Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Started! Options
Captain David
#1 Posted : 07 March 2013 18:44:20

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

[img][]Well, I have started!

First off, I have to admit I haven't yet made a jig/drydock. I still might make one later. The bow has been traced onto a piece of 4mm ply just in case.

I notice that Tomick's official build doesn't use a shaped bow support anyway, just the supplied bow stand (pieces C1/C2).

The first 2 pieces of keel are a straight as a die when glued together with the bracing pieces. Just a slight warp of about 1mm, right at the tip of the bow, which the jig wouldn't correct anyway. I will sort this later, when the bowsprit is added.

Rib 6 had a slight warp too. About 1mm diagonally across the main piece. Not enough to send the part back but I made another problem by sanding too much out of the slots of the joint to the keel.

The problem was using a loose sheet of fine sandpaper. I was very gentle but I have rounded out the slots very slightly, so there was a slight wobble in the fit - which was tight as could be before I sanded. 45p at Tesco got me a pack of 10 fine emery boards; £1 at the local Asian hardware shop gave me a set of 6 needle files of different shapes. Controlled sanding is the way to go!

Correcting the wobble-fit and warp was done by packing the assembly. I knew that rib 7 was a perfectly square and tight fit - I had dry-fitted it when joining the keel pieces and clamping the bracing pieces to butt against it. Now that 7 is glued in, I dry-fitted 6 and used a vernier to measure the correct centre distance between them at 52mm. Packing was done with a piece of foam insulation slab (49mm) and two slips of cardboard from a wine-box, the same both sides. Anything would do really, so long as it is exactly the same on both sides and really tight.

I will keep the rib packed out until the lower deck is glued and pinned in place.

No work on the cannons except making one carriage. I will wait until more metalwork arrives before deciding on paints. Loooks like that will be when the ship's launch equipment arrives: anchor, bucket and oars.

Still not decided about balsa infills. The ship will be double-planked, so there is an opportunity for fairing up between the two layers. If I find I need more glueing area for the planking, I might add 10mm blocks of balsa either side of the ribs. This would also strengthen the rib joints.

That's it for now. I wonder when the next bits will arrive? Customer Service "despatch dates" seem to be 2 weeks before the parts arrive. I guess that is the date they give the order to their distribution contractor, not when it is actually sent. Royal Mail doesn't take 2 weeks to deliver!

I still have to work out how to attach photos!
Captain David attached the following image(s):
004 crop.jpg
005 crop.jpg
Captain David
#2 Posted : 07 March 2013 18:46:17

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Worked it out!! You have to do it after posting the message Cool
Tomick
#3 Posted : 07 March 2013 19:03:00

Groups:

Congrat's on your diary build medal and well done! Cool
Captain David
#4 Posted : 07 March 2013 19:08:29

Oooh! Thank you.BigGrin
jase
#5 Posted : 07 March 2013 19:18:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Loverly detailed diary entry will be following your progress

JCool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 07 March 2013 19:19:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Cap`n David,
Couple of things you might find helpful, first is the jig, if you go for the jig as per the mag instructions, you will get a better profile for the bow keel section with the second keel section attached. If you look at your pic of the centre keel, the back end is off the board you are using for a base, better result if you use the two keel pieces together and line up the bottom of the keel to the bottom of the ply and then mark the bow shape prior to cutting.
As for posting pics There are several methods used by people in the forum, I use photobucket.com,there are many other options and you will find the best for yourself, but you can type some text then click on the insert picture icon at the top, put the cursor back in the middle of the inserted text from that and paste in place ,then carry on with your text and insert pics as and when you want.

Hope this helps, you are in the best place for help and advise as you will find out as your build progresses.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Captain David
#7 Posted : 07 March 2013 19:34:42

Thanks Delboy.
I just plonked it down on a spare bit of worktop to take the photos. Until the rest of the keel and the ribs are added, it is a bit front-heavy. If I fit the support piece, this does the opposite, raising the front of the keel about 2mm off the board.
I can only think that they made the support this way, so that the keel lays flat on the bench after planking is added to the base of the hull.
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 07 March 2013 20:04:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Captain David wrote:
Thanks Delboy.
I just plonked it down on a spare bit of worktop to take the photos. Until the rest of the keel and the ribs are added, it is a bit front-heavy. If I fit the support piece, this does the opposite, raising the front of the keel about 2mm off the board.
I can only think that they made the support this way, so that the keel lays flat on the bench after planking is added to the base of the hull.

Captain,
Understand what your saying, wishing you well with your ongoing build and don`t forget you are in the best place for help and advise. Look in on other builds as well, they can be a wealth of knowledge and access to other places of interest.

Good luck and keep it going,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Captain David
#9 Posted : 07 March 2013 20:09:23

Delboy, just looked at yours, mate. Looks good. I love seeing everyone's work before I have to do mine BigGrin
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 07 March 2013 20:27:24

Captain David wrote:
Delboy, just looked at yours, mate. Looks good. I love seeing everyone's work before I have to do mine BigGrin

Capt`n,
Thanks for the nice comments, if I may, take a look at Gandale`s, MWG`s and of course the official build by MrT. If you are new to this sort of model building(like myself)then I would stick to the official build for the main, but you can obviously make any cosmetic changes you wish without any adverse ongoing problems to the main build.
Keep it and the pic`s coming, good luck.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Captain David
#11 Posted : 07 March 2013 20:33:02

There is a lot to look at. Still not finished Gandale's. Getting through them all though!
Captain David
#12 Posted : 07 March 2013 20:56:36

Ooops! I didn't mean to start a new topic with this, just add to my earlier Build Diary.
Is there any way I can combine them?
Mo
#13 Posted : 07 March 2013 21:53:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome Aboard, look forward to your progress.

Mo. 🍷.
Mo
Gandale
#14 Posted : 07 March 2013 22:03:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome aboard the best forum on the web Captain, hope you enjoy your build.... Nice start you have made and very nice detail on your diary.... Will be dropping in from time to time to see your progress and of course don't forget, if you are unsure of anything then simply ask.... the answers are all in this forum.....

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#15 Posted : 07 March 2013 22:12:08

BigGrin Welcome to the forum nicely detailed start to your diary
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .