Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

IJN Akagi Official Build Diary page 6 Options
admin
#1 Posted : 25 January 2012 11:05:33

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Tomick
#2 Posted : 27 January 2012 15:28:20

Groups:

Stage 29 - Contains the stern hangar deck and a decal sheet.

Start by levelling the tops of the stern hull planking from frame 25 to 26 so that it is level with the frame tops.

Temporarily fit the stern hanger deck in place, carefully adjust any frame projections as needed.

Temporarily fit the smaller deck between the central and stern decks -Note its correct orientation by the pair of slots on the part, the smaller gap should face towards the bow, and the wider gap towards the stern.

The decal sheet contains enough decals for three of the Aichi D3A dive bomber aircraft, I plan to add the decals once all aircraft are to hand and have been painted.

That's it for this week.

Future stages:

Stage 30 - Contains the display base.

Stage 31 - Contains dowel, propellers, prop shaft castings, brass wire, aluminium strip, long & short bilge keel strips and a card template.

Stage 32 - Contains dowel, propellers, prop shaft castings, brass wire, aluminium strip, long & short bilge keel strips and a card template.
Tomick attached the following image(s):
A29-1.JPG
A29-2.JPG
A29-3.JPG
A29-4.JPG
A29-5.JPG
Tomick
#3 Posted : 03 February 2012 10:04:30

Groups:

Stage 30 - Contains the display base.

Assemble the display base as shown in the steps, then finish it in your chosen colour, be it with paint or woodstain.

I've not noticed a nameplate for Akagi as part of the kit, so I added my own.

That's it for this week

Future stages:

Stage 31 - Contains dowel, propellers, prop shaft castings, brass wire, aluminium strip, long & short bilge keel strips and a template.

Stage 32 - Contains dowel, propellers, prop shaft castings, brass wire, aluminium strip,long & short bilge keel strips and a template.
A30-1.JPG
A30-2.JPG
A30-3.JPG
A30-4.JPG
A30-5.JPG
A30-6.JPG
A30-7.JPG
A30-8.JPG
Tomick
#4 Posted : 19 February 2012 11:49:22

Groups:

Update - Awaiting prop shaft templates from parts sets 31/32.

Looking forward, my build sequence for parts sets 31-34 will deviate from the step sequence, where 31-34 will be added after stage 43 once the deck sections have been secured and full hull profiling can take place.

Be careful not to go overboard with hull profiling, taking particular notice of step 5 on page 122 and step 1 of page 125 regarding the shape at the points shown.

The first two stages of despatch 9 (parts sets 33/34 - pages 129 to 136) shows the adding of ply ammo belts (noted as protective plates). The ammo belts are best fitted before the hull is primed, though step 6 of page 122 says to prime the hull and sand back before the ammo belts are fitted, which may lead to adherence problems.

My build for parts sets 31 to 34 (pages 121 to 136) will complete the hull profiling & filling, add the props & rudders, then final sanding, filling and priming at page 136, and will be after stage 43.

In the meantime other aspects of the build will be progressed.

Tomick
#5 Posted : 23 February 2012 11:38:19

Groups:

Whilst playing catch-up with stages 31 to 34 I have jumped ahead to stage 35.

Stage 35 - Contains bow hangar parts and an 11m boat kit.

Test-fit the two internal frames onto the hangar floor, then add the centre panel, hangar top and rear panel, when happy with the fit, glue these parts together.

Cut the wood strips into 40mm long lengths, then starting at the hangar front shape and glue the strips to form the curve (you will need to chamfer and shape as shown in the steps).

Add the ply side panels noting where the indents are and cut the panels to length (both sides are different lengths), then add a short panel to complete the assembly.

Cut-away the excess panelling and strip ends, then sand the top and bottom flat, and sand the strip cladding at the front to a smooth curve.

Note that both of the short side panels have a slight instep against the main panel, which by step 14 are still visible. However, at this stage I am unsure if the insteps should be sanded flush with main panels, though in the final image on page 140 the instep appears to have vanished.
For now I will leave as is and revisit when further photos are seen and the item placed, though I suspect that the panel insteps are sanded flush.

