Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages «<1213141516>»
The Military Quiz Options
budgie
#261 Posted : 05 January 2013 15:14:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Ted Briggs, died at the age of 85 October 2008
The last survivor of the Hood sunk by the Bismarck in the Atlantic in 1941.

On 25 October 2008, members of the H.M.S. Hood Association gathered at the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas in Staffordshire for the dedication of the first ever memorial to the 1,415 officers and men who died on board
Dontshootme
#262 Posted : 05 January 2013 20:13:49

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sorry budgie but no piece of cuttlefish for you today.
I did say unusual & believe me it IS unusual.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Plymouth57
#263 Posted : 06 January 2013 00:03:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Was it the completion of a 20ft model of the Hood in 2008 by Ed Diment built out of about 100,000 lego-type plastic bricks?Confused

Robin

First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Dontshootme
#264 Posted : 06 January 2013 09:35:09

Crikey!...was he mad?
Sorry wrong answer,didn't even know about that one!
Plymouth57
#265 Posted : 06 January 2013 15:56:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The answer to your above question is 'Very Probably!!'BigGrin
But have a look on www.brothers-brick.com/2...12/hms-hood-is-finished/ and you'll see what a fantastic madness it was! (And I didn't know anything about it either!)

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Dontshootme
#266 Posted : 06 January 2013 17:01:45

Wow!Blink
Dontshootme
#267 Posted : 07 January 2013 18:15:51

A little clue

This question could just as easily been posted in the aviation quiz.
Dontshootme
#268 Posted : 09 January 2013 11:56:56

No more attempts at the answer guys?I will leave it up for another 24 hrs & then give you the answer & set another question.
Todayshorse
#269 Posted : 09 January 2013 19:58:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well i cant find anything - but as you mention aviation, was somthing taken into space? Somthing like that?
Plymouth57
#270 Posted : 09 January 2013 21:55:55

In 2008 a commemorative HMS Hood blazer badge was flown into space aboard the space shuttle on mission STS-124.

(If this is correct please let Todayshorse get the next question, I couldn't find anything on the net until after his 'in to space' suggestion, so he really got it first!)Cool

Robin
Dontshootme
#271 Posted : 10 January 2013 10:39:46

That is correct,didn't think it would be so difficult to answer tbh.
Mr Horse at Robin's request...take it away!
Todayshorse
#272 Posted : 10 January 2013 11:50:47

Are you sure? i didnt really give a detailed answer!!
Plymouth57
#273 Posted : 10 January 2013 17:45:13

It's only fair T, I was getting nowhere in my searches until you mentioned space and that was the essential part of the answer!
(Just make it an easy one!BigGrin )

Best of Luck
Robin
Ger C
#274 Posted : 10 January 2013 20:06:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Great sportsmanship robin
Plymouth57
#275 Posted : 10 January 2013 21:03:36

Blushing
Todayshorse
#276 Posted : 10 January 2013 23:18:50

Ok, thankyou Cool

Try this one for size....

What am i?

I was built in 1951, in Britain, but i then went to Australia. Later, i was parked up, engine running and full of ammunition, and subjected to something quite severe. However, although my engine stopped and several things were blown off me, i was driven away after it was ascertained that my engine had stopped due to running out of fuel. If there had been anyone in me, they would have been killed.

Later i found myself in south east asia. Here i was hit by an RPG but still i remained in service.

Im now in a museum. Im the only one of any of me to survive what i did and then subsequently go into battle.

BigGrin
Plymouth57
#277 Posted : 18 January 2013 21:28:32

After much searching! ....
A British Centurion Mk3 battle tank was sent to Australia to become part of the Australian Army and was subsequently picked to be a test subject in a low yield atomic blast test.
The tank was positioned (under its own power) just 500 yards from the blast and survived surprisingly intact (minus its side skirts which ended up 200 yards away!) After testing for contamination the tank was returned to active service, the only atomic test vehicle known to have done so and served for over two decades taking part in heavy fighting in the Vietnam war where it was struck by a RPG but survived as battle worthy!
A tough old so and so!Cool

Robin
Todayshorse
#278 Posted : 18 January 2013 23:30:35

Correct!
Plymouth57
#279 Posted : 20 January 2013 13:46:27

Ok! try this one.BigGrin

In 1917 a combined British, Australian and New Zealand army under General Allenby attempted to breech the Turkish/German/Austrian defensive lines in Palestine by taking the most easterly post on the line.
The Turks believed that this route was too difficult to attack due to the lack of water and indeed two frontal attacks by British Infantry regiments were beaten off in a battle lasting most of the day.
With only an hour of daylight remaining one of the accompanying Brigades was given the order to attack. Within half an hour they had taken the Turkish trenches, captured much of the artillery and captured the all important wells.
1) What was the name of the outpost.
2) Which Brigade made the attack, and,
3) What unusual tactic did they use to defeat the Turks?

Best of Luck!

Robin
SennaMentalMe
#280 Posted : 23 January 2013 18:44:33

Groups:

If my research is correct, the outpost was at 'Beersheba', it was the 'Australian 4th Light Horse Brigade' that made the attack and the (very brave) tactic used was to make an audacious charge straight across 4 miles of open ground in front of the defending Ottomans which took them by such surprise that they failed to adjust the sights on their rifles, causing them to miss the charging Aussies by firing too high. Result - very light casualties for the Aussies and defeat for the Ottomans!!

Kev BigGrin