Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
launch Options
Tiswas
#21 Posted : 17 May 2010 17:32:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the interior of the launch was painted in Olive Green? trying to remember where I saw it.
TIS
Mike Turpin
#22 Posted : 17 May 2010 17:49:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Hi Tiswas

Could it be a reference to an Admiral's barge as these were often painted out in more 'showy' colours?

Talking of launches, I found this video this afternoon: The Blue Launch

Also
Blue Launch at Portsmouth
Capt Stedders
#23 Posted : 17 May 2010 17:56:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Cheers Mike, - Phew, that video brought me out in a sweat just watching it... Huzzah for chuffin' great combustion engines eh!

*retires for a lie-down*

@ Tiswas; As mike says, and I also 'think' that it was the Admirals barge that had the olive green interior (I may have got that from the official Victory colour guide, but I'm not entirely sure...).

First time I've ever heard of Olive green being described as showy though.. Laugh

Mmm Yellow + Black = olive*.. lovely.

*amounts of each vary according to pigmentation of paint
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Mike Turpin
#24 Posted : 17 May 2010 18:08:10

Capt Stedders wrote:

First time I've ever heard of Olive green being described as showy though.. Laugh

Compared with yellow ochre and black, I reckon it's showy!
Huh
Mike T
jase
#25 Posted : 18 May 2010 22:51:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

mike thanks for the lead on the electric plank bender. I have decided to see what the mag says and see how i get on with the launch if i struggle i my invest for doing old vis hull

cheers matey
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Mike Turpin
#26 Posted : 19 May 2010 23:24:51

A quick update on plank bending. I decided that I really ought to start on my launch and see how much I can remember about decent planking.

The first bit of good news is that the planking on the launch is so thin you don't need fancy electric benders or even soldering irons! If you try to bend the bow end of the plank round when dry, there is a good risk it will crease and tear the wood fibres, however, I have found that by simply dipping the plank in some cold water, you can run it through your thumb and forefinger and gently bend it right round to the required shape.

I have found that the edges of the ribs do not line up sufficiently well, particularly on the starboard side of the launch and I have had to do a lot of filing before fixing the sheer strake (That's the first one at the bottom on the upside down boat.) I am aiming to make sure that each rib is in contact with the strake without having to push the strake towards the rib. This would create a inwards dent in the otherwise smooth lines of the hull which I want to achieve.

I'm keeping the sides of the sheer strake parallel and full width as supplied. When you but up the centre of the next plank and bend it towards the bows, the touching edge tries to ride over the fixed plank's edge, so my next task is to shape this edge so that the plank starts wide around the centre of the launch and narrows towards the bow and stern. I will put some pictures up when I can get around to it, in my Leeds Victory build in the members area.

Although I'm painting the launch I want to try to perfect my technique on small bits of bendy plank before tackling the big one eventually!

Mike T
Capt Stedders
#27 Posted : 20 May 2010 01:06:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Mike Turpin wrote:
A quick update on plank bending. I decided that I really ought to start on my launch and see how much I can remember about decent planking.

I have found that the edges of the ribs do not line up sufficiently well, particularly on the starboard side of the launch
and I have had to do a lot of filing before fixing the sheer strake (That's the first one at the bottom on the upside down boat.) I am aiming to make sure that each rib is in contact with the strake without having to push the strake towards the rib. This would create a inwards dent in the otherwise smooth lines of the hull which I want to achieve.

I'm relieved that it wasn't just me that had a problem with the formers. Cool

Having said that, I am following the Official build diary very closely and Tomick (who is a professional modelmaker and blatantly quite handy at this planking lark) managed to make a cracking job of things with the supplied parts - so I put my errors down to being a tad over-enthusiastic (not fully considering potential pitfalls)and not the kit itself.

As I point out in my build diary, my only criticism is that the magazine instructions / official build diary do not highlight certain areas that could do with a little more in the way of advice or warnings. There are many people building this model who have only had experience with injection moulded plastic kits and may be unprepared for the fact that even laser cut, wooden parts seem to require a little bit more care in lining-up and prepping than may be expected.

What seems relatively simple and straightforward instruction-wise (glue part 'a' to part 'b') doesn't take into account the behaviour of wooden parts and the surprises that they may have in store for the unwary...

I am pretty sure that this kit is of a good quality and that I just need to get my head around the potential hiccups before things become a bit easier. If anything, I am am enjoying this build far more than any plastic or metal model that I have built precisely because of the challenges it presents.

Tools.

