Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Sovereign model design Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 26 August 2012 12:59:12

Groups:

Luca Lo Basso, Professor of Naval History at the University of Genoa, discusses how the model was arrived at, using fragmentary information, archival illustrations and paintings.
Sadly its in Italian, but the footage shows a great deal of what looks like a stunning model...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1HknuKP5d4
philjaps1
#2 Posted : 26 August 2012 13:51:35

Groups:

Great link Tomick,

Shes going to be a beauty.......

Cheers Phil,
stut2
#3 Posted : 26 August 2012 19:28:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thanks Mr T, I have already subscribed to this and looking very much forward to this build.
Anybody able to translate for us?
Tomick
#4 Posted : 28 August 2012 18:49:22

Groups:

A loose translation from our Italian member Drago/Maurizio

"This model is a reproduction of the model "Sovereign of the seas" made by Giovanni Santi Mazzini, one of the most important Italian naval Historian, realized by the analysis of iconographic and document sources available.
This template is used by artesania latina as a basis, as a model, as a prototype for the collection De Agostini.
Build the model of Sovereign is very complex because the sources available are few, the iconographic sources are scarce except for a few that have come out in recent years.
I refer to the framework of Greenwich Museum where you can see the richly decorated stern, and, on the right side, the imagine of her manufacturer: Peter Pett. The picture is very useful for the reconstruction of the end of the boat.
Previously has been used designs of Thomas Haywood, who had followed the ship's decorations, but that had left us a drawing that is not perfect for hull forms.
Then also a John Payne's project who is much more interesting because it was done at the time of launch of the ship and was trusted to the hull shapes but not for the mast.
There are enormous difficulties in reconstructing a vessel of this type also had a long history and has been amended on several occasions and then the ship's history is intertwined with the political history of England of XVII century.
The decorations were modified on several occasions because the ship was commissioned by King Charles I, then, during the civil war, fought on the side of Parliament the regalia were evidently removed before being put back when Charles II Stuart returned.
The decorations were very rich and had references to mythological figures, and in the stern with references to classicism and the Princely House, there is also the winged victory.
Probably there was also an inscription that referred to Charles protection , not only Charles Stuart but also to Charlemagne. Then other decorations make reference to the kingdoms of England, Scotland, Ireland which had been unified with James Stuart 1.
Very interesting is the reference to the mythological story that finds its maximum expression in the forecastle with figurehead depicting King Edgar to horse, which can be seen in such a beautiful drawing of Liedel Van De Velden the elder, an important Flemish painters expert naval decorations of the 17th century
The model of this De Agostini collection is an original made for the international market is a world premiere.”

Many thanks Drago Cool
karl1113
#5 Posted : 28 August 2012 19:36:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

a book for the purist Sovereign of the seas,the seventeenth century warship,by James Sephton. I got my copy from amazon £15.00
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
stut2
#6 Posted : 28 August 2012 19:58:13

Thanks Mr T, grazie Drago, cheers Karl, I will have a look into that
regards
Simon
magpie1832
#7 Posted : 29 August 2012 13:06:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tomick... Who is the manufacturor of this ship model... I got the first one to check it out looks awesome.....
Chris.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Tomick
#8 Posted : 29 August 2012 13:34:31

Groups:

Hi Chris, Artesania Latina., it is indeed an awesome model Cool
SandyM
#9 Posted : 15 September 2012 11:14:00

Hi Tomick,
Yes I saw the you tube presentation when I bought mag number 1 and it was nice to read the translation in this forum.
You will have seen the examples of the art work by the prof from a 4 masted round ship to a crisp drawing of the prow of the ship. The drawing of the prow I believe was done by de Velde, the elder, who is mentioned in the translation and is held in the N.M.M. We know that de Velde was comissioned as an artist by Charles 1 so I think his work is a safe bet.I have not be enable to track down that sketch yet. The sketch I put up for discussion was commissioned by Charles 2 .
Now let's turn to the model, yes it's a fine model and will be a pleasure to build but we both know there are other factors that have to be taken into consideration. Manufacturing, Saleableity and Coverage of the customer skill levels. Over all I think they have done a good job.
Many years ago in Harswinkle, Germany I saw in the foyer of a small model factory a model of the S.O.S. it was taller than me. The kit was rated as highest skill level and well over £1000, at that time, to buy but I believe it was based on the de Velde, elder and younger, drawings.
I have not seen this model or heard of the company again there for I would think that the tolerances of the last two factors were set to tight.
The prototype model in the you tube presentation looks like the gingerbread is carved I don't known if that is what is going to happen or it will be castings ether way it will be interesting.

Various balsa aircraft both rubber powered and RC
Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
Billing Dutch Royal Barge (gold medal winner Germany 1975)
Scratch built HMS Victory using HMSO plans hull size 26"
Scratch built Yamato Hull size 8'8"
De Pardo HMS Bounty

Current build Sovereign of the Seas