Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Plymouth57's 1/700 Ship Collection (Now 35 years old!!) Options
Plymouth57
#1 Posted : 02 December 2012 17:19:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

My own beginnings into ship building began almost 40 years ago (I can hardly believe that myself!Blushing )
It began with the good old Airfix kits and later progressed into a brand new range by the Matchbox company who, it must be said, soon acquired a reputation for bringing out pretty good models of unusual subjects, ie, not just another so and so which many other firms had already produced. These in turn led on to the excellent Tamiya vessels which are still regarded by many as the standard by which others are judged.
Most of the kits in this collection (all 1/700 scale) were built by myself about 35 years ago and have fortunately been kept in a glass fronted display cupboard and so survived intact (unlike the poor Airfix Wasa and Victory which were lost in action during a particulary savage parental spring cleaning assault!)Crying

The thing which still amazes me is that I made these up long before I needed glasses as I do now and they were all painted using Humbrol enamels and the MkI eyeball with no magnifying glasses at all. Sob! those were the days!

The bases are simply balsa wood frames filled in with Polyfilla, moulded around the ship hull (before it was painted) and once dry painted with enamels. The balsa was finished off with a gloss varnish and the name plates were plasticard with letraset rub down letters.
The only scratch built additions were the aerial 'rigging' made from the kits own plastic sprue heated over a candle and stretched into thin filaments. This was long before etched brass enhancements were even thought up!BigGrin

Here's the first, this is the HMS Ariadne, an Abdiel Class Minelayer as she appeared in 1944. This is one of the first of the Matchbox kits to come on the market all those years ago.
I'll gradually add more ships to this gallery, (about seven or eight I think) and I hope you will enjoy this 'Blast from the Past!'. Just remember, I was much younger when these came off the slips!!LOL

Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Abdiel Class Minesweeper 1 pic.JPG
Abdiel Class Minesweeper 2 pic.JPG
Abdiel Class Minesweeper 3 pic.JPG
Abdiel Class Minesweeper 5 pic.JPG
Abdiel Class Minesweeper 4 pic.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 02 December 2012 19:13:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice work and a good way of exhibiting the finished model,as for the eyes i know exactly what you meen long gone are the days where i cuold see every apendage and hair on a fleaLOL Crying
regards
Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

SennaMentalMe
#3 Posted : 02 December 2012 20:00:07

Groups:

Very nice work Robin and considering that it is 40 years old, I'd say you did a damn good job of it especially with only being able to use the basic kits and tools that were available back then!! Love the way that you even attempted to portray the rust on the ship - great stuff. Thanks for sharing!!

Kev BigGrin
jase
#4 Posted : 02 December 2012 22:36:12

They have certainly aged well my first ships were airfix when i was 7 or 8 BigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Plymouth57
#5 Posted : 04 December 2012 20:17:41

Thanks for the comments guys. Hey Jase, I've been through the old Airfix ships too, unfortunately they were before I progressed to displaying my finished efforts, (I can still see some of them up in my attic though!)Blink

I've just found this great website at www.matchboxkits.org ,go to this site and click on the ships section and you can get a preview of some of the models I'll be putting on here.

I was going to post the next one tonight but the photos are all 'yellowy' under the lighting conditions so I'll re-take them tomorrow under daylight.

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Plymouth57
#6 Posted : 05 December 2012 13:02:05

Right! these look a little better,the flash went off on the first one but I've included it with the others as it really shows some differences between the two exposures.

This is another Matchbox kit, the next series up from Ariadne (size only) and is the HMS Tiger. Originally built for WW2 as one of the last 'big gun cruisers' she was radically redesigned from the midships back and converted into a helicopter cruiser for the cold war era. This model portrays her just after the refit hence no rust!
(The Matchbox moulding has been bought up by Revell and is currently on re-release after all these years!BigGrin)

Hope you enjoy her and see you later.
Tiger 1 700 pic1.JPG
Tiger 1 700 pic2.JPG
Tiger 1 700 3 pic.JPG
Tiger 1 700 4 pic.JPG
Plymouth57
#7 Posted : 31 December 2012 21:44:51

Sorry for the long delay in continuing my gallery, the 'Ol Vic' has been taking up most of my time over Christmas!

This is the third of my 1/700 collection and is the first non Matchbox kit. This is the Imperial Japanese Tenryu Class Light Cruiser the "Kuma" of 1940 and was produced by the leader of the 1/700 brigade, Tamiya.
This was a lovely little kit with many small and detailed bits and pieces including a beautiful little spotter plane to which I added a tiny propeller (today I'd probably try and put struts and rigging on the damned thing as well!BigGrin )
As with the previous ships, Kuma was also fitted out with stretched sprue aerials and rigging. The really helpful thing with the Tamiya kits is their use of a thin waterline base which can be painted separately before glueing to the bottom (no masking tape required!)

I'll try not to take so long with the next one!Blushing

Best Wishes and Happy New Year to you all!Cool

Robin
Kuma pic 1jpg.JPG
Kuma pic 2jpg.JPG
Kuma pic 3jpg.JPG
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 01 January 2013 01:16:44

BigGrin nice work on her and the rigging certainly sets her off
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .