Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Our MP423 Build Options
jimthedj65
#1 Posted : 03 October 2011 13:32:09

Groups: Registered

Hi Guys,

I am starting the build after collecting 27 issues, I am collecting two of them and looking at a different version. maybe a Heikki Kovalainen 23 to compliment the car?

I have built a wordpress site to also build a diary Mclaren Mp4-23 Site

Thanks to all for sharing all your build tips...
Builds in progress:
1:8 McLaren MP4/23 (DeAgostini) x 2

Waiting to Build:
SennaMentalMe
#2 Posted : 03 October 2011 13:49:45

Groups:

BigGrin Hi Jim,

Welcome to the forum, nice to have another McLaren builder on board and I hope that you enjoy the build, stick with it, it will be a great model when finished. Look forward to seeing some pics and a great blog you have there, loved the video clip!! Take it you are not a Lewis Fan then if you are thinking of doing a Heikki version ?? Not that it matters whether you are or not, they're all good drivers otherwise they wouldn't be in Formula 1 would they?? It's just that some are better than others !! (Tongue in cheek comment) LOL LOL

I have my car built up to the current issue (will be updating my build diary VERY soon - been too long) and if I had to give just one tip to someone starting out I would say, don't rush, it's not a race, though it is a racing car!! Take your time and check before you glue or remove paint and you will do a fine job. (Slowly the tortoise wins the race) ThumpUp

P.S. I would say that the rear wing is the trickiest part to build so far and I found it best to glue one piece on at a time and then let it dry for 24 hours before attempting the next piece, otherwise you may find it very awkward to keep everything in place!!

Regards ... Kev. BigGrin
jimthedj65
#3 Posted : 03 October 2011 16:12:43

Hi Kev and thanks for your encouragement, it has been a long time since I did some real modeling..

The blog is something I have done for years and like to add my own spin on to my diary etc etc so thanks for the early feedback...

I am a Ferrari fan but admire Lewis enormously, I wish I could get a Ferrari build from Kyosho.... I thought a Heiki version would look good inside a display case side by side with some history summary etc..

I was wondering if you know where I could source a driver 1/8th model to have it standing beside the car to add some nostalgia...

At the current pace I will finish my model by the time am deadLOL no seriously I am going to take my time, I have done some serious pre-reading and feel confident to get stuck in now.

Thanks for your support and can't wait to see your updates..
Builds in progress:

Waiting to Build:
scottww86
#4 Posted : 03 October 2011 16:15:27

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

try here m8. http://www.seanmillsmoto...igurines.com/index.html theres a bit of a wait though i think!! see in the general discussion thread on driver model.

good luck with the build!
If at first you don't succeed........skydiving is not for you!
SennaMentalMe
#5 Posted : 03 October 2011 18:27:51

Groups:

BigGrin Hi Jim,

jimthedj65 wrote:

... I am a Ferrari fan but admire Lewis enormously, I wish I could get a Ferrari build from Kyosho....

Not quite the same as the current McLaren partwork but if you like Ferrari you could try this:

http://www.deagostini-f2007.com/

... and it's made by Kyosho according to the advert !!

... and you won't find better 1/8 figurines than those from the site that Scott has indicated above !!

... and if you have a problem with your build which begs a question, just ask, however daft it may seem, as there is always someone on here who knows the answer!! (usually Tomick or Mr.T as he is more commonly known)

... and that's me done ... for now!! LOL

Regards ... Kev. BigGrin
jimthedj65
#6 Posted : 03 October 2011 20:16:29

SennaMentalMe wrote:
BigGrin Hi Jim,

P.S. I would say that the rear wing is the trickiest part to build so far and I found it best to glue one piece on at a time and then let it dry for 24 hours before attempting the next piece, otherwise you may find it very awkward to keep everything in place!!

Regards ... Kev. BigGrin

have any of you guys had any experience with REACT superglue, was recommended by my local model shop and EMA plastic weld???????? Model Shop

Thanks
Builds in progress:

Waiting to Build:
jimthedj65
#7 Posted : 04 October 2011 20:43:12

Part 1 attempted and mistake number 1

1) used super glue and made a mess..

Will have to order another 1st copy....

I would have got away with it if the middle flap didn't slip ...... Ahhh well lesson learned

jimthedj65 attached the following image(s):
frontwing1stattempt.jpg
Builds in progress:

Waiting to Build:
MWG
#8 Posted : 04 October 2011 22:42:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done Jim,
I believe these adhesives work for me, and I wear gloves when handling the parts. othe people will share their ideas welcome aboard, and I always say do not rush Modelling is a Journey not a destination, Happy buildingCool BigGrin
MWG attached the following image(s):
007 DB5 057.jpg
007 DB5 058.jpg
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

scottww86
#9 Posted : 05 October 2011 11:16:48

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

them pictures get everywhere!! lol
If at first you don't succeed........skydiving is not for you!
SennaMentalMe
#10 Posted : 05 October 2011 12:19:40

Groups:

jimthedj65 wrote:
Part 1 attempted and mistake number 1

1) used super glue and made a mess..

