Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Danny's McLaren Build! Options
Senna94
#1 Posted : 15 April 2011 22:22:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi all,
Thanks for viewing before I start!
Little bit about me before I dive in! Im Danny, 21 and from Leeds, West Yorkshire.
I work in IT, but my real love is motorsport. Doesn't matter what kind, from F1 to DTM, from V8 Supercars to WRC, I will attend and watch as much as possible!
F1 is my passion. McLaren being my team... Obviously!! BigGrin
I subscribed last year when DeAgo released the MP4-22 from Canada, Hamiltons first win, and was totally gutted when it got canned! Mad
I'm new to model building, apart from the odd airfix kit I got for Xmas (Which doesn't really count!) as a kid and built it with wallpaper paste and a garden trowel, or so it looks when I look at them now!
So this is a new venture for me.. I've always wanted to model build, but time and in some cases money, it never took off. And now, I'm hooked!

So to kick the build diary off, I researched as much as I could about tools, adhesives and equipment as much as possible because, lets face it, no one whats a pig's ear of a model, spesh this one!, when it's finished!
I went out and bought - Craft knife, some small sized paintbrushes, A3 cutting mat, flush side cutters, a better screwdriver, set of modeller tweezers, decal softener, both types of glue needed (albeit one turned out to be pants! Thanks SennaMentalMe! BigGrin)then some of the other not so expensive stuff, chop sticks which we've accumulated over the years, cocktail sticks and rubber bands.

So on I went with the build, Well I didnt find it a straight walk in the park I must say, but a bit of messing about I soon picked up the hang of it. I bought the first two issues from the Newsagents and got two from my subscription, So two wings later and heres my photo diary below -

]

And thats where I stopped for the time being, After using the wrong glue for this job, I headed straight out and bought the correct stuff and thats where I'll take off from when I start again.
I Hope its not too long winded, and I hope you have/will enjoy my diary.
I'll try to keep it as light hearted as possible, and will take ANY advice.
Please tell me if you feel I can improve in any way which or form, Its the only way to get better I guess!

Building the McLaren MP4-23
Warthog
#2 Posted : 20 April 2011 17:25:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi Danny and welcome to the Forum... Looking good and look forward to your build diary BigGrin

Spence
Senna94
#3 Posted : 21 April 2011 16:57:12

Warthog wrote:
Hi Danny and welcome to the Forum... Looking good and look forward to your build diary BigGrin

Spence

Thanks Spence!

Its not going to be anything like yours but heres to the first model I'm building!

BigGrin
Warthog
#4 Posted : 21 April 2011 18:18:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Danny we all have to start somewere and I've been doing kits since I was a lad watching my dad build them.. go into my loft and there must be 50 kits untouched lol.. it's a big shame that the number of model shops about are falling very rapidly and with this build it might just put help bring it all back..

Just to add to your original post about where you can improve..... just take your time.. you have 85 weeks lol and most of all enjoy it. Any questions please feel free to ask

Spence
Senna94
#5 Posted : 01 September 2011 11:43:23

Hey Guys,
I'm back! Well kind of!
Since the start of April til now I havn't had a day of work! well apart from the weekend the British GP was on, and with me working shifts its hard to be in the right frame of mind to do this, whether it be being tired or catching up on the stuff around the house after nights!
The main reason why I havnt had any holiday is because I took 6 weeks of it in March to make the pilgrimage to the Australian GP!
Now Ive got some holiday lined up and will (hopefully) be cracking on with this as it looks like I've got of catching up to do!
I have however, been keeping up to date with everything on the forum, peoples builds, and all the other news and posts. I havn't abandoned you all!

