Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

weathering Options
moriarty
#1 Posted : 13 March 2012 01:35:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all you tankers,thought you might like a look at this. It belongs to a mate of mine who has only ever built 2 tanks ,both ww1 and he has only weathered one and it is this whippet. I taught him all the tricks and all that and then he got on with it himself. I think he,s done really well for a complete beginner.

HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
moriarty
#2 Posted : 13 March 2012 01:37:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
moriarty
#3 Posted : 13 March 2012 01:39:18

Last one for the moment guys , comment welcome and I,ll pass them on.

HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
Jack Sparrow
#4 Posted : 13 March 2012 20:52:30

Groups:

Excellent for a first go!!!!Drool BigGrin Mmmmm You have taught him well Master Moriarty!!BigGrin BigGrin
Mad Muppet
#5 Posted : 14 March 2012 18:31:41

I'd be very happy with that, he's done a grand job.
jase
#6 Posted : 15 March 2012 20:44:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

cool what is the technique for simulating mud then?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
moriarty
#7 Posted : 15 March 2012 21:35:23

Hi there jase, there is a few ways of doing the dirtand I think it depends on what you like. Thereis a post somewhere else on the forum on weathering which I done and this was with ground sponge the kind for model railways mixed with pva glue and a bit of ground colour and applied where ever, then dry brushed when dry with ground colour. That one up there is probably done with some plaster paris mixed with ground colour paint and then just splatted on. He is a bit resourceful is my mate and I would,nt be surprised if there was real sand in there as well.Burnt umber oil paint mixed with white spirit and thinned right down is a good weathering medium also applied along side some pastels finely ground down and then everything dry brushed and highlighted. I also think a lot depends on where the vehicle is going to sit ie a field, road,beach, dirty track, in a bush. I will repost a pic of my mates other ww1 tank which he built and I weathered.

HMS Surprise
HMS Snake
HMS Bounty
HMS Royal Caroline
HMS Victory rebuild
HMS Supply
jase
#8 Posted : 15 March 2012 22:00:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi and thanks for the response. much the same approach i would use but I am always on the lookout for new ideas.

thanks a lot BigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Hans
#9 Posted : 16 March 2012 07:43:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Most interesting and brilliant stuff.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section