Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Just a Few of my Built-Ups Options
j999dbp
#1 Posted : 22 February 2013 19:15:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi All,

Time to come clean - I've been lurking arond the forum for a few months now, but haven't posted much due to me not being too active in car modelling right now ( mainly due to work, playing in a band, and the Hachette HMS Hood!), but in the past I have been a reasonably proficient car modeller.. these are all 1/12th scale.

All mine, with the exception of the Lotus 49 you see in the background of one of the pics.

Some you may recognise as Tamiya, some may be a surprise - anyone care to guess?

I like to build slightly different things..

DBPBigGrin
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0495.jpg (1,210kb) downloaded 96 time(s).
IMG_0498.jpg (1,516kb) downloaded 75 time(s).
IMG_0499.jpg (1,393kb) downloaded 66 time(s).
IMG_0500.jpg (1,637kb) downloaded 75 time(s).
schueyking
#2 Posted : 22 February 2013 20:01:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Some mighty fine builds there mate!
Nice and clean too! Good work!

ChrisBigGrin
Nemesis
#3 Posted : 22 February 2013 21:25:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some stunning builds!! Very impressed!!!!Drool BigGrin
Diddy1_98
#4 Posted : 22 February 2013 22:27:59

ThumpUp

Really nice builds.

Dave
j999dbp
#5 Posted : 22 February 2013 22:55:19

Cheers Guys!

The Hood's in a bit of a lull whilst they finish off giving us the bits for the hull - working with planks and glue is a little different! - so I'm quite tempted to start the big MP4/4. I have up to part 19 so far, but wanted to wait for my next delivery so I can start and finish some sections totally. That's the worst thing about partworks - the less than logical build sequence.

Diddy - Southampton - so am I! Whereabouts?

DBPBigGrin
SennaMentalMe
#6 Posted : 23 February 2013 09:27:35

Groups:

Hello Dan,

Some excellent builds there my friend, stunning work and love 'em all!! Drool

Is the Ferrari in the first couple of pics a Protar kit, it looks a nice model? Quite a few Tamiya 1:12 models in there and I may be wrong but is the Schumacher Ferrari that terrible Revell kit? If it is you've done a cracking job to get it looking like that, well done!! Where did you get the large scale 'Sharknose' Ferrari from?

You should post more often, I like what you do and maybe put some pics of your builds in the 'Finished Gallery' as well for all to see?

Top stuff, looking forward to seeing more!! ThumpUp

P.S. - I am from Southampton as well!! Well born in Hythe, Hampshire to be more precise, I've lived in East Sussex for about 25 years now, but Southampton was my stomping ground when I was younger. Used to go to Southampton Technical College back in the late '70s over at St.Mary's, came across the water on the old Hythe ferry every day when the ticket office was just a little blue wooden hut and they still had the draughty old open decked ferry, not the glass bubble they have now!! Most of my family still live in or around the Shirley/Millbrook area of Southampton, though one still lives in Hythe.

I do miss the old town quite a lot sometimes and would like to move back but my wife and kids are all Sussex stock so I'm kinda stuck really!! Ooooh, talking about it takes me back to when I used to go into 'Beatties' model shop near the Bargate (I think it was East Street?) and buy the Tamiya 1:12 F1 cars when they first came out in the '70s/'80s. Had them all, every single one, but all gone now. Would like to get the 'Martini' Brabham BT44 again and maybe the Tyrrell P34 'Six-Wheeler', they've both been re-released now, so I think I might treat myself sometime soon?

Kev BigGrin
j999dbp
#7 Posted : 23 February 2013 11:43:38

Hey Kev!

Actually, I was teasing a bit.

All the unusual ones are either Protar metal, or MG Model Plus multimedia kits.

Th first one is a 1/12th Ferrari 156/85 by MG Model Plus. This was released as a limited run of 156 in 2008. Construction is resin for chassis etc, white metal for suspension, engine, brass and steel etch for detailis and wing end plates. A bit like Model Factory Hiro stuff, but you do have to do a lot more work to make a showable model. I was doing a blog on this on the MG Model Plus website, but the company has stopped doing these now due to the recession, so it never reachd the end - but the model did!

The Sharknose is the MG kit, and was in issue 139 (May 2007) of Tamiya Magazine. Again a bit of a challenge!

The Ferrari is actually not the F2002, but the F1-2000. This was my first 12th scale resin/white metal, and the whole saga of the build is still available on www.modelersite.com. I agree BTW that the Revell F2002 is rubbish - although if you strip the tatty paint with brake fluid, and start again, there's a half decent kit in there.

Lurking somewhere are also the Protar Fiat Mefistofeles and the 806/406 racer - both late 70's metal bodies kits which were a real joy to build.

like you I did all the Tamiya ones as a kid - although I bought mine from Heywoods in Halifax - but Beatties, I have very fond memories of Beatties Southampton (I moved there in 84). You're right, it was on East St. until they went to the wall and Toymaster took over. It's now a Spar Crying

I remember taking my lovely wifey in there, she was bored, and decided to leave the shop. On the way she completely knocked over a huge pile of 12th scale Wolf kits, must have been about 20 of them - she still gets teased whenever there's an advert that mentions "knock-down prices"!

Maybe I'll dig out some more of my pics then...BigGrin

DBP
SennaMentalMe
#8 Posted : 23 February 2013 12:07:33

Groups:

Hello Dan,

Interesting stuff re those models my friend, must have cost a packet, but lovely models and I particularly like the 'Sharknose' Ferrari, just beautiful and the best looking '60s F1 car IMHO and just beats the Lotus 25 for looks. Saw the replica of Wolfgang von Trips' car that Chris Rea had made for his tribute film - 'La Passione' - when it was down at the Goodwood Festival of Speed some years ago, I think it was John Surtees who took it up the hill though I may be wrong.

Shame to hear that Beatties went under that was my 'Kid in a Sweetshop' place when I was younger!!

You really should show more of your work on here, it will be very much appreciated by all - especially the MP4/2c which is stunning!!??

All the best,

Kev BigGrin
Diddy1_98
#9 Posted : 23 February 2013 13:30:00

I'm in Midanbury.

I've only lived in Soton for about 4 years, but have worked/studied here for 19 years! (Didn't realise it was that long Blink). I moved to Ringwood in 94 to attend college in Soton from Cheltenham.

Dave
Warthog
#10 Posted : 23 February 2013 16:26:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Some lovely work you have there DBP Cool