Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Can anyone identify this make of car? Options
Plymouth57
#1 Posted : 13 December 2012 22:09:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi All!

The car in the photo below was once a Plymouth taxicab and was bought by one Ellis Daw in the early '50's and converted into the stock car seen here. Ellis went on to race it in the World Stock Car Championships at Belle Vue Stadium in the late 1950's coming 4th.
All I know is that it was a ford and the vehicle was built in 1936-7. The original 4 cylinder engine was replaced with a ford V8 by Ellis for his racing career.
Also, if anybody can identify the model, does any company make a model of it? I would like to try and make a replica of 'Old P32' if I can.

Many thanks

Robin
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
P32.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
SennaMentalMe
#2 Posted : 13 December 2012 22:24:02

Groups:

Hello Robin,

Looks a bit like a 1950's Ford Popular to me but you say it was built in the '30s??

Very similar bodywork around the windshield and side windows to the Ford Pop in the photo below which is a 1956 model??:

http://en.wikipedia.org/....popular.arp.600pix.jpg

Kev BigGrin

Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 13 December 2012 22:31:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for that Kev, I'm pretty sure Ellis said it was a '30's taxi but I'll double check with him tomorrow. It does look very similar bodywise, except for the flat radiator on the stockcar, then again maybe the rad was another 'upgrade'!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
SennaMentalMe
#4 Posted : 14 December 2012 00:00:06

Groups:

Hello Robin,

I don't think it is a case of the rad being an upgrade, I think it just a radiator WITHOUT the radiator shroud in front of it?? Just compared the bonnet between the two photos and even that looks similar in the way that it narrows and the curved edge becomes steeper towards the front?? If it wasn't a Ford Pop then I'd hazard a guess and say it was a forerunner to the Pop??

Kev BigGrin
catman275
#5 Posted : 14 December 2012 01:13:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I was going to say it was a sit up and beg Ford, but that would be too late.(1950s)
completed..... Endeavour Longboat, San Francisco 2, Virginia 1819

building Royal Caroline

Tomick
#6 Posted : 14 December 2012 09:15:09

Groups:

Could it be a US import?
Todayshorse
#7 Posted : 14 December 2012 10:49:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Could it be a Ford CX?

jonny7england
#8 Posted : 14 December 2012 11:11:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I would have thought a 1949 Ford V8 Pilot, methinks?? Blink
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Plymouth57
#9 Posted : 14 December 2012 17:19:42

Sincere thanks to all the above for their very useful suggestions. After going through them with Ellis, one website led to another and eventually something clicked and "That's the one!" was exclaimed, (far too close to my ear I might add!)Mad

The result is that the 'Old Faithful' P32 was a 1936 Ford Model 62, 22hp V8. As I said she was an ex-taxi cab, but I was wrong about her being a lowly four cylinder. She was a V8 but Ellis went to a local scrap yard (in the city centre as it was then!) and salvaged a 30hp V12, this may have been replaced later with an ex yankee 32hp V12 but we're not exactly sure about that.

So many thanks again to all concerned, now just got to see if any model company ever produced a replica of the thing!

Best Wishes

Robin
BigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#10 Posted : 14 December 2012 18:39:07

Groups:

No worries Robin, glad that you solved the riddle in the end and that we were able to help along the way!!BigGrin Cool

Kev BigGrin