Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Career History link Options
philjaps1
#1 Posted : 17 August 2012 13:48:33

Groups:

I'm like a big kid at the moment can't wait for this to start......

for those of you that are interested here's a link to a site that has some good info on her career as well as some scale info....

www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Ships/War/GB/Sovereign_of_the_Seas(1637).html

Phil,
Tomick
#2 Posted : 17 August 2012 15:50:50

Groups:

You'll love this Phil, a card Sovereign done Doris style...

http://modelshipworld.co...0&finish_rel=-10000

Gaz
#3 Posted : 17 August 2012 18:09:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Have taken the plunge and subscribed. Look forward to this one after the Victory there was no finer sailing ship in my opinion
Completed models,Hachette Titanic.Deags. Hms Victory. Hachette Hems Hood.Ongoing builds. Deags Akagi,Deags Sovereign of the Seas,Deags Spitfire,On my wish list.Yamato.Royal Navy world war 2 aircraft carrier.
philjaps1
#4 Posted : 18 August 2012 00:00:04

Groups:

Tomick wrote:
You'll love this Phil, a card Sovereign done Doris style...

http://modelshipworld.co...0&finish_rel=-10000

Thanks for the link Tomick,

By far and away the best Sovereign build I've seen to date.......

Stunning absolutely stunning

Phil,
riff-raff
#5 Posted : 20 August 2012 15:41:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ohhh Finish the Victory then she's mine - all mine BigGrin BigGrin
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Built:
Golden Star, English Brig. RMS Titanic. (Academy 1/400 Centenary Anniversary Edition) Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-29 Superfortress 1:8 Baron von Richthofen's Fokker Tri-plane. HMS Victory. Nelsons Flag Ship. Sultan Arab Dhow. Artesania Latina Carmen II. The Battleship Yamato. Model Airways Wright Flyer 1:16 Scale. Trumpeter Bismarck 1/200. HMS Sovereign of the Seas. The Black Pearl.

Building:HMS Surprisel. Hatchette U96. Soleil Royal.
johnde23
#6 Posted : 20 August 2012 18:23:08

Hi, I am new to this and I am interested in purchasing a Sovereign of the Seas build kit, do you have any suggestions, positive or negative ? Thank you, John
Tomick
#7 Posted : 21 August 2012 09:51:52

Groups:

If you have never built such a complex ship model before, it might be an idea to hone a few basic ship modelling skils on a less complex kit, and in the meantime store the Sovereign to follow after.
philjaps1
#8 Posted : 21 August 2012 12:42:27

Groups:

Being fairly new to this hobby myself I would agree with Tomick. When I started the Victory I knew that I was out of my depth so I stopped building her and turned to a smaller more basic model. I chose to build the HM Pickle but there are other ideal kits on the market for a beginner to use as a base for "getting some practise in" it's well worth having a go at one of them first.

Having said that though the good thing about these partworks is that the instructions are easier to follow than in a standard kit and if you are ever in need of advise there's plently to be had on this forum.

Phil,
yamaska
#9 Posted : 31 August 2012 19:06:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI I am new to this site so still finding my way. I wondered if this 'lost' drawing by Van der Veldt might be of use to anyone.

John
MWG
#10 Posted : 31 August 2012 19:21:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi John, Thank you for your contributionBigGrin and a big Warm welcome to the MODEL SPACE FORUM, you are very welcomeBigGrin Regards MikeCool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

SandyM
#11 Posted : 15 September 2012 12:58:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks John this is the sketch that I was trying to upload but mine is in PDF mode there also a good discription that goes along with it.

Various balsa aircraft both rubber powered and RC
Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
Billing Dutch Royal Barge (gold medal winner Germany 1975)
Scratch built HMS Victory using HMSO plans hull size 26"
Scratch built Yamato Hull size 8'8"
De Pardo HMS Bounty

Current build Sovereign of the Seas
philjaps1
#12 Posted : 15 September 2012 13:18:55

Groups:

Hi,

I've sourced some fantastic pictures from a well known professional model scupture company showing there version of SOTS The pics are a good source of referance.

I can't post them on here but if anyone wants a copy just pm me

Cheers Phil
SandyM
#13 Posted : 19 September 2012 15:49:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

yamaska wrote:

HI I am new to this site so still finding my way. I wondered if this 'lost' drawing by Van der Veldt might be of use to anyone.

