not yet tried to make a single rope yet. At which time, I'm sure some more improvement will have to be made such as adding wheels and extended wiring to make use of a remote

Here is my version at it's current state

IMG_6312.jpg
IMG_6313.jpg
IMG_6314.jpg
IMG_6397.jpg
IMG_6398.jpg
IMG_6399.jpg
Odo
#188 Posted : 06 July 2024 00:23:09

At the moment I can stack it to be more compact when stored away. The addition of wheels might compromise this, but I guess as so many others used wheels on the trolley to reduce friction, so they seems essential rather than just let the trolley slide on a flat surface!?
IMG_6413.jpg
IMG_6424.jpg
IMG_6430.jpg
IMG_6429.jpg
IMG_6427.jpg
IMG_6428.jpg
goddo
#189 Posted : 06 July 2024 14:49:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Odo,
Very ingenious and beautifully made.
I look forward to seeing some of the rope manufacture. Well done sir!!
Chris
delboy271155
#190 Posted : 07 July 2024 12:34:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Odo, ThumpUp

That is very impressive. WTG.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

richard.l
#191 Posted : 11 July 2024 20:47:35

Excellant work again Odo, i look forward to seeing your work.
Odo
#192 Posted : 14 July 2024 20:50:04

Thanks guys!

After trialing the rope walk, I very quickly realised why others have use a switch extension. Trying to operate the two machines at two different ends using the installed switches proved to be completely impractical.

Therefore, I installed wireless switches to avoid having a cable dangling around.
IMG_6489.jpg
Odo
#193 Posted : 14 July 2024 20:54:00

I'm very pleased with the result of my first ropes. Seeing self-made ropes on picture is one thing but looking at them for real makes you really appreciate the difference to the supplied threads and ropes with this kit!

This black rope is made from the 0.15mm supplied thread.
IMG_6482.jpg
Odo
#194 Posted : 14 July 2024 20:58:27

The beige rope was made from Güntermann yarn, same as used by Olha Batchvarov, who in general was a great inspiration for this little project!
IMG_6480.jpg
IMG_6483.jpg
Odo
#195 Posted : 14 July 2024 21:00:19

For comparison, I changed the rope used on the barrels - one of the first things I built.
IMG_6477.jpg
IMG_6488.jpg
Markwarren
#196 Posted : 15 July 2024 10:37:42

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very impressive. Looking forward to seeing this working.Love Love

Mark