#1 Posted : 02 October 2012 11:56:39

Groups:

Argos currently have a very keen price on the Airfix Avro Vulcan kit

http://www.argos.co.uk/s.../partNumber/3966907.htm

Which combined with these goodies will be a superb project

http://www.djparkins.com...2nd_post_war_RAF_RN.html
jase
#2 Posted : 10 October 2012 13:17:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

a good price indeed. and a super aircraft. I grew up near woodford where they were made and they always were present in the airshow. slow and lowd how the Agries never shot one down i will never know!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#3 Posted : 10 October 2012 14:26:59

Groups:

Indeed an awesome aircraft, and we have the only airworthy example in the world!

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/
Louie
#4 Posted : 10 October 2012 20:50:42

An amazing aircraft to watch and hear at the airshows, And the boss of the vulcan trust doctor Bob is the chairman of the gun club i'm a member of a real nice guy and lots of fun to chat to!

Louie
Pietro
#5 Posted : 10 October 2012 22:31:09

Couldn't agree more - an awe inspiring aircraft, not many things left that make you feel proud to be British! I saw her at Farnbourough air show this year, amazing sight and sound, Jase how right you are, for such a huge plane she seems to fly so slow that it seems impossible to stay in the sky! Just a shame she will only be flying for a few more years before being permanently retired so see her while you can! BigGrin
Pete
magpie1832
#6 Posted : 10 October 2012 23:48:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It flew over Woodford a couple of weeks ago after the Southport air show to mark its anniversary. Wish they had mentioned it before hand so I could have watched As I live 1 1/2 miles away for Woodford. I was there on the last Airshow it Flew at Woodford.

Chris..

On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Blackspear
#7 Posted : 11 October 2012 07:32:00

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

In the early 70's, my father was based at South Cerney in Gloucestershire. Vulcan's used to fly over daily as well as the test flights of the then prototype Concord ( the one with one of the wings that appeared to be blacked out and now resides at Duxford I believe)

Craig
jase
#8 Posted : 12 October 2012 15:50:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

magpie1832 wrote:
It flew over Woodford a couple of weeks ago after the Southport air show to mark its anniversary. Wish they had mentioned it before hand so I could have watched As I live 1 1/2 miles away for Woodford. I was there on the last Airshow it Flew at Woodford.

Chris..

I worked At Woddford for a brief time when 911 happend. there was a vulcan club restoring a Vulcan in anti-nuclear flash white i was luck to go on board tiny inside and only one ejector seat for the piolt!!
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#9 Posted : 13 October 2012 09:33:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I went inside the cockpit too dont remember much apart from the windows were so small. And u had to go up a ladder in a tiny hile to get in. I must drive by the bottom end to see if the White Vulcan is still sat there. Ive got pics of when I was 5 yrs old and the White Vulcan was sat there. That was 32 yrs ago lol. I know a few people that worked at woodford Jase. Some building the Bae 146 and some on the Nimrod until they closed :(
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

allanc62
#10 Posted : 13 October 2012 13:25:03

Groups:

An interesting point about the last flying Vulcan is that not only is she has the honour of being the first B mk2 variant to be built also she was the first B mk2(K) into service acting as a tanker and then being the last Vulcan in RAF service. Now of course she is the last airwothy example of her type.
So you could say she is the first, first, last and last
I had the pleasure of working on her before she was retired from the RAF - If pleasure could be associated with working on a VulcanConfused Confused
Plymouth57
#11 Posted : 13 October 2012 20:48:26

I've still got that kit waiting in its box from when it first came out! As everybody has said here it was an awesome aircraft especially when pulling out of a low pass with full afterburners!
I heard one story from an RAF pilot who had taken some stick from the Yanks about the Vulcan compared to their shiny new death machines, he replied that the Vulcan wasn't used as a front line bomber anymore, they were now used to fly above the Tornados to keep the rain off them!LOL
Incidentally Jase, if I've remembered it correctly, the reason why the Argies didn't shoot any Vulcans down was because they never actually flew over the Falklands within range of their AA, they released their bomb load from very high altitude while they were still miles out to sea and when those bombs finally landed on the airfield the Vulcan had already turned away and was on its way home!
Thats the way to do it!!Flapper
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
saintsman123
#12 Posted : 14 October 2012 08:53:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Plymouth57 wrote:
As everybody has said here it was an awesome aircraft especially when pulling out of a low pass with full afterburners!

it didn't have afterburners/reheat except for this

http://www.aviationarchi...1&maxp=3&pnum=0

the plane may have looked great, but was not great to work on. give me an aircraft from the jaguar onwards anyday, they may not look as good, but were easy to work on.
take the iconic f4 phantom, all those vietnam war shots, they look great. but if the radio broke, it was a 2 hour lob just to replace, as the armourours would have to take out half the ejector seat just to get accessCursing

the only good thing about the vulcan was you hide in it when it was raining.

