Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages «<34567>»
The Military Quiz Options
SennaMentalMe
#81 Posted : 02 December 2012 22:13:42

Groups:

Hello denissimo,

I feel I should explain something here as there seems to be a little confusion over what is the correct answer. Firstly, I was very careful about how I worded my question, as I knew this might arise.

I asked how many aircrew left to go on the raid - Rob and yourself are both correct in that 133 left (aboard 19 Lancs as Rob rightly said).

I then asked how many returned, again Rob and yourself are both correct in saying 77 returned.

I then asked how many did not survive to see the end of the Second World War to which you have both said 29, which is incorrect.

The reason it is incorrect is because you are both calculating your answers by taking the number who survived the War (which is not what I asked) away from the number who actually returned from the raid but you are both missing something!!

Not all of the crew who didn't return from the raid actually died on the raid and therein lies the clue when I asked how many didn't survive the war!! If I say any more then I will give the answer away and I feel I have just made it a heck of a lot easier anyway!! It just needs more investigating and you will then see that the answer that you give of 29 is in fact ... wrong?

Hope that helps??

Kev BigGrin
Dontshootme
#82 Posted : 03 December 2012 08:59:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Doh!I knew when I posted 29 that it was wrong,you are correct I did get 29 by subtracting 1 from the other,what I hadn't allowed for is that of the 56 who didn't return 53 were killed in action but 3 were captured,so allowing for this the correct number to survive the war must be 32.My original 29 plus the 3 P.O.W's
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Tomick
#83 Posted : 03 December 2012 10:05:51

Groups:

133 men took part in the Dams Raid (19 crews each of 7 men).

Eight crews were lost (53 killed and 3 taken prisoner.
80 men survived the raid. Of these, 22 were killed serving in 617 Squadron later in the war and 10 more were killed while serving with other squadrons.
Only 48 men who took part in the raid survived the war.

Therefore...

53 initially killed
22 killed in 617 sqdn
10 in other squadrons

= 85 failed to survive the war?
SennaMentalMe
#84 Posted : 03 December 2012 10:29:04

Groups:

Tomick wrote:
133 men took part in the Dams Raid (19 crews each of 7 men).

Eight crews were lost (53 killed and 3 taken prisoner.
80 men survived the raid. Of these, 22 were killed serving in 617 Squadron later in the war and 10 more were killed while serving with other squadrons.
Only 48 men who took part in the raid survived the war.

Therefore...

53 initially killed
22 killed in 617 sqdn
10 in other squadrons

= 85 failed to survive the war?

Correct Tom!!!BigGrin Unlucky Rob!! Crying

It was a bit of a trick question really!!

We know that 77 men DID return from the raid (initially) but of the 56 who didn't get home, 3 were taken prisoner and were alive, so have to be counted as survivors OF THE RAID even though they didn't make it home with the other 77 making a total of 80 survivors out of the 133 who went on the raid. We know that 48 survived the war so take that away from 80 survivors and you get 32 of the 80 survivors who didn't see out the war, .... BUT .... I asked how many didn't SURVIVE THE WAR (of the 133 that were on the raid) and since the 53 guys who died on the raid also didn't survive until the end of the war, then they have to be included as NON SURVIVORS!! 53 plus 32 equals 85 - well done Tom!!

As I said it was a bit of a trick question - sorry guys!! BigGrin Flapper

The saddest thing about the non survivors is that the last one of them to die before Wars' end was Guy Gibson himself who died in September 1944!! So sad to be so close to making it and such brave guys all of them!! Crying Crying

Your question Tom??

Kev BigGrin
Tomick
#85 Posted : 03 December 2012 10:59:03

Groups:

I always wanted to win a coconut LOL

Okay here we go...

"Ton up" Lanc's are those aircraft which carried out 100 or more sorties.

Q1 - How many confirmed "Ton-up" Lanc's are there?

Q2 - Which Lanc (by code name and number) is the most famous/well known of the "ton ups", although it does not have the highest sortie number?

Q3 - How many Lancasters were built, how many were lost on operations and how many were destroyed or written-off in crashes'?

karl1113
#86 Posted : 03 December 2012 11:03:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I reckon whoever answers those questions deserves a military cross Confused Confused Confused
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Tomick
#87 Posted : 03 December 2012 14:37:24

Groups:

Q2 is easy Karl, how many famous Lanc's do you know of?
Dontshootme
#88 Posted : 03 December 2012 19:01:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

There are now 35 "ton-up"Lancasters confirmed.
The most famous is 'Queenie' (W5868), the only one still in existence and which can be seen in the Bomber Command Hall at the RAF Museum, Hendon.
7,377 Lancasters were built between 1941 and early 1946. Of these, some 3,500 were lost on operations and another 200 or so were destroyed or written off in crashes
Tomick
#89 Posted : 03 December 2012 22:13:42

Groups:

Spot on Rob ThumpUp

Over to you...
Dontshootme
#90 Posted : 04 December 2012 10:27:16

OK...heres a bit of old history.
There were many causes of the Sepoy Rebellion in India but there was one final thing in August 1856 that caused a mutiny amongst the Indian troops.
What occurred in 1856?
What was it used for?(Make & model required)
How was the mutiny settled?
Good luck!
Plymouth57
#91 Posted : 04 December 2012 13:13:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'll have a shot at this but I'm not sure about the last part!