The 11m boat kit is assembled and finished as per the previous one.

That's it for this week

Future stages:

Stage 33 - Contains armour plates x3 and a rudder.

Stage 34 - Contains armour plates x3 and a rudder

Stage 36 - Contains elevator & bow hangar parts and an 11m boat kit.

Stage 37 - Contains a platform & rangefinder castings and hangar parts.

Stage 38 - Contains ply hangar plates x7, metal hanger plates x2, 4x 25mm gun base and gun barrels.

Stage 39 - Contains hangar plates x10, hangar bars x5, wood strips, hangar floor, platform & rangefinder castings.
A35-1.JPG
A35-2.JPG
A35-3.JPG
A35-4.JPG
A35-5.JPG
A35-6.JPG
A35-7.JPG
A35-8.JPG
A35-9.JPG
A35-10.JPG
A35-11.JPG
Tomick
#6 Posted : 09 March 2012 17:33:42

Groups:

Stage 36 - Contains elevator & bow hangar parts and an 11m boat kit.

Start by marking the 80x10mm strip as shown to make the internal partitions of the bow hangar base, then glue the sections into position at the marked points upon the hangar base, making sure they are all set at 90 degrees upright.
Glue the hangar top in place and when the glue has dried, sand the end of the partitions flush with the hangar top/bottom.
Now add the thin ply to its front, gently curving it to follow the profile shape. When the glue has dried cut the excess ply so that it aligns with the ends, then sand the edges flush with the hangar top/bottom.

Place the elevator floor with the slot facing away from you, then glue the front and rear section in place, and then both sides.

Cut the 3mm and 4mm strip into 60mm long lengths, glue 4mm strip to the outer marked strips, followed by the 3mm trip inwards, repeat on the opposite elevator side. Then sand the ends of the strips flush with the top.

Remove the forward deck from the hull, then take the two hull supports and glue them into place in front of frame 13. The tops of the supports need to be flush with the central part of the frame.

The steps say to now prime the assembly from this stage, however it is better to first test-fit the elevator into position within the bow deck to check its fit, then move onto the priming of the elevator, hangar section and plate afterwards.

Finally construct and finish the 11m boat kit as before.

That's it for this week

(Completion of Stages 31 - 34 to follow)

Future stages:

Stage 38 - Contains ply hangar plates x7, metal hanger plates x2, 4x 25mm gun base and gun barrels.

Stage 39 - Contains hangar plates x10, hangar bars x5, wood strips, hangar floor, platform & rangefinder castings.
A36-1.JPG
A36-2.JPG
A36-3.JPG
A36-4.JPG
A36-5.JPG
A36-6.JPG
A36-7.JPG
A36-8.JPG
A36-9.JPG
A36-10.JPG
A36-11.JPG
A36-12.JPG
A36-13.JPG
A36-14.JPG
A36-15.JPG
A36-16.JPG
A36-17.JPG
Tomick
#7 Posted : 30 March 2012 12:03:21

Groups:

Stages 31-34 as follows:

My sequence of build for 31-34 slightly differs from the intended sequence.

I started by sanding the corners of the bow hangar blocks and aft deck plates as shown in the steps.

I then moved on to preparatory filling sanding of the entire hull in readiness to accommodate the three armour plates which are identical on each side of the hull.
The armour plates where shaped and fitted as per the steps, (careful carving needs to be performed to hull planking allow good placement of the smallest plate).

The plates were then blended to the hull profile and all of the frame mount points on the underside of the hull filled and sanded flush.

The two bilge keels were formed by laminating the strips as shown in the steps.

The bilge keels, prop shaft mounts and propellers will be added after stage 43 once the deck sections have been secured and the hull then profiled and smoothed in readiness for priming.

That's it for this week!

Future stages:

(Stages 35 & 36 have been completed)

Stage 40 - Contains elevator parts and a 25mm twin gun base and gun barrels.
A3134 -1.JPG
A3134-2.JPG
A3134-3.JPG
A3134-4.JPG
A3134-5.JPG
A3134-6.JPG
A3134-7.JPG
A3134-8x.JPG