Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<789
going to have a go Options
jinks8
#161 Posted : 25 February 2011 01:57:39

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

After putting the secondary gun turrets together started to mess around with railings on the turrets found sun wire thin enough not to look out of place turned not to bad but close up not brill need more work and les solder one thing the wood base fixed it in place but had to get it off again as sum of the pins for the railings went through the hole’s and would not cum out no matter how much I shuck the dam thing. The aerial’s that came with the kit needed a bit of work on them they looked ok but a bit too much solder on them and not too good it was only on one side and not all the way round. This was put right by covering them in flux holding them fast on a flat surface and with a hot soldering iron so it spreads around and some of the solder can be taken of
jinks8
#162 Posted : 04 March 2011 00:04:29

Have been working on the deck crane and aft Ariel mast and they went together without problem’s fixing the mast to its base that is a different mater sticking a brass Ariel on to a cast base is just about impossible solution make a brass one then it can be soldered on and so can the supports on the underside put a hole in the base support tower so it can be fixed to deck
jinks8
#163 Posted : 15 April 2011 12:43:31

still at it but the boss thought it was time to paint the flat so not bin abel to do a lot the vidio cam will on longer talk to my computers so have to fix that or get a new cam corder will be back shortly
budgie
#164 Posted : 27 August 2011 22:51:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi Jinks ru ok

Hows it going with ure build

did she sail ok
cheers
Budgie
jinks8
#165 Posted : 29 November 2011 17:40:16

Yes still hear had it built once but she was way to top heavy had her on the water but was far to choppy and with one I.C boat flying round should not have tried to put it on the water but ha ho she capsized lost one main gun and one secondary gun just the saltiest bit of water in her was enough to disrupt steering sending her over so now I am going to strip away a lot of the later armament and send her back in time to 1941 and see if that will help it will still be a faire weather ship still no cam for pics as yet hope to get new from santer all i can say is the first sailing was Crying Cursing Blushing Crying Angry Mellow
Tomick
#166 Posted : 29 November 2011 17:48:41

Groups:

Hi Jinks, good to know your still around.

Sorry to hear of the outcome, I did have reservations about her being too top heavy, hopefully you can get her sorted and some fair weather use out of her.

Good on you for having a go ThumpUp
willie
#167 Posted : 29 November 2011 18:50:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

on about solder have you ever tried solder past it makes a neat job a quick heat with a small gas soilder iron flame just brush it on the seams and heat very little needed
jinks8
#168 Posted : 30 November 2011 00:18:17

Yes have used solder past use three deferent kinds wire past and paint all from fine scale they deal with model rail way but have an unbelievable range of solder fluxes and metal treatments http://www.finescale.org.uk/ have a look
jinks8
#169 Posted : 30 November 2011 00:40:13

Well so did i but had to have a go and with a lot of the weight go should be ok so keep your fingers crossed is fine in bath it was not the best day to try her a bit choppy and an champion I.C racer on the water lost steerage and instead of getting the rescue boat tried to bring it in under power just waiting for wind to drop to go fishing for guns with big magnet gun barrels are magnetic If unlucky will have to order more will be out as wind drops and have mate on hand to vid a successful sail