John

Hi John,
Here is the Catalogue Note from when the de Velde sketch was sold in 2006.
Like Mr T's post it makes interesting reading.

Catalogue Note

This wonderfully elaborate ship's portrait is of the Sovereign of the Seas, first constructed at the command of King Charles I by Peter Pett in 1637. She was rebuilt in 1659, renamed The Royal Sovereign by Charles II in 1660 and rebuilt again in 1685. In 1637 she was the largest and most elaborate English ship of her time. She had 102 guns, made from bronze rather than cast iron, on three full gun decks. The gilding and carving alone cost more than £6,600, the equivalent of the price of an entire hull of a two-decker, and the total bill came to £65,586-16-9½.
The size of the vessel was astonishing; Pepys, who took a tour of the vessel records in his diary entry of 17 January 1660/61 that "My Lady Sandwich, my Lady Jemimah, Mrs. Browne, Mrs. Grace, and Mary and the page, my lady’s servants and myself, all went into the lanthorn together".

The decoration of the ship is so elaborate that one could at first take it for a work of fantasy.
The figurehead shows King Edgar the Peaceful (c. 943-975), on horseback, trampling his rivals.
Along the prow of the ship are carvings of the various attributes of the United Kingdom, including a King Henry VII's greyhound, a fleur-de-lys relating to the Norman heritage, the griffon of Wales, the thistle and unicorn of Scotland, the Tudor rose, the English lion, and below that the harp of Ireland.
On the foredeck are caryatids -- representing Counsel, Carefulness, Industry, Strength, Valor and Victory -- who speak to each other across the gun ports, surmounted by more fleurs-de-lys.
Along the upper row of guns are Roman trophies as well as the cross of St. Andrew and towards the stern are signs of the Zodiac, and also a Phoenix flanked by the royal cypher.
Charles I had insisted that the coloring be limited to gilt and black, giving her a remarkably dramatic appearance and the Dutch, who fought against her in the Anglo-Dutch wars referred to her as the 'golden devil'.
Hidden among all this decoration are a few living beings. On the foredeck a sailor is bending over with his hand on the rail, looking out toward the viewer. Almost disappearing amidst the decoration of the elaborate quarter-gallery are two much more elegant figures standing at the rail.
At the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich there are several other drawings of The Sovereign of the Seas, the earliest of which Robinson dates to circa 1661 (Robinson 1958, no. 67). Another drawing in Rotterdam (MB 1866/T 398, Robinson & Weber, vol. I, p.120 and vol. III pl. 259), which Robinson and Weber tentatively date to 1663, is the closest to the present composition, though substantially smaller (343 by 508 mm.). It shows the ship from roughly the same angle though from a slightly lower viewpoint, and swarming with people. The present drawing is, however, the most elaborate and finished of the known drawings of The Sovereign of the Seas.
It also clearly depicts the ship before her renovation, a state in which Van de Velde, who traveled to England in 1660 at the earliest (see Robinson 1990, p. xii), could not have known her. Certainly there were depictions of the vessel that Van de Velde could have seen, most notably John Payne's engraving of 1638, which shows the ship from almost the same point of view. Payne,however, has set her on the seas, fully rigged, though somewhat fantastically, because the actual rigging had not been completed by that date.
More intriguing is why Van de Velde was making this elaborate portrait of the ship in her original form. The answer may lie in the symbolism embodied in the ship, which relates almost entirely to the power of the British sovereign. For example, King Edgar, on the figurehead, is considered the first king of all of what was then England, ruling Northumbria, Mercia and Wessex, and throughout the ship are other reminders of the King's sovereignty. When Charles I commissioned this huge and elaborate vessel she was intended as a physical demonstration of his power and reach. With the restoration of the monarchy in his own person, Charles II undoubtedly wished to reassert this image of dominance. Although the vessel had been rebuilt, it would be in keeping with the idea of the restoration of the king's power for Charles II to have commissioned a portrait of the ship as she originally looked: the largest, most elaborate and best armed ship of her time.

Various balsa aircraft both rubber powered and RC
Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
Billing Dutch Royal Barge (gold medal winner Germany 1975)
Scratch built HMS Victory using HMSO plans hull size 26"
Scratch built Yamato Hull size 8'8"
De Pardo HMS Bounty

Current build Sovereign of the Seas