Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

27 Pages «<1314151617>»
The Military Quiz Options
Plymouth57
#281 Posted : 23 January 2013 19:02:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Dead Right!
The problem the Turks had was two fold, firstly the Australian Light Horse were not actually cavalry, they were Mounted Infantry and secondly the Turkish soldiers were led by German Officers who knew that the Aussis were not cavalry!
Mounted Infantry rode to the battlefield but then dismounted and fought on foot. The German Officers instructed the artillery not to fire until the enemy dismounted, unfortunately they never did stop to dismount and charged straight at the Turkish positions drawing their P1907 sword bayonets to use as short swords. By the time the Turks realised the Aussis weren't going to stop they only got a few shrapnel shells off before the 4th were 'under the guns'. As you rightly said, the Turkish infantry were also terrified by the speed of the charge, many of them forgot to alter their rifle sights from the initial 1400 metres and most of their bullets went harmlessly over the Aussis heads.
All this can be seen in a great Aussi film called "The Lighthorsemen"

Well done Kev!

Over to you

Robin
(I feel another diorama coming on!)
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
SennaMentalMe
#282 Posted : 23 January 2013 23:51:06

Groups:

Thanks Robin. ThumpUp

An interesting question now and one which also has links to the Turkish Ottomans (and my birthplace!!):

A very famous person who was synonymous with the desert and greatly involved in the wresting of the Middle East from the Turkish Ottomans during the First World War, then went on to have a brief career in the RAF. Because of his preceding reputation, he had joined the RAF under an alias and lied about his age. However, his true identity was soon rumbled and he left the RAF. He then enlisted under another alias, as a private in the Tank Corps and trained at Bovington Camp. After meeting then 'Secretary of State for Air' Hugh Trenchard - who had always known his true identity - he was invited to re-join the RAF (whilst still using his second alias) which he did, initially as an 'Aircraftman Second Class' though he subsequently trained at Cranwell Cadet College. Having been famous for fighting in the desert he then, paradoxically, went on to become a very important member of a team who were developing a military craft that was to be used on water, later developments of which would come to be greatly appreciated by airmen who were 'shot down in the drink' during World War II, though he never lived to see the final developments. During this period he reverted to using his well known and most famous identity since it had by then become very obvious who he really was!!

1. What was this persons' famous identity during the First World War desert campaign?

2. What were the two alias names that he used during his first short career in the RAF and then the Tank Corps during the inter-war years?

3. What was the type of craft that was eventually developed from his work and for which he was pivotal in helping to develop during the inter-war years??

4. On which famous stretch of British waters did his trials and development work take place? (Which was also my birthplace - well a town next to it, not the watery bit!! LOL!!)

Good luck!! Blink BigGrin

Kev BigGrin
Dontshootme
#283 Posted : 24 January 2013 19:09:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Everyone should have got this bit at least!
The person you are looking for is of course LAWRENCE OF ARABIA or in English T E Lawrence(Thomas Edward Lawrence)
He first tried enlisting in the RAF as an aircraftsman in 1922,using the name John Hume Ross.Interestingly the RAF recruiting officer who interviewed him was W. E. Johns,who later gained fame as the author of the Biggles series of books.He turned down the application believing that it was a false name but was forced into accepting it,however only months later in early 1923 Lawrence was exposed & forced out of the RAF.
He changed his name to T E SHAW and joined the Royal Tank Corps in 1923. He was unhappy there and repeatedly petitioned to rejoin the RAF, which finally readmitted him in August 1925.
He helped develop the RAF rescue launches which rescued so many downed airmen in the channel & North sea,this came about after witnessing a seaplane crash & the time it took for a tender to reach it.This eventually led to the development of the 200-Class Seaplane Tender & later the MK1 Seaplane tender.
All the trials & development were carried out on the Solent & Southhampton water.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Nemesis
#284 Posted : 24 January 2013 19:14:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I got the first bit, but very well done on the rest!!!!!BigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#285 Posted : 24 January 2013 20:47:10

Groups:

Perfect answer in every respect Rob, spot on and well done!! ThumpUp

My source of reference for that question was a book that I own and can thoroughly recommend as a stonking good read, namely:

'The RAF Air Sea Rescue Service 1918-1986' by Jon Sutherland & Diane Canwell.

I was born in Hythe, Hampshire, which is right beside Southampton Water and is mentioned many times in the book with regards to T.E.Lawrence and his development work there and quite amazing to think that I have most likely walked in the very same places as someone like Lawrence of Arabia!!

It is also quite amazing and very humbling to think that within a small radius of the place where I was born, the Titanic departed on its' tragic voyage, the first flight of the Spitfire took place, the Schneider Trophy races were won outright for Britain, Empire flying boats took off from the water for far off lands, Folland built their famous little 'Gnat' aircraft as used by the first Red Arrows team, all of the great liners like QM1, QE2, QM2, Canberra and many others have come and gone, Sir Christopher Cockerell built and developed his hovercraft there, many troops left for the Falklands on ships like the Sir Galahad (which tragically never returned) and many other great things from history took place in and around my birthplace!! Makes me very proud to be from that part of the world!! Cool Cool

Sorry, I digress!! Well done again Rob - your go mate?