Keep up the good work!

schueyking
#6 Posted : 13 September 2011 14:49:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good mate!
massive
#7 Posted : 13 September 2011 18:26:40

hi mate looking great with the model. just wanted to ask you though how do you get on with the plastic weld in the bottle in your first pics? iv got the same stuff and i think is pretty good but very runny. it also drys so quick sometimes im not quick enough to get the parts together and have to put more on. iv not made any mistakes with it yet but i do have to be very carefull with it. just wanted to know your thoughts thats all.
Warthog
#8 Posted : 13 September 2011 18:34:06

massive wrote:
hi mate looking great with the model. just wanted to ask you though how do you get on with the plastic weld in the bottle in your first pics? iv got the same stuff and i think is pretty good but very runny. it also drys so quick sometimes im not quick enough to get the parts together and have to put more on. iv not made any mistakes with it yet but i do have to be very carefull with it. just wanted to know your thoughts thats all.

Hold the parts together and then gently apply the glue.. let it run down the joints.. the capillary action of the liquid will do the job. Hold for a few seconds then place down carefully.. Make sure you don't over do it as it will run under your fingers and then you have 1:1 scale fingerprints on it!!

Spencer
Senna94
#9 Posted : 14 September 2011 11:33:14

Hi guys,
Yeah doing what warthog has said will work, but I'm not gonna lie it's very tricky.
I'd buy the pipe weld as I find that so much easier to work with. it's thicker and doesn't dry in a millisecond making it easier to apply and then gives you time to get a bond.
But it's up to your preferences, warthog which glue do you use?
schueyking
#10 Posted : 14 September 2011 12:48:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I just use Super glue on everything. Can't get on with that ABSMad
The good thing too is i just use pin head size drops and because it is super glue it sets quickly and does not run all over the partsBigGrin
This is the way i rollLOL
ChrisBigGrin
massive
#11 Posted : 14 September 2011 20:25:31

Senna94 wrote:
Hi guys,
Yeah doing what warthog has said will work, but I'm not gonna lie it's very tricky.
I'd buy the pipe weld as I find that so much easier to work with. it's thicker and doesn't dry in a millisecond making it easier to apply and then gives you time to get a bond.
But it's up to your preferences, warthog which glue do you use?

iv seen a picture on here of that tube of pipe weld and i brought some from b&q the other day to see how that is. was thinking its more of a gel rather that a runny liquid. havent used it yet though. got my rear wing end plates to fix and was thinking that other abs glue was gonna be hard to use on that. will have a look at the pipe weld and see.

not keen on doing what warthog said about holding the pieces together then let the glues run in. think that might cause me problems but does make sence just not good for me. i will see anyways. thanks for the advice guys.

will leave you alone now cause this is your build diary iv tapped into, sorry. LOL
Senna94
#12 Posted : 29 September 2011 17:14:30

Just a quick update on my build so far,
Well things are all change! I've been given massive confidence by all the advice on here and on other forums as to customising my model. So thats what I'll be doing!
Just bought an airbrush to completely respray the model, ordered a couple of alclad paints to get me started and since the MP4 red came in stock at hiroboy, i've ordered that too.
Carbon decals are on they're way as well as the nose decals.

As most of you will know I'm fairly new to modelling so I've bought a few other kits to get me some practice. A recent trip to Skeggy found me coming away with a Mercedes DTM car driven by Gary Paffett. I've also bought the double pack of MP4-25's from modelzone (a steal at £25!) and a MP4/5 made by Tamiya.

I'm looking to get these done to a high standard and do build diaries for all of them, so please any advice hit me with it!

Just waiting for the right time to start, damn British weather getting all nice when it should be going downhill!!

Plus I'll be buying my first house soonish so that may put a hold on proceedings, but atleast I'll have a garage with space for a workbench!!

So watch this space!!
Senna94
#13 Posted : 24 March 2012 23:07:32

Just a quick update guys,
As many of you will know, I've just, FINALLY, moved into my new house.
I didn't see much point starting the build and potentially damaging it whilst moving, so Getting the house decored from bottom to top (Attic is my room, gaming chair on one side, modelling desk on the other, sweet eh?) and then ill be on with the model.
I've ordered the body decals from JJ off ebay, great set I must say.
Got some great ideas for the model/display, will share when I've decided.
Have been researching alot whilst I've not been building, I'll post all the points when I've got the time.
Great to read all your build diaries, its great inspiration!
Will update ASAP!

All the best