Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Newbie as arrived in port!!!!!! Options
Del_Boy
#1 Posted : 20 January 2012 02:36:07

Groups: Registered

Just subscribed to The Akagi sub, can`t wait to get rolling,from what ive seen it looks one awesome model to build. Hello Everyone!!!!!!BigGrin

Current Builds

HMS VICTORY
The Akagi
Battleship Yamato

To Give up is to fail, to keep trying is to suceed!!!!!
MWG
#2 Posted : 20 January 2012 02:45:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

A big warm welcome to the AKAGI build Del boyBigGrin

Regards
MikeBigGrin
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

jase
#3 Posted : 20 January 2012 08:39:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome BigGrin Yes you are right she looks fantastic Love looking forward to seeing your progress.

JCool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#4 Posted : 20 January 2012 09:27:38

Groups:

Welcome aboard Del_Boy Cool
Ger C
#5 Posted : 20 January 2012 11:49:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome aboard,

As a new member myself I have found that the other members are very helpful and give good advice

I look forward to see your progress

Ger
Del_Boy
#6 Posted : 20 January 2012 12:17:24

Thank you very much shipmates, i look forward to sharing my progress with you all Cool
Current Builds

HMS VICTORY
The Akagi
Battleship Yamato

arpurchase
#7 Posted : 20 January 2012 18:26:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome aboard M8BigGrin
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MIGHTYLEEDS
#8 Posted : 07 February 2012 09:03:00

Groups: Registered, registriert

Hi all,just started on the Akagi,whats the best way to start these subscription models? wait till you have a couple of months worth of sets,sorry but never done one of these types of models before,been plastic for years.
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 07 February 2012 09:37:17

BigGrin Hi Mightyleeds
Welcome to the forum, with the Akagi and the Yamato models i waited till i had all the hull base plates then added all the hull formers in 1 go,remember to check that all the formers are not warped in any way[a good soak in water for 10/20 mins and clamping between two pieces of wood overnight will ussaly cure this problem].Also you will need a good dry dock to fix the hull too untill the majority of the planking is compleat[this stops you building the dreaded banana boatCrying ]i used a piece of 6 by 2 by 43 inches for the Akagi i got from my local woodmill for £5.00.Also take your time and look on other peoples build diarys if your stuck/unsure of anything,or failing that ask the question there are loads of people on here to give advice,finaly enjoy your build and il look forward to seeing your build diary when u get started
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Del_Boy
#10 Posted : 07 February 2012 12:08:08

Probably wait a few months until you have enough parts, well thats my approach, im the same never done this type of modeling, so welcome aboard Mightyleeds and goodluck BigGrin
Current Builds

HMS VICTORY
The Akagi
Battleship Yamato

MWG
#11 Posted : 07 February 2012 15:00:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mightyleeds a big warm welcome to the forumBigGrin

Andys advice is spot on, the Dry Dock is the most important, here is what it looks like:-

Regards

MikeBigGrin
MWG attached the following image(s):
IJN AKAGI 061.jpg
MWG HMS HOOD 042.jpg
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Tomick
#12 Posted : 08 February 2012 01:22:22

Groups:

Welcome mighty Leeds, hope you enjoy the build Cool
Ger C
#13 Posted : 08 February 2012 02:29:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Del,

I followed the same approach as you and collected a few issues before gluing the frames together, this is my first wooden model also and am glad that I waited as I can look at the other members build diaries and see what i should be doing nextBigGrin

Enjoy your build but I must say that it is taking me a lot longer than I expected,

Ger
karl1113
#14 Posted : 08 February 2012 13:02:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

welcome all you newbees,and have fun,and enjoy,a little tip,whilst waiting for parts why not make a start on the metal work parts,gives you time to de-burr(file)and paint them?
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Ger C
#15 Posted : 12 February 2012 02:33:29

Hi all,

with hindsight I think that Karl is right, I waited to have a few issues before starting and am now up to speed with the wooden parts but have a pile of metal waiting to be be put togetherBlushing

Ger
Dr4gonBones
#16 Posted : 12 February 2012 10:32:47

Morning Gents,

when it comes to metal parts, when do you guys start painting?

The instructions say more or less paint every little part before assembly. But then you cant use filler to get those perfect seemless joints.

With the akagi and yamato- i've opted to leave painting until later in the day when i have most of the metal parts assembled ( not assembled so much as to not be able to spray anywhere) and then complete assembly. seems like a better use of paint too.

Anybody else do this or should I paint when they tell me too?

Current Builds:
DeAgostini Akagi
DeAgostini Yamato
MWG
#17 Posted : 12 February 2012 10:44:19

It is a personal preferance, I like to wait till I have a good amount to
do probably when most of the wood work is completedBigGrin Regards MikeBigGrin

arpurchase
#18 Posted : 12 February 2012 12:27:37

BigGrin As Mike says its a personel preferance,but the Akagi bridge has the plastic windows inserted right at the start so masking will be needed here. I personally add components if there going to be attached/ assembled to a larger piece but not if there going to be floating around loose for a while.
regards
AndyThumpUp Cool