Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Hello from the Yamato home Country Options
Yutaro HONMA
#1 Posted : 25 April 2012 13:55:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello Shipmates

My name is Yutaro HONMA. I contribute this topic from Japan that is a home country of the battle ship Yamato.

It is well known that a lot of Japanese people love the Yamato and are proud of the big and famous battle ship. However many kinds and various scales of models of the Yamato are sold in the Japanese market, 1/250 model which provided from DeAGOSTINI Japan shook Japanese modelers up because such a big scale model was rare. I guess this model is the same one that DeAGOSTINI UK provides now in UK.

I have already shared the pictures of IJN aircraft carrier Akagi model provided from DeAGOSTINI Japan in another topic of the MODELSPACE forum.. I also try sending the pictures of the Yamato model which was completed formerly so that Uk YAMATO builders might be interested in the finished model. If you could enjoy them, I'll be happy. There are 5 pictures here, and the last picture is not 1/250 model of DeAGOSTINI but 1/700 scaled model of TAMIYA.

By the way, there are lots of websites and blogs about the DeAGOSTINI Yamato model in Japan. A portal site is convenient if you want to watch them. Top page is written in English for visitors from foreign countries.

http://www.geocities.jp/...odel_guide/index_e.html

Best Regards,
Yutaro HONMA
Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
pic_1.jpg
pic_2.jpg
pic_3.jpg
pic_4.jpg
pic_5.jpg
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
Tomick
#2 Posted : 25 April 2012 14:18:55

Groups:

Excellent, thanks for sharing Cool
Yutaro HONMA
#3 Posted : 25 April 2012 15:56:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You are welcomeLaugh

Y.HONMA
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 25 April 2012 20:25:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
thanks for posting this as it will help me no end in my build
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#5 Posted : 27 April 2012 11:44:00

HiAndy
How are you today?Laugh
I also think that building the YAMATO is an endless work. As deeper researching the materials about the YAMATO, I would find newly additional parts to be attached more and more.
Mr "YAMATO-Damashii (of course it is his handle name) " who is my model-making teacher parmitted me to send some pictures of his model. He has built this model for 7 years but has not finished it.
My friends and I often ask him "What are you going to attach this model any more?" when we see his model. But he never declares that his model has reached goal.
At this moment he is thinking about what should be attached more.

Best Regards,
Y.MONMA
c58b7a19.jpg
7fc54893.jpg
653668ec.jpg
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 27 April 2012 21:00:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
im feeling very good thank you and i hope that you are too.
Your mentors Yamato is very impresive and shows years of dedication as you have said, the Yamato i am building will be based upon its configuration at the time of its final voyage to the philipines my build diary is on here under the title 'My build another sequel' any coments would be more than welcome. The only real information on the Yamato available here in english is the 'Anatomy of the ship book Yamato by Janusz Skulski' and whatever snippets of information gleaned from the web.I have decided to add the photo etch kit from gold medal to my build and have a couple of questions if you dont mind;
1; Is there a scale mast for the Yamato available in Japan
2; Was the planked area of the Yamato really painted black for its last voyage
Thank you in advance for any information you can provide
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#7 Posted : 28 April 2012 02:09:12

Hi Andy
I try answering to your questions as possible as I can.
1. 1/250 scale models are also rare in Japan, and the YAMATO model is not an exception, either. You might get some information in the website of KONISHI KK at the URL following.

http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~konishi/english.htm

As mast has simple structure, some people scratch the base by using sticks of brass and attach photo-eching parts and others. You can see the pictures of the mast on 1/10 scale model of the YAMATO at the Yamato museum in KURE-City. Please refer to URL following and click "その他" then you can find somenails of mast.

http://www.geocities.jp/...museum/yamatomuseum.htm

You can get photo-eching pattern PDF files for the parts of 1/250 mast of the YAMATO model 1/250 at the URL following.

http://www.geocities.jp/...load/yamato1-250-10.pdf

Although you might notice the problem about the 1/250 scale DeAGOSTINI model in Japan, I have to point out it here. The mast parts had severe error that the mast had one front leg and two rear legs. I think it has two front legs and one rear leg. We had to correct it by ourselves. (picture 1)

2. I am afraid that there is no answer for this question.Confused Intense discussions are continued whenever modelers get together. I am sorry but the only words I can say at this time, it is an individual's judgment which opinion is adopted . For your reference, I show you two kinds of models. (picture 2).
I think that it might not be real black but deep color even if they say the color of the plank deck was black.

Best Regards,
Y.HONMA
image004.jpg
image018.jpg
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 28 April 2012 10:26:18

BigGrin Thank you for your reply Yaturo
The mast as you have said is the wrong way round in the official build and from looking at my references ie Battleship Yamato by J Skulski and the kure museum photos i had noticed this discrepancy, i think it was designed to be built this way to make it easyer to construct as a model, but i will be doing it the correct way, thanks for confirming this.
Also the deck colour the reason i asked is more is known in Japan than here so as you say a dark colour is more likely, this i do agree with as most photographs from the period are in monocrome and not colour [i do know colour film was available at this time but it was expensive so monocrome was usally used] and a dark wood would show up as being black in some camera angles or light conditions and as very few pictures of the Yamato are available from the period this will be disscused for a long time. Again thank you for answering my questions
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#9 Posted : 28 April 2012 13:05:06

Hi Andy
You are welcome. I am glad if I could help something for you.
Each modeler might have his own world when he is building his model. Since in such a world the modeler has perfect freedom, he can make a model along with his own will. I think that is why we make models of not only war ships but also cars, planes, tanks and others. I'm very happy to be able to talk about models with other country's model builders here.
Best Regards,
Y.HONMA
harty
#10 Posted : 28 April 2012 13:10:05

Groups:

Mr Honma is a true master of the art of modelmaking. Very nice show.Love Love Love
Yutaro HONMA
#11 Posted : 28 April 2012 15:24:21

Hi Harty!

I obtain excessive praise and am thankful.
I am just a hobbyist but love ship models very much. I recommend you to visit Japanese websites about ship models. Although Japanese letters might be difficult for you to read, pictures will help you understand Japanese modeler's spirits.
To find such websites, you had better to use these following key words for google search engine.

key words : 艦船 模型

Best Regards,
Y.HONMA