Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages «<23456>»
The Military Quiz Options
Dontshootme
#61 Posted : 24 November 2012 08:54:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Sorry Dennisimo,good effort though.
East Indiaman is not actually the name of a ship but refers to a ship owned by the East India company.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
denissimo
#62 Posted : 24 November 2012 10:50:07

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sorry, it was Admiral Rainier
Model boats built so far:-

Billings Cutty Sark
Scratch built twin IC RC Vosper MTB.
Scratch built rc electric hybrid.
Scratch built rc IC hydrofoil (ran happily on snow as well as water!)
Plus numerous numerous RC planes.

Under construction
Sovereign of the Seas!
1200:1 HMS Victory (by Mantua)
The Battleship Yamato (seriously considering building as an RC model)

Dontshootme
#63 Posted : 24 November 2012 21:01:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sorry, incorrect.
As a a helping hand the ship I am referring to is still very much afloat.
Plymouth57
#64 Posted : 25 November 2012 20:46:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'll have a go, I've got two possible answers both called Hindostan! If the first is wrong I'll wait a bit then try the secondBlink

Possibility 1:

Was she previously a minesweeper HMS Cromer M103 which was transferred to RN College Dartmouth as a static training ship and renamed the Hindostan in 2002?

The other answer is even weirder!
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Dontshootme
#65 Posted : 26 November 2012 08:44:03

Correct...sorry it was a bit "OUT THERE"Blink as questions go....but it made people thinkConfused LOL LOL LOL LOL
Plymouth57
#66 Posted : 26 November 2012 15:45:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Rob, that took a lot of searching. During that search I came across this, the answer to which was going to be my second guess. (Compare this question with the preceding one!BigGrin )

She was ONCE a part of the Royal Navy but had NO HMS, and she was ONCE called Hindostan too!
WHAT was she, WHAT is her current designation and WHERE is she now?
And for extra brownie points but not required for a correct answer, what is her connection with the previous solution?Confused

Confusing isn't it!!Flapper
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Dontshootme
#67 Posted : 26 November 2012 20:35:53

I will stay out of this one as I know 2 possible answersBlink
Plymouth57
#68 Posted : 28 November 2012 17:10:41

Yes, sorry about that question! I only came across the answer myself whilst trying to solve Dontshootme's previous one, I must admit though that this quiz is a great way of sharpening up our research tecniques for the future! So here's the answer..

The vessel in question is now called "The Cafe on the Barge" and she can be found tied up on the river Torridge in north Devon. Previous to this she was a Royal Naval Auxilliary Barge, also described as a seaplane tender and it was in this guise that she was moored in the river Dart, belonging to the Dartmouth Royal Navy College when she was called the HindostanBigGrin

That was her connection to the previous question, there is a tradition at the Naval College that every tethered training vessel used there is called the Hindostan, thats why the minesweeper that took the tender's place also took her name as will whatever vessel supercedes the minesweeper in the future (an Invincible class aircraft carrier would be nice if it'll fit!)

If you would like to see how the barge looked before her conversion to a floating restaurant look at www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1521971 (and I STILL think she's the result of uncontrolled breeding between the Torpoint Ferries!!LOL (was that your answer Dont?)

This question is much easier and no exotic ships are involved!

About three years ago I became the very proud owner of a Rifle No.1 Mk111, better known as the Short, Magazine, Lee Enfield. She was made in 1914 and had seen action right through both world wars and beyond. During her 80+ years of service she had worn out almost all the moving parts which had been replaced with later variants and I have spent the last three years e-baying original parts to rebuild her back to that 1914 configuration. Below is a photo of the nose cap which was on her at the time of purchase, this has been replaced with a correct one.
The question is why did I have to replace this piece?
(Hint..something's missing!)

Best of luck to allBigGrin

Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Quiz Pic 2 jpeg.JPG
Dontshootme
#69 Posted : 28 November 2012 19:38:53

It wouldn't happen to be the piling swivel mounts would it?
Plymouth57
#70 Posted : 28 November 2012 19:44:43

Aw Rats!BigGrin

Over to you again!

