Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Yamato is go Options
sJD77
#1 Posted : 12 December 2012 13:36:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Much to my surprise, my 1st delivery arrived today BigGrin

Only 10 days since subscribing and wasn't expecting till after xmas.
Hull not being started until the new year, so will be concentrating on all metal assembly first, will be posting as I go
Completed:Endeavour Longboat.
Collecting: Yamato
Tomick
#2 Posted : 12 December 2012 14:01:38

Groups:

Look forward to seeing you progress Cool
Ger C
#3 Posted : 12 December 2012 14:43:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome aboard,

I'm looking forward to watching your progress
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 12 December 2012 15:57:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi sJD77
welcome to the Yamato build forum,i will be looking forward to your diary
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#5 Posted : 13 December 2012 01:55:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi sJD77
As Andy, I do, too. Building the Yamato is fun, have a good experience!
Bon Voyage!
Regards,
Yutaro
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
sJD77
#6 Posted : 15 December 2012 14:06:31

Well made a start on the bridge, and the one set of main turrets.
Only came across one problem, when trying the two halves of bridge together, there was a step. The height difference was probably only half mill, but was noticeable

Decided to rectify the problem by filing off the front top locater to allow me to pivot off the back one, making sure both top and bottom remained flat

Everything else went together relatively easily, heres how things look now

Not painting parts until all sub-assemblies are ready to put on to the main super structure. Have painted the turret barrels as they are ready to go on once the turret completed and painted.
Just prior to posting, was checking through hull pieces and realised I had missed off one set of machine gun mechanisms to the bridge, these will be added soon.
Thanks for looking in, please feel free to comment, Steve
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 15 December 2012 16:09:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi sJ
yh some of the castings are a little bit out but there all rectifiable with a little metal bashing,looking good
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

sJD77
#8 Posted : 22 December 2012 16:31:06

Despite originally saying hull would be started in new year, temptation got the better of me Laugh
Had two of the base pieces which were warped, and three of the upright pieces. These were put in warm water then clamped up between some laminate off-cuts, then left for 24 hours. All came out perfectly flat, then construction began.
A bit of sanding required on a few of the slots, then put a drop of super glue to hold things together. Once all together, it was then screwed to build board, then wood glue was used on all internal joins.
Please feel free to comment, thanks Steve

arpurchase
#9 Posted : 22 December 2012 16:42:55

BigGrin Hi sJD77
Had an idea that you wouldn't be able to resist startingLOL, just one thing that might cause a problem later is the screw right at the front where the bow block will attach the two screws between formers 2 and 3 should keep it all flat at the front.
Very nice tidy work keep it up
regards
AndyCool

sJD77
#10 Posted : 22 December 2012 17:04:55

Thanks for looking in Andy, and yes, was aware about the foremost screw, went abit overboard with screws to guarantee flatness whilst glue dried.
Didn't want to end up with a banana LOL
sJD77
#11 Posted : 16 January 2013 14:49:34

Started off this months build with the base of the bridge

Everything filed and sanded down, then glued up and clamped flat

Once glue set, then filled in along joins with putty, left to dry and sanded down.

Even though i'm not painting any of the metal parts until I have everything in place for final assembly,
I decided to give base a couple coats of undercoat as I wanted to see how visible the joins were after
sanding down.

Even though there is a bit of visibility after sanding, after looking through official build, I think
that after the other layers and gun placements are added, then the joins that are slightly visible
are under these parts.
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 16 January 2013 17:43:12

BigGrin Hi Steve
the lower part of the bridge piece is mostly covered by the upper parts but I would recommend that you fill theses lines. To do mine I used isopon plastic car filler this gave a flat all over to the part, just a suggestion Blink and she's coming together nicely
regards
AndyCool

sJD77
#13 Posted : 19 January 2013 00:57:46

Etch parts for the radar up for construction next

Basket pieces cut out to size and then formed around the wooden piece

Next pieces also cut out, formed to shape, then baskets inserted

Finally, etch parts fitted to radar piece

Just got the final bend to do on the etch which will be done after spraying to allow even coverage.
Quite a fiddely set of parts to build. Overall, pleased with how they
turned out.
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 19 January 2013 09:18:25