Tiswas
#28 Posted : 20 May 2010 17:30:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Although I am nowhere near starting my build yet, I have been reading all build topics with interest. This one seems to be engaging members more than most and it is great that there is so much wisdom and advice to hand, although i must agree with Capt. Stedders, a little bit more by way of explanation in meeting/getting over any pitfalls would be helpful. With that in mind I fully intend to dry fit all parts before applying any glue and hopefully not make too many mistakes.
I too have found the official colour guide to which Mike mentioned, I knew I had seen Olive Green mentioned somewhere.
TIS
Mike Turpin
#29 Posted : 21 May 2010 09:10:05

Reading this and other posts, people want more information about planking. My view is that nothing beats hands-on experience but we all have the internet to help gather ideas as well as reading the various books which deal with the subject.

I am still taking my time and looking for time in which to tackle my launch however, this morning whilst looking for Google images I came across Launch Build

OK, so it is a much larger scale model which is described but there are some good pictures and advice on planking. He doesn't claim to be an expert but has described the steps pretty well.

If interested, you can get the kit from Cornwall Models Launch kit

Mike T

karl1113
#30 Posted : 21 May 2010 10:51:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

please note this is for the more experienced builder,though the newbees are welcome to read and digest,why are everybody so nervous?when I saw the official build launch being made ,I thought the planking was way out of scale,and many of you agreed,so I decided to scale down the planks, by cutting them in half down the length,the plank is very supple,far more so then the main planking.as it turned out I think it was easier to plank this way,I just used a pair of scissors to cut the planks,knowing I had spares.I think the makers of kit presumed you would be painting it so no matter what size planks as long as they would go round the formers.and tomick was right,electric bender is sooooooo easy,you can see the outcome on my victory build
alright it is not perfect,but ok for me,and don't forget this is the largest boat out of five that victory has,if you look at the plan i put up from anatomy of nelsons ships, it show the planking only three or four,but anything helps.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
willz
#31 Posted : 22 May 2010 01:21:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

i`ve never done any planking before, never built a wooden model before but i am always of the mind of how hard can it be, i`ve been reading like you budgie, their gonna start theirs soon, gonna start theirs when time allows, i just didn`t wait to see anybody else`s planking i just did it, and to be honest with patents it was much easier than i anticipated but it is only the launch.

so i understand what you mean budgie everyone saying oh its the planking next, need a plank bender, must read up on plank bending, oh not the planking etc etc,,
it kind of puts doubt in your mind, but just go for it and take your time. i mean you can always get another issue if it all goes wrong. my glass is always half full.
willz
Tomick
#32 Posted : 22 May 2010 14:26:00

Groups:

Good to see you've up and running, and a good effort for a first time attempt, though try not to press too hard between the frames which will avoid the plank dip from frame to frame.
Capt Stedders
#33 Posted : 22 May 2010 17:48:44

Tomick wrote:
Good to see you've up and running, and a good effort for a first time attempt, though try not to press too hard between the frames which will avoid the plank dip from frame to frame.

I'll echo Tomick's compliments and notes - I also had a bit of a problem with 'plank dipping' but this was due to either having gone a bit gung-ho with removing the laser burn on the outside surfaces of one or two formers or, more likely, going along with the assumption that the formers would be perfectly in-line when gluing them to the jig.

For anyone who has not started their Launch build, I would strongly recommend using the edge of a ruler along the formers to ensure that they line up perfectly (on BOTH sides) before actually gluing them in place and, if it's too late, certainly before applying any planks (pretty obvious really, but something that I missed on my first attempt).

Another point of note is the bow; the instructions and photo's suggest contouring the bow former itself as well as the two part 3, removable formers, (see pic below), but I am not convinced that this is correct since the keel part fits the bow former perfectly... It follows that planking the bow into a 'V' shape will result in a 'V' shaped bow (logically enough) whereas the keel is 'square'

I am of a mind that planks should butt-up against the SIDES of the bow former, leaving the laser cut surface of the bow former in a dark brown finish for visual guidance (creating a slightly blunter bow, but allowing a perfect fit of the keel when you come to apply it). I may well be wrong on this point and it doesn't matter that much if you intend to paint your model (since one can always fill any gaps and hide the fix with a lick of paint), but if you intend to leave your model in a wood-finish, then such issues become much more important.

As another 'tip', may I suggest that one also keeps using the keel part as a reference to the lines of the bottom of the launch when contouring the formers (stop sanding frequently and hold up the keel part to the formers at regular intervals as this will illustrate any excessive sanding before it is too late).

This pic illustrates how I 'think' the bow should be contoured (short of filing steps into both sides of the bow former that the planking will sit on). Like I said, I could be wrong, but it does seem logical).

Edit: Note that I have left a little of the laser burn on the edges of the two part 3's - this ensures that, when it comes to planking, each side will be symmetrical - if you remove all the laser burn, it makes it a lot more difficult to see if one side is different to the other.

Tools.