Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Issue 15 and 17 parts - are they sided Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 18 August 2024 13:30:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, Blink

As there are discussions ongoing about this topic, I have today dug deep into my stash of boxes and taken out the relative parts from issues 15 and 17.

Should and are these parts sided?

My answer is Yes they should be and Yes they are, BUT the difference is minimal so could be easily missed.

I have attached a picture below, that shows the ends of the parts that are hook shaped. There is a slight angle to the end of said hook parts that are indicated by the red lines.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
20240818_105844.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#2 Posted : 18 August 2024 14:06:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I know I mentioned in another post that the two parts are the same, that was based on looking at my model with these parts assembled.
Because of the way they are fitted, they DO look the same so apologies for my incorrect assessment.
Steve279021
#3 Posted : 18 August 2024 14:16:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I got your message Derek but not sure if you'll get the reply as your inbox was full
Senna mclaren mp4/4 build complete mp4/4 build http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=12029

Dodge charger build complete
https://forum.deagostini....1686229545.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=9709046
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 18 August 2024 14:52:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Steve279021 wrote:
I got your message Derek but not sure if you'll get the reply as your inbox was full

No problem Steve. Must be a glitch in the system as I only have 4 old messages in my inbox.

The important thing is that you got the message.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

Steve279021
#5 Posted : 21 August 2024 10:45:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have to say that I'm with Graham on this one. The parts in question look exactly the same and they should definitely be sided. I think this is an error because sided parts always seem to have R or L on them even if they are really small. The fact they don't points to the fact that they are the same part and it's also curious that the part comes loose in the bag whereas all the other parts are in the plastic tray which suggests that this part was a later addition. Here are pics of both sides
Steve279021 attached the following image(s):
20240821_083652.jpg
20240821_083700.jpg
Senna mclaren mp4/4 build complete mp4/4 build http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=12029

https://forum.deagostini....1686229545.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=9709046
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 21 August 2024 15:36:20

Hi Steve and anyone joining this thread, BigGrin

Thankyou Steve for your input, appreciated as always. ThumpUp

My jury is still out on this one as I had to wait from March until 2 weeks ago to get issue 9. I am now , when I get the time between everything else moving forward with this build.

I am up to issue 13 (completed), so not long hopefully before I can give my informed decision with the parts I have had supplied.

I will therefore respond again on this thread at that time.

Thanks again to Steve for the very clear pictures.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

roymattblack
#7 Posted : 21 August 2024 18:59:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I have looked closely at my build again and maybe I'm lucky, but both sides are different. Not the same part.
I suspect it might be someone at the packaging end who doesn't realise the bits are different and are just putting the same part in both packs.
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 21 August 2024 20:27:18

Hi All, BigGrin

The jury is back in:

To try and resolve this problem, I have built issue 14 and then jumped to issue 15 where the troublesome part is fixed.

What do I find. I remove the screw from the previous stage, position the part 15J, insert the new screw SM and everything is cushtie. All parts line up as they should. Confused

I then turned my attention to issue 17, before I get loads of parts in the way. So I remove the screw from a previous issue, position the part 17I in place and fix it with the new screw SM and everything is perfect.Confused

At this point I`m sat looking at the bottom front end of my Lotus seriously confused.

LIGHT BULB MOMENT

"IF" the A frame where the hook engages has been flipped when installed, then the parts with the hook will not fit straight.

I understand that this will mean a fair bit of disassembly, but I have an awful feeling that this is what has happened.

Take a look before you disassemble as it may then become obvious that the small A frames are not fitted correctly.

I can provide pictorial evidence if required, but want to stop people building further so as not to increase the disassembly required.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

Steve279021
#9 Posted : 21 August 2024 23:16:52

I think if the a frames weren't installed correctly then the barge board wouldn't have lined up with the front wing. I think it's what roy said, that there are 2 different parts left and right but it looks like myself and Graham have been provided with 2 right side ones, stage 15 should of had a left sided one in.

delboy271155
#10 Posted : 22 August 2024 12:16:18

Steve279021 wrote:
I think if the a frames weren't installed correctly then the barge board wouldn't have lined up with the front wing. I think it's what roy said, that there are 2 different parts left and right but it looks like myself and Graham have been provided with 2 right side ones, stage 15 should of had a left sided one in.

Hi Steve,

Appreciate your response.

As I said above I fitted the parts without anything in the way, so had not taken into account the barge boards.

Now, I have just looked at the barge board base 15C. Bear with me for a moment because, if the A frame is the wrong way round the difference of the barge board mounting points is small and as the base board is flexible a small amount of flex may cover the problem. QUICK CHECK, put a small straight edge along the underside of the base board 15C and it should be flat along its length. If it is then I would agree that you need a replacement part 15J. If you need a replacement then contact Customer Services for a replacement issue 15. (They won`t send out odd parts)If you have any trouble then PM me on either of my accounts, this one I`m using or "Admin"

Thanks again for your continued input to this issue.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek) Admin

Steve279021
#11 Posted : 22 August 2024 12:25:11

Cheers Derek, I'll have another look👍