Come on you Jimmies
Tomick
#13 Posted : 14 October 2012 10:11:38

Groups:

It looks like 2013 will be the last year to see the Vulcan in the air....time is catching up with the old girl!

"At the end of next year’s display season, six years after the return-to-flight, XH558’s current cleared flying life will have been almost completely consumed."

http://www.vulcantothesk...cial-Press-Release.html

Dontshootme
#14 Posted : 14 October 2012 10:30:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

It will be sad to see her grounded but all good things must come to an end eventually,hopefully she will be better treated in her retirement than Concorde has been until recently.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Silent_Running
#15 Posted : 14 October 2012 11:01:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Plymouth57 wrote:
I've still got that kit waiting in its box from when it first came out! As everybody has said here it was an awesome aircraft especially when pulling out of a low pass with full afterburners!
I heard one story from an RAF pilot who had taken some stick from the Yanks about the Vulcan compared to their shiny new death machines, he replied that the Vulcan wasn't used as a front line bomber anymore, they were now used to fly above the Tornados to keep the rain off them!LOL
Incidentally Jase, if I've remembered it correctly, the reason why the Argies didn't shoot any Vulcan's down was because they never actually flew over the Falklands within range of their AA, they released their bomb load from very high altitude while they were still miles out to sea and when those bombs finally landed on the airfield the Vulcan had already turned away and was on its way home!
Thats the way to do it!!Flapper

It's funny to think that the American pilots would ridicule the Vulcan considering that in design terms the Vulcan was way ahead of its time. Its all in the design gentlemen!

Look at the wing signature and you see remarkable similarities between the wing designs of the most modern stealth aircraft today. Also none of the Vulcan's contemporaries could move in the same way.

Lets compare the Vulcan to its rival the B-52, the B-52 has a massive radar signature and could not go into enemy airspace without huge top-cover fighter protection. Also the turning radius of the B-52 is very large compared with that of the Vulcan which could turn on a sixpence.

I think the MOD missed a trick here, could you imagine a modern stealth version of the Vulcan, incorporating all the best of the previous version. It would be unbeatable, able to operate at supersonic and subsonic speeds and with all the very latest technology in terms of electronic suites and weaponry. Design wise, the Vulcan bomber still looks like she could go twelve rounds even today!

Regards
BigGrin
Plymouth57
#16 Posted : 14 October 2012 13:25:42

Hi saintsman123, I bow to your superior knowledge of the old Vulc, I just assumed that the way she made all the windows and tooth fillings rattle it must have been an afterburner! I suppose any engine that can do that on full power doesn't actually need one!Blushing

Silent_Running you are absolutely right about the design of the Vulcan compared to the Yanks best, I think the main thing they didn't like about her was the lack of a label saying "Designed and Built in the Good Ol' USA"! She was years ahead of every other nation and I sometimes wonder if she was designed by aviation experts or Gerry Anderson himself!

An updated supersonic Vulcan would be a world beater but what's the chance of that with a government that takes over an entire fleet of suposedly world class Nimrod AEW's about to be test flown and then bulldozers the entire fleet into scrap to save a little (compared to the overall development cost) money?Cursing

Am I right in thinking that the Vulcan was used in the preliminary work on Concord's wing design?

Best Wishes to all

First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Tomick
#17 Posted : 16 October 2012 14:06:48

Groups:

Certainly its engines have a link to that of Concorde, the Rolls-Royce Olympus engine was the world's first two-spool axial-flow turbojet aircraft engine, and its initial use was as the powerplant of the Avro Vulcan bomber.
Warthog
#18 Posted : 16 October 2012 17:42:47

Groups: registriert, Registered

More info hear on the Vulcan being used to test the Olympus Engine for Concord

B1 Test