Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Wood Stain Options
andylangtree
#1 Posted : 22 May 2010 01:00:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Looking for help, currently attempting build of Cutty Sark, very old kit i bought of ebay. The kit does not come with copper plated hull so just wondering what is the best woodstain to use to simulate the copper colour. I am approx half way through planking so just thinking ahead, i have posted pics in Other Builds on forum and the instructions that came with the kit show the colours as black towards the top and copper below waterline, i would be very interested in any views regarding colour i should do. Just to add the planking is a very light coloured wood, i think its lime but not sure as the kit is Japanese i think but of great quality.
philjaps1
#2 Posted : 22 May 2010 01:21:43

Groups:

Hi, this link may help you out, - look under the project photo diary section. There’s also a lot of background info on her.

http://www.cuttysark.org.uk/index.cfm

Cornwallmodelboats.co.uk sells copper plates (found under Mantua fittings) or you could use something like Vallejo’s Metallic Copper to simulate the effect.

Hope this helps, Phil
andylangtree
#3 Posted : 22 May 2010 10:53:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the link and suggestions but i am hoping to stain the lower part of the hull, if the planking looks ok of course.
karl1113
#4 Posted : 22 May 2010 11:34:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

hi andy, one of the victory kits I made,they supplied what I thought were copper plates in a bag,they were all green? when I took them out they were pieces of 4mm.x 6mm. x 1mm.wood stained green copronol.instructions said copper soon goes green,and thatwas the effect of them,still felt swindled though Blushing
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Capt Stedders
#5 Posted : 22 May 2010 18:01:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

karl1113 wrote:
hi andy, one of the victory kits I made,they supplied what I thought were copper plates in a bag,they were all green? when I took them out they were pieces of 4mm.x 6mm. x 1mm.wood stained green copronol.instructions said copper soon goes green,and thatwas the effect of them,still felt swindled though Blushing

Whilst it is true that copper can turn a kind of blue-ey green - I agree that you had every right to feel swindled.. Green stained wood is NOT bluey green copper by a long chalk

The b'stards.. Cursing Angry

I hope you complained, vigorously! After all, YOU, (or another modeler, could always paint (or otherwise treat) copper to look aged but you could never make wood look like copper*

*not strictly true, but the effort you would have to go to and the techniques involved are pretty hardcore.

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

karl1113
#6 Posted : 22 May 2010 18:34:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

capt.stedders, the outcome was:- the shopkeeper was so disgusted thst he ordered the full amount in copper plates.free of charge and a 35mm tall figure of nelson,did'nt have the heart to tell him that is was the wrong scale.BigGrin
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Capt Stedders
#7 Posted : 22 May 2010 18:57:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Chalk it up as a win then.

BigGrin

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.