Kev BigGrin
Dontshootme
#286 Posted : 25 January 2013 21:27:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I thought it was familiar when I read your question Kev,I recently borrowed the book from the library

Heres one to get the old research juices flowing!
I was born in 1938 in Glasgow like so many of my kind.
I was one of 38 that were attacked by an Admiral
I was left for dead,but 16 of my comrades found me still burning 24 hours later but decided I was too dangerous to rejoin because I was burning,they did rejoin next day however & put out my flames,gave me steam heat & direction control.After 7 days & refusing help my friends got me to the Clyde.Uniquely because my friends had refused help they were awarded a lot of money.I was repaired but killed 2 years later.
There was a film made of my story in 1943 starring Walter Fitzgerald, Mervyn Johns, Ralph Michael, and Robert Beatty,which is one of only a few films that showed the role of my friends & others like me during the war.
What am I?
Who am I?
What was the name of the film made about me?
budgie
#287 Posted : 25 January 2013 21:59:20

BigGrin Hi Rob
The film was called "San Demetrio London"
The ship in question was a tanker called the MV San Demetrio which was part of a convoy spotted by the Admiral Scheer during the Battle of the Atlantic
The San Demetrio met her final end at he hands of U404
Dontshootme
#288 Posted : 26 January 2013 09:40:17

Blink Blink There was me thinking that this would have been a stinker to work out!!Congratulations & over to you.
budgie
#289 Posted : 26 January 2013 10:31:55

BigGrin Cheers Rob i enjoyed the film so stuck in my mind

Cool Who am i???? and what was my occupation

Born 1658 and passed away in 1757
A remarkable enough achievement reaching the age of 99 in those times

I had links with the Admiralty and played a major part in increasing the
number of ships in the Navy to thwart any French invasion that was expected at this time

Made all the more remarkable due to my gender

Doing a search of my name in Wikipedia brings up zero resultsBigGrin
budgie
#290 Posted : 27 January 2013 11:18:26

budgie wrote:
BigGrin Cheers Rob i enjoyed the film so stuck in my mind

Cool Who am i???? and what was my occupation

Born 1658 and passed away in 1757
A remarkable enough achievement reaching the age of 99 in those times

I had links with the Admiralty and played a major part in increasing the
number of ships in the Navy to thwart any French invasion that was expected at this time

Made all the more remarkable due to my gender

Doing a search of my name in Wikipedia brings up zero resultsBigGrin

Self educated farmers daughter
I married William who was commissioned to build ships but he died before completion of the 1st two Devonshire and Winchester
The Admiralty allowed me to carry on
karl1113
#291 Posted : 27 January 2013 11:54:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

rebecca wyatt, was my name mother of john, wife of william.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
budgie
#292 Posted : 27 January 2013 12:26:49

BigGrin Close enough Karl Anne Wyatt was the name i had in mind
"Warships for the King" is a book about the building of the seven ships
and her involvement at the Wyatt yards in Bursledon on the River Hamble

Over to u
karl1113
#293 Posted : 27 January 2013 12:57:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I can't give too many clues for this one,as I think it is very easy anyway.
who am I?
I am a maritime artist,
the royal navy museum in portsmouth has some of my paintings.
and I love painting for patrick o'brians books.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

Nemesis
#294 Posted : 27 January 2013 13:30:04

Geoff Hunt
karl1113
#295 Posted : 27 January 2013 14:36:27

correct.

Nemesis
#296 Posted : 27 January 2013 18:39:58

Ok a Military Aircraft question for you. As you know the Dams Raid Lancaster's were modified to carry the Upkeep bomb. But one of the modified planes had an experimental modification that none of the others had. Three parts to the question,
1. What was the mod and where was it?
2. Which Lancaster had it?
3. Where did it crash?
Nemesis
#297 Posted : 04 February 2013 12:38:59

Nemesis wrote:
Ok a Military Aircraft question for you. As you know the Dams Raid Lancaster's were modified to carry the Upkeep bomb. But one of the modified planes had an experimental modification that none of the others had. Three parts to the question,
1. What was the mod and where was it?
2. Which Lancaster had it?
3. Where did it crash?

Do we give up on this one???BigGrin
Plymouth57
#298 Posted : 04 February 2013 20:10:04

Nope! No joy on this one.Crying

I would have thought it might have been an early version of the H2S ground radar but the only thing I could find was that one aircraft carried a new TR1142 radio that allowed a full verbal commentary of the attack to be radio'd back to base in real-time. No mention of which aircraft carried it though!
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Nemesis
#299 Posted : 04 February 2013 20:33:05

The modification was a .303 machine gun mounted in the floor just behind the bomb bay.
The Lancaster was AJ-T ED825
Shot Down – SOE Target 9/10 December 1943, Crashed Rouens, France
SennaMentalMe
#300 Posted : 15 February 2013 18:32:01

Groups:

Would you like to set another question Daran, as you had us all stumped with your last one, or should I throw it open to anyone who wants to have a go?

Kev BigGrin