(For those who might be wondering what we're talking about, if you look at the photo you'll see a large square-ish piece sticking out below the nose cap, that's the bayonet lug for securing the big pointy thing on the front. Directly behind that is a slight depression where the securing bolt screws into the woodwork of the front stock. Behind that there is nothing! There should be a rounded piece of metal almost as big as the bayonet lug with a threaded hole through it to take the piling swivel, this is very similar to the standard rifle sling swivel but has a gap of about 1/2" in the middle, almost a 'C' shape. It's sometimes (wrongly) called a 'stacking swivel' and was there to allow several lee enfields to be secured in a circular group, usually around a tent pole! This feature was deleted after WW1 so my 1914 rifle was refitted around that time with new parts - damn their eyes!)Flapper
Dontshootme
#71 Posted : 29 November 2012 09:54:14

There were 2 major naval battles in the North Sea during WW1.Where & when?
SennaMentalMe
#72 Posted : 29 November 2012 11:18:20

Groups:

The Battle of Heligoland Bight on 28th August 1914 in the North Sea off Heligoland Bight, Germany.

.... and ....

The Battle of Jutland fought on May 31st and 1st June 1916 in the North Sea off Jutland, Denmark.

Kev BigGrin
Dontshootme
#73 Posted : 29 November 2012 15:51:06

Well,I rather shamefacedly give you that one as I forgot the 2 battles At Heligoland Bight Blushing the ones I was thinking of were Jutland & Dogger Bank,but you are correct...sorry Mr Mckenzie..just found the 10 pages of A4 you dictated about HeligolandBlushing
Well done Kev ..over to you
SennaMentalMe
#74 Posted : 29 November 2012 17:20:22

Groups:

Thanks Rob, if it makes you feel better I will be honest and say that the 'Battle of Dogger Bank' was also in my list of possible answers!! BigGrin

Right, time for a change now - we've had too many Naval questions recently and this is a 'General' Military Quiz after all?!

A three part question:

1. How many men set out on the famous 'Dambusters' Raid of World War II?

2. How many returned?

3. How many failed to survive until the end of the Second World War?

Kev BigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#75 Posted : 01 December 2012 12:33:50

Groups:

Any guesses??

Kev Huh Bored Confused
Dontshootme
#76 Posted : 01 December 2012 17:44:29

133 men in 19 Lancaster bombers set out.
77 men returned
29 of the survivors failed see the end of the war
At the start of 2012 there were still 3 men left alive

Brave men one & all
SennaMentalMe
#77 Posted : 02 December 2012 10:04:20

Groups:

Nearly there Rob, 133 set out and 77 did return but the last figure is incorrect. According to my source and others it was not 29 who failed to survive the war.

So no coconut yet I'm afraid and yes, VERY brave men indeed!!

Kev BigGrin
denissimo
#78 Posted : 02 December 2012 10:40:16

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

133 set out and 77 did return
48 survived the war

Billings Cutty Sark

Under construction
Sovereign of the Seas!

SennaMentalMe
#79 Posted : 02 December 2012 20:07:26

Groups:

denissimo wrote:
133 set out and 77 did return
48 survived the war

Sorry denissimo, if you take your '48 survived the war' figure away from the 77 who returned from the raid, then you still get 29 - the same as Robs' answer, which was incorrect. Crying

I actually asked how many DIDN'T survive the war not how many did, but I get your point!! BigGrin

Kev BigGrin
denissimo
#80 Posted : 02 December 2012 20:38:04

Hey Kev, there are 2 websites that both say 48 of the 133 men survived the war, which gives you the answer of 29 as Rob first said!
http://www.telegraph.co....sh-Dambusters-dies.html

http://dambustersblog.co...tise-complete-crew-list/

Billings Cutty Sark

Under construction
Sovereign of the Seas!