Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

20 Pages <1234>»
Admirals HMS Sovereign of the seas adventure Options
Tomick
#21 Posted : 14 October 2012 21:52:42

Groups:

I would steam them free and re-glue/re-set, otherwise your deck levels are going to be all over the place at these frames and also frames higher/lower on opposite sides.
karl1113
#22 Posted : 14 October 2012 23:30:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

as tomick has said you need to remove the offending ribs,also I noticed you used very small brackets,these are NOT giving the keel the support required,and it looks like you have a twist in the keel,if you used longer say 6" 'l' brackets this would keep the keel straight and upright.do check all the bracket for squareness first before fitting and check keel with a set square.this is one of the most important stage of the build,EVERYTHING must be straight and square.you can use hot water if you can't steam,but only pour on the joints DO NOT soak the whole keel or it will warp. good luck.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
court orchard
#23 Posted : 15 October 2012 00:04:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I notice also that earlier in your keel assembly you resorted to paper packing on parts 10. This should not have been necessary and indicates a problem at this stage. As Karl says the keel jig is more necessary and important than it might appear.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Admiral Anti Spiral
#24 Posted : 15 October 2012 00:15:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Tomick wrote:
I would steam them free and re-glue/re-set, otherwise your deck levels are going to be all over the place at these frames and also frames higher/lower on opposite sides.

Thanks Mr T seems like a good idea, thankfully i never glued all that you see in the picture, just the first two.
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
Admiral Anti Spiral
#25 Posted : 15 October 2012 00:17:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

karl1113 wrote:
as tomick has said you need to remove the offending ribs,also I noticed you used very small brackets,these are NOT giving the keel the support required,and it looks like you have a twist in the keel,if you used longer say 6" 'l' brackets this would keep the keel straight and upright.do check all the bracket for squareness first before fitting and check keel with a set square.this is one of the most important stage of the build,EVERYTHING must be straight and square.you can use hot water if you can't steam,but only pour on the joints DO NOT soak the whole keel or it will warp. good luck.

Thanks karl i think you have a point there on the brackets, i didn't think i'd need long brackets, i was simply thinking of keeping the boat upright :/ thought great information i'll be sure to put it to use.
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#26 Posted : 15 October 2012 00:20:14

court orchard wrote:
I notice also that earlier in your keel assembly you resorted to paper packing on parts 10. This should not have been necessary and indicates a problem at this stage. As Karl says the keel jig is more necessary and important than it might appear.

Hmmm yeah i understand, but when testing to see if it was straight or not it really was off angle, i will try to take it off though because that could be the problem to the twist in the front of the keel, im still a newbie and with this great forum and information im sure to get a hang of it soon! thanks for the help guys.
Processing - Progressing

court orchard
#27 Posted : 15 October 2012 00:33:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm sure it was off line, as you say. But this would indicate a problem with one of the parts, faulty, warped or something. It would therefore be better to find the fault and correct that rather than try and correct the effect of the fault.
Andy

Building:Samurai Armour, SOTS, Victory X-Section, Bismarck, D51
Finished:WW I Bavarian NCO, Caldercraft HM Bark Endeavour FFG 58 Samuel B Roberts,
Admiral Anti Spiral
#28 Posted : 15 October 2012 17:41:19

court orchard wrote:
I'm sure it was off line, as you say. But this would indicate a problem with one of the parts, faulty, warped or something. It would therefore be better to find the fault and correct that rather than try and correct the effect of the fault.

Ohh right i understand your point, i'll learn from my mistakes for sure lol
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#29 Posted : 15 October 2012 17:44:02

I've manages to get the front keel piece off from steaming (thank you mr T and Karl) I've noticed its bent by about 2-3mm So i've steamed it once again to get it softer(not too much) and placed it in a clamp.

Any idea how long it would be to leave it in a clamp before its straight?
Just to make sure i'll be leaving it in there until i'll have to get it back on to finish the keel.
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#30 Posted : 17 October 2012 17:33:33

Issue 7, glad i picked up this issue early to finish off the keel, two ribs still remaining.

At this point i wish i had a better camera...
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#31 Posted : 17 October 2012 17:36:26

Started off with the keel.

Glued in place with normal wood glue and some clamps.

Keel was slightly bend but with help i managed to straighten it up a bit, its not perfect, but its much better.

Im convinced the keel is straight but i dont think the ribs are perfectly matched.
Maybe when the decks come in it will straighten it out a bit.
Looking forward to issue 8 when we finally get to build something whole!
Processing - Progressing

karl1113
#32 Posted : 17 October 2012 17:47:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

take a look at my sots build it explains how I keep everything straight.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Admiral Anti Spiral
#33 Posted : 18 October 2012 00:25:03

karl1113 wrote:
take a look at my sots build it explains how I keep everything straight.

Thanks karl, i pretty much did the same steps, it all seems good enough.
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#34 Posted : 22 October 2012 16:45:59

Just thought i'd add that ive tapered the ends of the support for the end of the keel, when it comes to planking im guessing its going to need to be smooth.

Thats all until wednesday :)
Processing - Progressing

MWG
#35 Posted : 22 October 2012 18:10:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi AAS, tell me to mind my own businessBlushingif I am speaking out of turn, I prefer to fair the Hull in one go it is easier to get the correct angle on the Ribs particularly the stern keel, and since you told me you are applying Balsa infills.please wait untill you have fitted the last 2 ribs.

At this stage we do not know if there is something more to fit on the stern keel.

You are doing a good jobBigGrin nice and clean and precise. Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Admiral Anti Spiral
#36 Posted : 22 October 2012 19:11:54

MWG wrote:
Hi AAS, tell me to mind my own businessBlushingif I am speaking out of turn, I prefer to fair the Hull in one go it is easier to get the correct angle on the Ribs particularly the stern keel, and since you told me you are applying Balsa infills.please wait untill you have fitted the last 2 ribs.

At this stage we do not know if there is something more to fit on the stern keel.

You are doing a good jobBigGrin nice and clean and precise. Kind regards Mike

Hi MWG, its no problem, a little outside help or comment is always useful. Im not completely sure on balsa, only about 70%, but if i can buy it im sure i will, i understand your point and i'll take it into full consideration, if theres any problems i'll be sure to fix it :)
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#37 Posted : 24 October 2012 20:00:40

once again i apologies for the bad quality pictures, i have nothing better at the moment, but alas issue 8.

I didn't realize the parts would be so thin.

Instead of using the thicker wood supplied i used some spare cut wood from previous frames.

also the wood was a bit warped and bent but not badly everything is fine.

This might be all, i might go ahead and finish it and plank it, not sure why it doesn't carry on in the magazineConfused
Thanks for viewing :)
Processing - Progressing

MWG
#38 Posted : 24 October 2012 20:42:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi AAS good jobBigGrin Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Admiral Anti Spiral
#39 Posted : 26 October 2012 16:39:46

MWG wrote:
Hi AAS good jobBigGrin Regards Mike

Many thanks Mike Smile
Processing - Progressing

Admiral Anti Spiral
#40 Posted : 03 November 2012 01:09:56

Issue 9, last two ribs to fit

I liked these pieces, very tight fits compared to the other rib parts, barely any place for the glue.

with these parts in place i realise these no chance of making the deck for the tiller and rubber parts, thought im sure i will be pleased.

This is all, i may update on the ships launch soon.
Processing - Progressing