Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

787 Dreamliner touches down Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 24 April 2012 09:01:31

Groups:

It may be late, but the 787 Dreamliner is set to revolutionise long-haul flying, half of the jet is made of lightweight carbon fibre composite material, meaning it uses 20% less fuel than planes of a similar size.

http://www.dailymail.co....ner-touches-UK-time.html
MWG
#2 Posted : 12 May 2012 12:17:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi MR T it is going to be an interesting time for aviation, what with the 800, and now the Dreamliner,what next?
Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Silent_Running
#3 Posted : 13 May 2012 08:26:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

I must admit I love the Dreamliner with that colour scheme, its a good looking aircraft as well as a big leap forward in aircraft manufacturing materials, what a beauty. Love

Other aircraft manufacturers are sure to follow suit and include more composite and carbon fibre in their aircraft. Although it is well known that composite materials are very strong, I wouldn't be surprised though if you found composite / titanium sandwich combinations around critical high stress areas.

Another feature that is interesting about this aircraft is the curvature of the wings designed to give the aircraft more lift. This is a feature that you see more commonly on gliders. The new fuel efficient engines will save a certain percentage of the aircraft's fuel and the lightweight materials and gliding effect of the wings will do the rest.

Boeing have come up with a winner this time, I can see this plane becoming a iconic as the 747, though only if it ends with a service record to match.

Regards
BigGrin