BigGrin Hi Steve
Nice work on the etch and yes it can be a little challenging with its size, may be a little late to say now but I used a panel pin hammer on the mesh whilst it was in the wooden former to get a good square shape to the panel. Also the indentations on the top of the range finder were not present on the Yamato I filed them off on mine but you can fill them aswell or leave the part as it is , its your choice. Hope this helps.
regards
AndyCool

sJD77
#15 Posted : 01 February 2013 12:39:12

Firstly for this installment, the stern deck, and stern block. No problems with these pieces. Stern block went together nicely,
and was just a case of ensuring everything was even from the centre line with the stern deck pieces.

Now for the problem pieces Cursing
The bow block was firstly built as instructions as a sub assembly. This lead to problems with the back and front having
a height difference of about 3mm, back being the highest point.
Solution for this was dismantling block, and rebuilding in-situ on the hull,thanks Andy for advice.
The problem however didn't go away Cursing
As I approached top of block, I could see that it was giving me the same 3mm height difference. This time though,
I didn't want to dismantle as found it difficult to do with the block as a sub assembly, so god only knows how I would
have coped with taking apart on the hull.
My solution was to place all but last piece on, then placed a 3mm packer at the front edge of final piece and glue it
down to block. Gap was then filled in bit by bit with putty.

The horseshoe type piece still to be added yet, but have a fair bit of sanding to do as the top of block piece
should be level with the reinforcement beam that runs from rib 1 to 4. Horseshoe piece will be added when deck
pieces arrive to ensure everything sanded down to correct angles.
Please feel free to comment, and if anyone thinks I have done the wrong thing with my bow block problem,
then please let me know, all help greatly appreciated. Regards, Steve
arpurchase
#16 Posted : 01 February 2013 20:19:15

BigGrin Hi Steve
nice resolution to the bow block problem and looking good as for advice and help that's what the forums for to help each other get the best from our builds, I would have done the same on the bow block but I think I see the problem in your pics it looks like the no 1 former at the bow is warped bending back at the top, if so this is the problem area not the bow block. If its an optical illusion then my appologys, also if your going for a super smooth hull like mine all the filler will be covered. Hope this helps
regards
Andy

sJD77
#17 Posted : 30 March 2013 01:35:10

Been a while since last posting, but been quietly carrying on with the build.
A few of the metal sections have been partially built

Had a bit of a problem getting the flush fitting parts to hold their grip, despite roughing
up the two sides. Tried using both super glue, and epoxy glue, neither of which held
well, my solution was to drill 3 holes in the two sides to be joined, then fix together with
epoxy glue, which squeezed out of the drilled holes, then once set was like a rivet.
Seems to have done the job this time

Of the main metal sections, still have to re-do the whole base piece of super structure.
Originally when built, the join lines were visible under the coat of primer, so I was re-filling with
putty and sanding down when the glue let me down and it came apart. Will be drilling these pieces
and re-gluing soon.
sJD77
#18 Posted : 30 March 2013 01:49:50

Most of the planking has been done

Have still got a few levels to go at the bow, which will be done after I've done a coating with filler and
sanding down. Also have a bit of sanding to do on the bow block to get the right height before dry fitting
the deck pieces. Please feel free to comment, regards Steve
jase
#19 Posted : 30 March 2013 08:32:10

coming along nicely
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 30 March 2013 10:15:20

BigGrin Hi Steve
Nice work on the planking and progress. The problem I found with the bridge castings is that the sides are not at right angles [wider at the bottom than the top] so there is a gap at the top when fitted together correctly the unwary can end up with a dihedral instead of a flat section, a bit of filler cures the gap problem.
regards
AndyCool