Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Flags for Okinawa on 6th April 1945 Options
Yutaro HONMA
#1 Posted : 29 April 2012 05:29:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I wondered when the battle ship Yamato and the last IJN fleet departed for Okinawa, how were the flags on the Yamato's mast. A fiend of mine taught me that they were "JGAA AC". as shown the attached figure. They mean the code, "I, Yamato, Departure".
They were on the portside and the nearest to the center of mast like the attached picture. The last port from where the Yamato departed on 6th April 1945 was not Kre(呉) but Tokuyama(徳山) in Yamaguchi prefecture.

Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
flag.jpg
image029.jpg
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 29 April 2012 12:52:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Thanks for the information YaturoCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#3 Posted : 05 May 2012 05:22:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi shipmates!
I took a little trip to my home town in the west area of Japan. I got on the NOZOMI superexpress and passed near TOKUYAMA port from where the battle ship YAMATO departed for her last vayage to OKINAWA on 6th April 1945 in the operation TENICHIGOU (天一号作戦) whose purpose was to attack USA fleet and rescue Okinawa even if the YAMATO and other ships might be sunken by USA fleet.
Pictures that I took from NOZOMI shows Tokyuyama port now and there are chemical industrial plant around the port. From this view point I might be able to see the YAMATO on the sea and take her pictures then and surely had to be in the prison by miritary polices.....
Best Regards,
Y.HONMA
DSC09781.JPG
DSC09782.JPG
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
Yutaro HONMA
#4 Posted : 07 August 2012 07:43:08

Hi shipmate!
I am going to write about deck color of the Yamato, here.
Talking from the conclusion, the color of the wooden deck is unknown. But I felt that the opinion that it was "black" is slightly inferior in strength. As the greatest reason, it is suspected that Battle of Okinawa(Ten 1 Gou Operation) was not a operation at night. Black deck was not useful as camouflage under the sun light. On the other hand, Sho 1 Gou Operation in the Battle of Leyte Gulf was a night operation. It was expected black deck was useful.
In the following website several opinions are compared. I have attached the conclusion table. The writer thought the color was gray that was a color of dirty wood. He attached a picture of the wooden deck of the Mikasa. Second picture is the same one.

http://www.watakan.net/y....html#uminosenki_yamato

Best Regards,
Yutaro
seo.JPG
sei.JPG
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 07 August 2012 12:09:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
Thanks again for the information,this confirms my suspicion about the Yamato deck colour for its final voyage on the 'ten 1 gou' operation.My reserch has found that as you have confirmed the previous operation 'Sho 1 gou' was a night engagment so the disguising of the deck with gray paint mixed with the soot from the funnels would have been of benefit here.After the night operation any removal of the wooden deck paint by the crew or by weathering would have rendered the deck colour a dark grey as there would have been the dyeing effect from the soot and the paint,so the only way to recover the wood deck to its original finish would have been the compleat replacment of the deck but at this time of the war resources were hard to obtain due to the usa's submarine warfare
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#6 Posted : 08 August 2012 03:02:34

Hi Andy!
You are welcome. I wonder if my article could help you.Confused
Several person have pointed out as following:
1. In a black-and-white picture, judgment of a color is difficult.
2. Wet wooden deck sometimes looks like black-painted. (War ships are often wet in the battle)Cool
I guess you have already seen my two type of the Yamato's models. I hope this picture may be a small help for you.Blushing
Best Regards,
Yutaro
2yamt.jpg
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 08 August 2012 21:28:16

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
The link to the article was most intresting and yes i agree that wet wood can look black when a photo is taken in black and white,you also have to remember that photographic film was not of the highest quality in the 1940's.
So my conclusion to the deck colour problem on the Yamato's final voyage is as follows;
(1)If you take a clean piece of wood and then cover it in a grey paint with soot mixed in,then try to remove the paint there will be a dyeing/staining effect on the wood, which i think is a dark greyish stain.
{2}The'Hinoki'cypress wood used on the deck had a natural grey tint but after the addition of the above mentioned paint mix a considerable amount of staining,especialy from the soot would have entered the grain of the wooden deck thus darkening it even further and when as you have pointed out the deck is wet then a black colour is a feasable result.
(3)I will try to reproduce a dark grey wash on the deck to reproduce this staining effect,I think several test pieces will need to be tried to get the correct amount of staining.
(4)I also need to find a way of making a good stencil of the funnel Crysanthemum crest [i currently have a 1/50 scale example].
Again many thanks for all your input Yaturo and your 2 models pictured are fine examples of the waterline series
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#8 Posted : 10 August 2012 09:44:51

Hi Andy!
I agree your opinion. Although I can not exactly point out one color, I guess that the color was inconspicuous one in the sea surface. IJN war ship color is a kind of dark gray. I heard that they had selected the color because it was inconspicuous.
Best Regards,
Yutaro
arpurchase
#9 Posted : 11 August 2012 11:56:30

BigGrin Thanks Yaturo
for your input as always
regards
AndyCool