BigGrin Hi Jim,

It looks from your photo as though you have quite a lot of white 'Blooming' or 'Clouding' around all of the glue points on your wing and not just where the middle stay has slipped as you pointed out?? I don't know if you are aware so I'll say it anyway, but most 'Super Glues' give off a really aggressive vapour whilst curing, which WILL attack the exposed surfaces of any plastic around the glue joint and particularly any pre-painted surfaces, which looks like the result in your photo?? It is fine to use if the surface is to be painted later, but if it is already pre-painted as it is here, (or clear plastic) Superglue will ruin the paint everytime unless used in very small amounts (and I mean tiny spots)!!

When you get your replacement Issue 1, as a fellow modeller wanting to help, I would advise you to use ABS glue everywhere, without exception, that it says to use ABS in the instructions and even then sparingly with a 'Cocktail stick' to both surfaces (I use the same one as Mike has advised above - 'Evo-Stik Pipe Weld' - and it works fine). I would only use 'Superglue' WHERE it says so, as in where a metal part (such as the middle stay) needs to be bonded to an ABS plastic part and again very sparingly with 'cocktail sticks' and preferably a 'non-running' Gel type such as the one Mike has shown. Personally, I use Slo-Zap (Thick) which most good model shops will stock. I only prefer this as, although it does basically the same job as Mikes' Loctite, you get a lot more in the pot for about the same money !!

If you stick to those methods and what it says in the instructions, you should find a better result?? Oh, and I would second Mikes' advice and wear some 'Lint-free' gloves (Ebay) when handling the model and DON'T get glue on your fingers !! I hope that is helpful advice for you and I wish you good luck with the restart. BigGrin ThumpUp

Regards ... Kev. BigGrin
MWG
#11 Posted : 05 October 2011 12:41:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well explained KevCool BigGrin
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

SennaMentalMe
#12 Posted : 05 October 2011 13:00:39

Groups:

BigGrin Thankyou Mike, I like to help the new modellers if I can, otherwise they ruin expensive partworks, then give up and never come back, which would be a shame as modelling is such a great hobby!! Crying

Regards ... Kev. BigGrin
MWG
#13 Posted : 05 October 2011 18:48:30

I agreeBigGrin

jimthedj65
#14 Posted : 05 October 2011 19:15:52

thsanks guys, I had ABS available and my brain wasn't in gear LOL I did take my time but the superglue was as you said kev gave of a vapor that melted areas and wasn't cool..

So superglue only for metal areas or hard to glue areas now ....

Thanks for your support.. I ordered two copies of part 1 to be safe and will attempt it again on the weekend....
BigGrin
Builds in progress:

Waiting to Build:
SennaMentalMe
#15 Posted : 08 October 2011 15:21:47

Groups:

BigGrin Hi Jim,

Ding, Ding ... round two !! LOL LOL

You should post up comparison photos between the two wings to show how it looks using the right and wrong glues ?? Would be a useful tip for other newcomers maybe ??

I would have done it myself already, but I'm not prepared to waste a front wing just to illustrate the point !! Blink

Good luck with the retry Jim. ThumpUp

Regards ... Kev. BigGrin
jimthedj65
#16 Posted : 08 October 2011 17:08:10

SennaMentalMe wrote:
BigGrin Hi Jim,

Ding, Ding ... round two !! LOL LOL

You should post up comparison photos between the two wings to show how it looks using the right and wrong glues ?? Would be a useful tip for other newcomers maybe ??

I would have done it myself already, but I'm not prepared to waste a front wing just to illustrate the point !! Blink

Good luck with the retry Jim. ThumpUp

Regards ... Kev. BigGrin

Kev, down but not out, Great idea I will post the two to show the comparison and anything to help all of us NOOB's can only be good for the modelling.. my lack of engaging brain has to be a negative to a positive for someone LOL.....

thanks for the continued support..

ThumpUp Woot
Builds in progress:

Waiting to Build:
SennaMentalMe
#17 Posted : 08 October 2011 17:17:45

Groups:

jimthedj65 wrote:
.. my lack of engaging brain has to be a negative to a positive for someone LOL....

BigGrin Hi Jim,

Connecting a negative to a positive usually encourages the juices to flow (electrically and in this case creatively !!) LOL LOL

Regards ... Kev. BigGrin
jimthedj65
#18 Posted : 13 January 2012 14:00:07

Hi All,

I am back after getting myself new glasses, I struggled with my old pair. I am now up to issue 41 with my newsagent and will start to get on to serious build schedule.

I have tried to get my two folders from customer service, they have my money but still 3 months later no folders and money sits on my account, can anyone help????

Anyway my second attempt on the front wing was a bit more successful, photos on its way....

HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Builds in progress:

Waiting to Build:
SennaMentalMe
#19 Posted : 13 January 2012 15:00:41

Groups:

BigGrin Hi Jim,

Glad you've got your eyes sorted and I look forward to seeing your photos. If you've had no joy from Customer Services try sending a PM to Admin and ask if they can help to mediate ??

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too !! ThumpUp

BigGrin Kev
Skiddy
#20 Posted : 17 January 2012 17:13:59

Have you thought about buying a magnifier. I bought a large one with a round tube light with a flexy arm off ebay and is invaluable. Was about £25