The mutiny was finally triggered by the introduction of the Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifled Musket in 1856 with its attendant paper cartridges which by some lack of understanding were protected from the damp by a layer of lard grease, the lard being made from both pig and cow fat which both the Hindu and Muslim religions regarded as either sacred or unclean!
As the troops were trained to bite open the cartridge to load the enfield this meant defileing themselves which they refused to do triggering the mutiny.
The mutiny was settled either by the fall of the Fortress of Gwalior, this being the final stand of the mutinying (is that a word?) sepoys or by the replacement of the lard grease with an alternative vegetable fat which both religions would find acceptable.

In fact some of the regiments mutinied even after they were given non-greased cartridges or even allowed to make their own so there were many more 'political' causes bubbling up at the same time!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
SennaMentalMe
#92 Posted : 04 December 2012 16:44:31

Groups:

Now that is a VERY interesting piece!! Cool

By the way Robin, I believe your wording - "this being the final stand of the mutinying" - should be - "this being the final stand of the mutineers".

Well ... you did ask if it was a word!! BigGrin

Kev BigGrin
Plymouth57
#93 Posted : 04 December 2012 18:13:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Damn! I KNEW there was a better, more grammatically correct way to put it! (I was just a couple of hours from my drill and fill at the dentist though, nerves!!)Blushing

Er, was it correct?Confused
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Dontshootme
#94 Posted : 04 December 2012 21:02:41

Correct
I thought that one might cause a few issues but maybe next time!muahahaa!!!
Plymouth57
#95 Posted : 04 December 2012 23:27:25

OK then.
This question is based on a conversation that I had with a person who had just moved back to the UK after living for many years in the country the answer comes from (so I obviously can't mention it here!!Flapper )

I already knew of the subject of the answer but he gave me some info I didn't know about, I have checked on the net and there appears to be enough evidence to confirm the story so here goes...

Throughout all the UK there is only one recorded instance of a dog being officially buried in a HUMAN cemetery (there may well be many unofficial ones but this one was regarded as the only legal burial)
This dog was a hero of one particular battle involving British troops and may well have played a deciding role in it according to the survivors of the battle at the time.

Doesn't matter where he's buried, can you tell me what he was called and the name of the battle?

This is a little difficult to those with no interest in this period, so I'll just say "Pot that fellow somebody!"

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Ger C
#96 Posted : 05 December 2012 00:51:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Was his name pip and he was present at the battle of Rourke's Drift?
Ger C
#97 Posted : 05 December 2012 01:07:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I have also found an alternative name of Dick,

it seems that there is no consensus on the dogs name but each sound similarCrying

Ger C
#98 Posted : 05 December 2012 01:18:03

It seems that the forum changes the short version of Richard to dancer,

probably blocks certain wordsConfused
Plymouth57
#99 Posted : 05 December 2012 11:15:49

Well done indeed Ger C! (you were up late last night!)BigGrin

It is "Pip" the Welsh Terrier who was present at the Battle of Rorkes Drift in Natal (now South Africa) in 1879.
Pip or similar sounding names actually belonged to another British Officer, (again there are different names put forward) the best 'guess' appears to be Charlie Pope who marched into Zululand with the centre column under Lord Chelmsford. According to both British and Zulu witnesses, Charles Pope died a heroes' death at Isandlwana leading his men in hand to hand fighting to the very end.
Pip was left at Rorkes Drift under the care of Surgeon Reynolds and proved his worth during the night time attacks by the Zulus. The Zulus went bare foot from the time of Shakazulu the founder of the Zulu army and they could move silently under cover of darkness, silently that is except for a pair of Welsh Terrier ears! During the night Pip was found to be running around the legs of the defenders behind the barricades remaining silent until he would suddenly face a specific direction and begin barking. After a couple of attacks the soldiers realised that he was hearing the approach of the Zulus and so the British were able to move men around the perimeter to face the next assault. Without Pip's warnings the Zulus might well have been able to overwhelm the barricade and get behind the defenders.
After the war Surgeon Reynolds, now devoted to the little dog, returned to Britain and Pip became the 'superstar' of his day, accompanying Reynolds around the country to lectures about the battle.
The final ending is a little unclear, when Pip died he was either given a military funeral and his own grave, or by some coincidence he and Reynolds died within days of each other (this is quite possible, some well loved pets do 'pine away' and die soon after their owners) and in this case he was buried with Surgeon Reynolds in a single grave.

Sorry for the essay but I love this story!Blushing

Over to you Ger C
Ger C
#100 Posted : 05 December 2012 20:26:17

Thanks Plymouth57,

I have a question but will have to do some research to make sure that the answer is readily available on line as most users will not be very familiar with Irish history, so will post in the next hour or so