Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tool & Jig of the day! Options
Zeptrader
#1 Posted : 10 April 2010 18:00:45

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

At last I can begin where I left off, but as I was working I came up with a few new tools and jigs that could be worth hanging onto for the Victory build.

The Tool -
Simple razor blade and a cork, this helps cutting very small bits of wood, just use a saw (I have a razor saw) to cut the cork and slip the blade in, please be careful.
I holds well in the hand and not bulky or too small, just right.

The Jig -
This was made from a scrap of wood with holes drilled to take the ends of small alligator clips, stick them in, then add the wooden pegs, this holds the Yards nice and tight, hands free work.

..and finaly sanding sticks, the picture tells all really, various different grit levels, stuck on with wood glue and and hole drilled to hook 'em up.

Its good to get back into this.
See my post in the diaries sections for other pictures of my yard work today.
Tarbrush
#2 Posted : 10 April 2010 18:29:41

Groups: Registered

Hi Zep, how do you hold planking for tapering, and what do you do it with?ConfusedI'm having problems with tools following the grain and splitting across the plank.Cursing If I do it with the grain at one end I screw up at the other.CryingI've tried knife, David's plane, and sandpaper seems to be the only way, but it's slow and not very accurate. I'm thinking of clamping several planks that require the same taper, between steel rulers and sanding down to the ruler edge. Would be interested in your technique.LOL
Zeptrader
#3 Posted : 10 April 2010 18:34:48

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

I think you may of hit it with your last sentence

Quote:
I'm thinking of clamping several planks that require the same taper, between steel rulers and sanding down to the ruler edge

Do as you said, clamp a few of them but make a JIG! (again) out of wood, make it solid, with the planks to be tapered, add more battoning either side and hold that form with some clamps.

See a version here, just make it out of wood.

http://modelshipworld.co...B2/viewtopic.php?t=9691

http://modelshipworld.co...50c98d2df3411eb04bb3bda

either sand or chisel, I'd prefer to sand.
Capt Stedders
#4 Posted : 10 April 2010 20:05:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Great stuff; Resourceful AND cheap. Way to go! ThumpUp

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Tarbrush
#5 Posted : 11 April 2010 00:09:18

Thanks Zep. The first jig looks like some serious engineering.Drool Nice but a project in it's self. Perhaps when I eventually afford that milling machine. Cool
The second one was exactly how I was thinking, but with a little more sophistication in the name of accuracy and ease of adjustment.BigGrin I'll keep you posted when I get back from the drawing office.LOL
Boaz
#6 Posted : 11 April 2010 15:26:10

Nice one zep.
Top info as usual.
BobThumpUp
jonny5j
#7 Posted : 11 April 2010 20:08:12

Nice handy tips
cheers
john
HMS VICTORY
HMS SURPRISE
ASTON DB5
MCLAREN MP4-23
willie
#8 Posted : 12 May 2010 18:56:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

Tarbrush wrote:
Hi Zep, how do you hold planking for tapering, and what do you do it with?ConfusedI'm having problems with tools following the grain and splitting across the plank.Cursing If I do it with the grain at one end I screw up at the other.CryingI've tried knife, David's plane, and sandpaper seems to be the only way, but it's slow and not very accurate. I'm thinking of clamping several planks that require the same taper, between steel rulers and sanding down to the ruler edge. Would be interested in your technique.LOL

i use the David's but in a different way i hold the plane in the left hand upside down the plank in the right with my fore finger on top of the plank and draw the plank across the plane keeping the plane steady do not need to press hard just enouth to keep the plank on the bottom surface off the plane also set blade for best cut
Tarbrush
#9 Posted : 17 May 2010 18:26:06

Hi Willie. Sounds a bit dodgy, a bit like a chef's mandolin.LOL How often do you taper a finger?LOL My latest efforts with a good sharp modelling knife has worked wellBigGrin
willie
#10 Posted : 17 May 2010 18:58:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service Medal

Tarbrush wrote:
Hi Willie. Sounds a bit dodgy, a bit like a chef's mandolin.LOL How often do you taper a finger?LOL My latest efforts with a good sharp modelling knife has worked wellBigGrin

never cut my self yet have done when the knifes slip keep the blade low so you dont take off to much and when you draw back your finger is behinde the blade
ps if you cut your finger you have taken to much wood offFlapper
Tarbrush
#11 Posted : 17 May 2010 19:27:26

willie wrote:

ps if you cut your finger you have taken to much wood offFlapper

Blushing LOL